Workplace changing or redirecting career

Yes. I started in laboratory research, made a crazy change to retail sales, worked my way into business management. Currently trying to pair the two by applying to medical sales positions. Unfortunately I lack the B2B sales they all seem to want their applicants to have.

Me! it's tough when all I get are job offers from my previous industry. My previous job has been extremely stressful so I am now searching for something with less pay & stress. I have indicated I am willing to take a major paycut but I don't even get any calls or interviews from those I applied. But I have only started looking lately so I am telling myself to be patient & not give up.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to purse a career in retail fashion, but I took a federal job right at of college and I don't have any retail experience. My major was merchandising management in college...almost 10 years ago, now I feel like I'm stuck! I even tried to pick up some holiday work at a couple department stores w/o success:sad:

I'm at a crossroads myself. Former librarian, now working in web design but I don't think it's for me. I'm freelancing but I'm not making enough to support myself properly. Decisions, decisions. :-s

I'm hoping to make a career change as well. The work that I did before at least somewhat translates into the field I'm hoping to move into, but I am finding it incredibly hard to even get an interview. From the few hiring managers I've talked to, it seems that taking a position that isn't in litigation and that would be significantly lower in salary is preventing people from even considering me, since they assume I will be "bored" with what they perceive to be a job with less responsibility. I don't know how many times I can explain that I want to make a change into HR because I want to get away from litigation. :smile: It's been really tough going, though.

I'm hoping to make a career change as well. The work that I did before at least somewhat translates into the field I'm hoping to move into, but I am finding it incredibly hard to even get an interview. From the few hiring managers I've talked to, it seems that taking a position that isn't in litigation and that would be significantly lower in salary is preventing people from even considering me, since they assume I will be "bored" with what they perceive to be a job with less responsibility. I don't know how many times I can explain that I want to make a change into HR because I want to get away from litigation. :smile: It's been really tough going, though.

You could start off HR legal consulting on the side, maybe?

Has anyone on this thread taken a career assessment? I took one last week and got the results today.
My interests don't overlap with my aptitudes, which is going to make it even harder to decide on a career path. *headdesk*

You could start off HR legal consulting on the side, maybe?

For the past few months, I've been looking at so many different HR opportunities. I've been trying to focus on positions that really benefit from having legal knowledge in a specific area, such as positions that deal significantly with disability issues or FMLA. And I've been applying for any legal recruiting positions that I see. I've also been applying to numerous generalist/coordinator positions as well.

But, from what a friend who works in HR as a high-level recruiter told me, the problem I have is that, while I may have legal knowledge and experience related to employment issues, I don't have the day-to-day working knowledge and experience of someone who works in HR. For example, I understand the legal implications of working with a PIP and how it should be structured, etc., but I've never actually counseled someone on a PIP. I did interview with one company that did HR consulting (which was more broad-based HR, not specifically legal consulting), which would have been great, but the recruiter seemed less than impressed that I wouldn't be able to independently answer every HR question presented right off the bat. So that lack of day-to-day knowledge is really holding me back at this point.

I even considered going back and getting a Master in Human Resources Management (OSU has a specific degree for it), but the friend told me that, even though I would have more HR-specific knowledge, it would make me even more unemployable. He told me that, with a Masters degree as well as a J.D., employers would assume I would want too much money and would toss my resume in the trash immediately (he said he would be inclined to do the same thing if he was presented with my resume for an HR generalist or coordinator position). So, since I don't have actual HR experience (as opposed to just employment law experience), I can't even get an interview. Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated.

At this point, I'm almost considering just going back and taking classes for a completely different degree.