Home & Garden *~Calling All Gardening Lovers~* Sow and Show Your Garden Stuff

Alex Spoils Me

Sofa King Spoiled.
Aug 14, 2009
:wave: I love to grow things in the garden, or at least try to, and thought starting a thread all about growing fruits, veggies, herbs, or whatever you like would be nice :sunshine:

I like to horse around with growing from seed (a real pain in the a$$ for me sometimes, lol) or from stuff already started in pots or packs from 'mom-and-pops' and garden centers. Love exchanging plants too. :flowers:

Feel free to share whatever you want: Growing techniques, what you grow, what you buy, your triumphs and your woes. And LOTS AND LOTS OF :coolpics: because :useless:. (I know there is a pics thread but can we share?, lol)

I will start posting my stuff tomorrow to get the thread rolling but if anyone would love to start, please be my guest :rochard:

Hope lots of ya want to come and show your green thumbs :tup: or your side-ways thumb (no smiley, lol).

Let the season begin :yahoo:

*thanks for the push CB*

Last edited:
I cannot believe no one has replied to this thread! :nogood: I started my first raised garden this year and am a novice gardener. I need all of the tips and tricks I can get.

Because I am not in a warm climate, I just started digging and planting today, and I probably won't have the bulk of it done until at least this weekend. I will try to take pics this weekend to show my progress.

I planted the pots on my front porch with spike plants, vines and petunias tonight, and I planted impatiens around our mailbox (north side). I dug up the front garden, but I still need to plant flowers there and put mulch down. I intend to dig the south side of the house and put my tomatoes and peppers there. It is very sunny and hot there, and those plants flourish right next to the house.

I also have raised beds a good distance from the house, although in full sun. I intend to plant watermelon and cantaloupe seeds in one of them and I haven't yet decided on the other. I find that I am always surprised at how much space vining plants need; it is always more than I anticipate. And they need a lot more water than I usually think, too, and I intend to lay soaker hoses out this summer so they can get more water in a more even fashion.

Put up photos of your own progress, too. I'd love to see!

Well, I'll jump in here. I've got petunias in, patio tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, small yellow pear tomatoes, swiss chard and bush beans - all in containers. My one raised bed has chives, basil, rosemary, parsley, oregano, thyme and cucumbers that I'm going to train up the trellis at the back. This weekend I'm going to get a second raised bed and add peppers and beefsteak tomatoes. I'll take pictures after I get the second bed in.

On a side note, my thyme is going crazy so I harvested today and tomorrow I will chop it; then freezing them in ice cube trays with olive oil so I can have fresh thyme in the winter.

I cannot believe no one has replied to this thread! :nogood: I started my first raised garden this year and am a novice gardener. I need all of the tips and tricks I can get.
What did you plant? I've been gardening since I was able to walk...some 40+ years ago...I'd love assist a novice gardener. :sunshine:I can't wait to see pics of your raised bed!

Because I am not in a warm climate, I just started digging and planting today, and I probably won't have the bulk of it done until at least this weekend. I will try to take pics this weekend to show my progress.

I planted the pots on my front porch with spike plants, vines and petunias tonight, and I planted impatiens around our mailbox (north side). I dug up the front garden, but I still need to plant flowers there and put mulch down. I intend to dig the south side of the house and put my tomatoes and peppers there. It is very sunny and hot there, and those plants flourish right next to the house.

I also have raised beds a good distance from the house, although in full sun. I intend to plant watermelon and cantaloupe seeds in one of them and I haven't yet decided on the other. I find that I am always surprised at how much space vining plants need; it is always more than I anticipate. And they need a lot more water than I usually think, too, and I intend to lay soaker hoses out this summer so they can get more water in a more even fashion.

Put up photos of your own progress, too. I'd love to see!
Sounds like a great garden plan...can't wait to see pictures.

ok, here are my pics,...I did post in the garden photos already but wanted to share here too...

raised beds with herbs, tomatoes and peppers...

The deck with flowers, tomatoes, beans and swiss chard...

This is my first year of full on vegetable gardening in my raised beds. Here in Texas our growing season is almost already over because it just gets so incredibly hot that most plants just wither in the summer heat. But the plus side is that we can grow almost year round because of fairly mild winters. I am growing EVERYTHING in containers and raised beds: kale, radishes, carrots, tomatoes, salad greens, radishes, green beans, potatoes, and lots and lots of herbs such as mint, basil, oregano, thyme, sage, and chervil.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1370208659.203567.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1370208672.349580.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1370208683.754784.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1370208697.113455.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1370208716.214391.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1370208633.871764.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1370208633.871764.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 315
What did you plant? I've been gardening since I was able to walk...some 40+ years ago...I'd love assist a novice gardener. :sunshine:I can't wait to see pics of your raised bed!
:hi: Hi there,

Like I said in my post, this is my first garden. So, I now realize that my tomatoes are way too close together. I planted squash and had no idea it would vine out all over. LOL! So far, I have lots of flowers but no squash. I googled it and I need to help move the male contribution to the female. However, when I go outside, the flowers are always closed. I have jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, bell peppers (red, purple, and green), strawberries, radishes, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, thyme . . .:smile:

:hi: Hi there,

Like I said in my post, this is my first garden. So, I now realize that my tomatoes are way too close together. I planted squash and had no idea it would vine out all over. LOL! So far, I have lots of flowers but no squash. I googled it and I need to help move the male contribution to the female. However, when I go outside, the flowers are always closed. I have jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, bell peppers (red, purple, and green), strawberries, radishes, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, thyme . . .:smile:
Ok, your strawberries are good but probably will not produce much until next year, your herbs should be good but be patient, don't try to harvest them too early as much as you want to!!!(and don't be afraid of the flower, they are eatable and can help your plant reproduce, continuing the live cycle.) letting them establish themselves will make them better producers in the long run. As much as it KILLS you, thin the tomatoes they will do better not so close together, they should have 18-24" (12-18" at the lease) between each for the best results and harvest!!
Squash, cucumbers, watermelon etc need lots of spreading room, some of the smaller fruiters like some cucumbers can be trained up a trellis...although it is more difficult. Do you have anything growing with the squash or are they in their own space with lots of expansion options??? From what I know they will spread and continually want their own space to grow...let me know what other questions you have...and what you have growing with what...Best Of Luck!!!!!

Ok, your strawberries are good but probably will not produce much until next year, your herbs should be good but be patient, don't try to harvest them too early as much as you want to!!!(and don't be afraid of the flower, they are eatable and can help your plant reproduce, continuing the live cycle.) letting them establish themselves will make them better producers in the long run. As much as it KILLS you, thin the tomatoes they will do better not so close together, they should have 18-24" (12-18" at the lease) between each for the best results and harvest!!
Squash, cucumbers, watermelon etc need lots of spreading room, some of the smaller fruiters like some cucumbers can be trained up a trellis...although it is more difficult. Do you have anything growing with the squash or are they in their own space with lots of expansion options??? From what I know they will spread and continually want their own space to grow...let me know what other questions you have...and what you have growing with what...Best Of Luck!!!!!
Ok, this is what happens when I read and respond at 1am with eyelids barely open and the brain already asleep, sorry...

I am so glad folks are posting!!! My heart melts at garden pics.

I will get off my mac and get on my phone to post what's coming up so far.

Gardens are looking great, ladies.

Ok, this is what happens when I read and respond at 1am with eyelids barely open and the brain already asleep, sorry...

Cucs, squash and melons are vigorous growers. I learned that the hard way, lol.

This year I planted them in a raised bed with my peppers and eggplants. Where I planted them I knew I needed a trellis. You'll see what I did when I post some pics.

Oh, once your squash start growing, don't let them get too big as they lose lots of flavor and get mealy. Just an aside. :smile:

Cucs, squash and melons are vigorous growers. I learned that the hard way, lol.

This year I planted them in a raised bed with my peppers and eggplants. Where I planted them I knew I needed a trellis. You'll see what I did when I post some pics.

Oh, once your squash start growing, don't let them get too big as they lose lots of flavor and get mealy. Just an aside. :smile:
ASM, if you see the trellis at the back of the raised bed on the right, that's where I'm going to work on training my cucs!

Last edited: