I cant believe this just happened

Belini

Jan 26, 2007
I need to vent, i have been crying for ages and i am so angry. I bought an item of clothing last week and came home and didnt like it and they had a 7 day exchange policy. I went back today, i rushed there in my coffee break. Anyway, after being told they wont refund and will only exchange, i looked around the tried a few things on. After i did that, then she tells me they wont exchange it because it looks "worn". Wait a minute - the tag is still attached and i have a receipt. No sorry, it looks worn. Out comes the owner from the back. I am sorry, it looks worn. After 20 minutes of going back and forth, they then tell me there are 2 buttons missing from the front. WTF!?? What two buttons???? There were NOT 2 buttons there when i bought it!!!!! I say - let me see another one to compare. The owner says sorry we sold out of the one i bought the week before. He then pulls out another dress, similar to the one i bought but in a different colour and it has 2 buttons on the front. My reply is " but its an entirely different dress!" By this time im so angry i storm out. I then go back after work with a friend and he tried to reason with them in a calm manner. Some other lady who works there who wouldnt serve us earlier butts in and tries to interfere. I tell her she didnt want to serve us before so why is she inteferring now?? She then hurls some abuse back at me. I then tell them i will never be buying from them again. Owner laughs in my face. I say its not my problem your clothes are in such bad shape they stretch after someone tries them on - again he laughs. The random lady then starts abusing me and my friend, screaming at the top of her lungs in front of everyone, we then decide to walk out.

I dont care about the money, its the principle. The tag was still on and i was within the 7 days exchange. I cannot tell you guys how highly strung i am right now.

thats terrible!

dont ever go in there again! sell the item on ebay so at least u get some money back, and then spread the word amongst all your friends so that they lose custom!

No wonder you're so angry, I would be too!

Did you pay with a credit card?

If so, call your credit card company & explain the situation to them. They will probably do a charge back. Then the merchant will be out his item and the money. I usually don't suggest this but in this case they certainly deserve it.

Wow this is shocking! Do you have a consumer advice centre near you, if so I would report & see if they can help you, I would not accept that garment from those rude people.

Yes i did pay by CC but i signed for it, does that matter? and yes i will be calling our consumer company. I just dont think there is anything they can do. It just upset me when the owner laughed in my face and then the other lady abused me, i was in shock and burst out cyring. Not how i wanted to react!! ARGHHHH, it does my head in!!!

You can always do a chargeback - especially since you abided by their rules and tried to resolve it with the store first. That's all most credit card companies will ask for.

I recently disputed and won a charge where the merchant said one thing and did another so it is something to consider.

If they don't respond to the investigation withing a certain amount of time (I think 30 days) they'll be out the money regardless.

Another option may be your local BBB office. In the past I have filed complaints but the merchant just said they took care of them and the complaint was listed as resolved even though it wasn't.