Do your diamonds do this: turn dark purple in direct light/flash?

aquahot

M.
O.G.
Jul 5, 2006
I just got a diamond that I purchased online and it's a little annoying to see it turn purple in flash photoes. Do your diamonds do this? It doesn't matter how far away the camera is, as long as I use flash, the diamond turns blackish. Most of the time we take pictures at dimly lit restaurants, and this effect is bugging me a bit.

It's like it has split personalities! :mad:

ugh, I don't know how to resize the picture.

Attachments

• photo-5 copy.JPG
    photo-5 copy.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 3,832
I've never seen that! what the colour specs on the diamond?

sometimes my yellow diamond will go brownish if the room is dark and there is pot lights in the ceiling....not it's most attractive angle I guess!

That is so pretty! I love diamonds with personality. Mine has never done that and it has strong blue fluorescence. I was trying to get a good picture but the iPhone camera flash kept blurring the diamond. It still looked very white though.

That is kind of interesting, esp since you say there isn't any fluorescence. You say it does that EVERY time you use the flash? Does it do it from any angle? Only in lighting situations that require flash? What type of camera are you using? Is this your phone? Is your phone colored or using a colored case?

My stone has med-strong blue fluorescence and sometimes I have a weird blueish response to flash, but it's usually when I am at an angle, not head on.

It's an AGS ideal cut with ideal symmetry and polish.

It's purple when shot from all angles EXCEPT from the pavillion. From the side, it looks tootally clear.

That is kind of interesting, esp since you say there isn't any fluorescence. You say it does that EVERY time you use the flash? Does it do it from any angle? Only in lighting situations that require flash? What type of camera are you using? Is this your phone? Is your phone colored or using a colored case?

My stone has med-strong blue fluorescence and sometimes I have a weird blueish response to flash, but it's usually when I am at an angle, not head on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.18.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.18.04 PM.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 3,219
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.17.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.17.05 PM.png
    192.8 KB · Views: 3,283
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.25.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.25.54 PM.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 3,221
Last edited:
I see all kinds of colors in photographs to be honest. Even on celebs and in magazines. Lighting and flash really alter a color or brilliance on diamonds IMO.
In one picture people will comments about how weird a celebs ring looks, in the next w/ controlled lighting the strange color is gone.

I just got a diamond that I purchased online and it's a little annoying to see it turn purple in flash photoes. Do your diamonds do this? It doesn't matter how far away the camera is, as long as I use flash, the diamond turns blackish. Most of the time we take pictures at dimly lit restaurants, and this effect is bugging me a bit.

It's like it has split personalities! :mad:

ugh, I don't know how to resize the picture.
Fluorescence?