When one pays $300 for designer sunnies, one is paying for...

e_nmn_m

O.G.
Jan 4, 2006
what, exactly?

Found a pair by Versace that I really liked, but I read somewhere that there were only 3 or so companies that make ALL glasses in the world. I know that the quality of the lens is important, but if I buy these, am I paying for anything other than the name? I mean, Donatella did not sit down and draw these.

Is there any difference between all the sunglasses?

I think it's possible you read that many of the major brands are produced under three main companies? While I don't know for sure, I don't think all glasses come out of three companies. For example, Luxottica produce Chanel, Prada, Ray Ban, Persol, Tiffany & Co. amongst many, many others, and Safilo produce Dior, Bottega Veneta, Marc Jacobs, Gucci etc. and I think Marchon produce CK and Fendi plus others. Those are the big three major designer distributors that I can think of off the top of my head.

Aside from that, other companies definitely produce their own stuff. With a Versace pair, they are produced by Luxottica, and as with any pair of sunglasses, you are paying for design, frame and lens quality. I'd say while you are paying a premium for the actual Versace logo, or the design, the frame and lens quality is superior too. The frames tend to be lighter, and will generally last longer, though lenses will depend on what you're comparing it to, but it'd definitely be better than most bargain buy two for $10 sort of sunglasses.

Hope that helps! Fairly long, tldr: they're better quality :sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

^^ Yes, that must have been what I read! I know Luxottica also owns Ray-Ban and Sunglasses Hut.

I once had a pair of uber-cheap sunglasses and never again. I guess I was looking for a sweet spot--a really good pair that didn't have a designer logo premium.

My sister recently bought Maui Jim sunglasses (non-prescription) and she said the lenses were like looking through an HD lens.

I don't know if people would call them "designer" but they do cost $$$.

(I might get them for prescription sunglasses next time I need them.)

I think it's possible you read that many of the major brands are produced under three main companies? While I don't know for sure, I don't think all glasses come out of three companies. For example, Luxottica produce Chanel, Prada, Ray Ban, Persol, Tiffany & Co. amongst many, many others, and Safilo produce Dior, Bottega Veneta, Marc Jacobs, Gucci etc. and I think Marchon produce CK and Fendi plus others. Those are the big three major designer distributors that I can think of off the top of my head.

Aside from that, other companies definitely produce their own stuff. With a Versace pair, they are produced by Luxottica, and as with any pair of sunglasses, you are paying for design, frame and lens quality. I'd say while you are paying a premium for the actual Versace logo, or the design, the frame and lens quality is superior too. The frames tend to be lighter, and will generally last longer, though lenses will depend on what you're comparing it to, but it'd definitely be better than most bargain buy two for $10 sort of sunglasses.

Hope that helps! Fairly long, tldr: they're better quality :sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

Luxottica also has Versace, dolce and gabbana etc but yes marklin, safilo and luxottica are the powerhouses

My sister recently bought Maui Jim sunglasses (non-prescription) and she said the lenses were like looking through an HD lens.

I don't know if people would call them "designer" but they do cost $$$.

(I might get them for prescription sunglasses next time I need them.)

Maui Jim is going to be different from designers like Gucci, Versace, etc. Maui Jim, like Oakley, are geared towards outdoors-y activities so they're going to be polarized, have specialized lenses, etc.

This story about Luxottica aired again this evening on 60 minutes - it's interesting:

http://youtu.be/voUiWOGv8ec

Yes I saw this 60 minutes interview. Luxottica owns quite a lot! So you are definitely paying for the name on most brands since they said it costs maybe $30 to manufacture. There are a few brands that manufacture their own such as Warby Parker and Westward Leaning. I cringe now looking at sunglasses prices, Ray Bans are now the most I will spend as I can't see spending up to $400 for a pair

Because I know it truly has protection for my else, I don't really know what kind of lens they use on the cheaper and trendy sunglasses. I wear it to protect my eyes, nice looking is just a bonus.

Quality sunglasses are one of the most important accessories to buy.
I've owned a couple of really cheap, forever21 type pairs and never again. The lenses were hard to see through, reflected weird shadows a lot (not safe for driving) and didn't have proper UV protection.

I find it hard to believe that ALL sunglasses from Chanel to the ones you find at the dollar store are made in one of three places.

I don't want vision problems or wrinkles when I'm older, so the cheapest pair I have are by Guess

I think I read somewhere that cheaper brands don't even have any UV protection which is so important.

Also I'd like to pipe in that in my experience, they last a lot longer. I still wear a pair of Chanel sunnies that I bought almost 9 years ago. I've dropped them more times than I can remember and they're still in great shape, hardly a scratch on them!

Also I'd like to pipe in that in my experience, they last a lot longer. I still wear a pair of Chanel sunnies that I bought almost 9 years ago. I've dropped them more times than I can remember and they're still in great shape, hardly a scratch on them!
I love sunglasses! My collection is currently 77 pairs of sunglasses, all mostly designers. Dolce and Gabbana, Chanel, Tom Ford, Prada, RayBan, Bvlgari, Versace, Miu Miu, Oakley, Persol.

The sunglasses are better quality than the cheaper pair, they are more comfortable, lighter frames. For me, they're my favourite accessory.

On average, sunglasses cost 1/3 of the retail price to actually make. Partially you're paying for the name but honestly, for most designer items, you're paying partially for the name. :smile:

While the way they look is definitely important, my answer to your question is 'the brand name'. Especially with accessories and fragrance, that's pretty much it. Aside from what the other responses have already addressed as far as cost to the company, if it matters to you that Miuccia Prada designed your sunglasses, you've got another thing coming.

I've worked at high end fashion places and while the clothing is designed by the design team, accessories and fashion are often contracted out with the Designer's Sunglass Line worked on by a team outside and the designs are just OKed by the Designer's team before going into production. Other times, interns or assistants sketch out a few 'design' ideas for these items and these are OKed and then passed onto the eyeglass companies to produce.

What you definitely aren't paying for is high quality optics. whilst I love the look of designer sunglasses, I cannot bear wearing just a dark plastic lens that doesn't enhance my vision. I'd rather go for the high quality optics in my sunglasses.

I have recently become a sunglass junkie. The most interesting thing for me from the video other than Luxottica's monopoly on eyewear is that the designers do not design the sunglasses in house and outsources the creative process. That kinda sucks and the premium price is all branding with little creative input from the design house.