Morris Moskowitz

Sep 23, 2006
I want to know what can you tell about this designer? Are they current as well as vintage handbags? Or only vintage now? Does anyone have any on this designer's handbags? How doe they hold up. Especially, the leather ones. Any info would be great. Thank you!:biggrin:

I have two! I totally forgot about them! I wonder if I could sell them on Ebay? (Never did before). One is a small half shape moon size bag, was sold to me as a hobo. It's woven leather much like the BV's except for the shoulder strap which is flat and attached by two small antique brass rings. If I can I will post photos. The other is a tiny bag on a long strap. Never had any use for that one! Boy do you bring back memories!!!

It's a vintage brand. I have a large hand-coloured python clutch from the 1980s. I can't really comment on durability etc because I only use it very occasionally but I can tell you that IMO the quality is as good as some of the premier designers that have forums designated to them.

:tup: MM

^^ Thank you! I plan to wear it this winter. I know that the print is retro, but I like the fact that it is unique. I mean I love LV and burberry, but those don't become unique anymore when everyone else has the same handbag. KWIM? So, lately, I have been buying vintage handbags. This way I'm a little bit different.

I wonder what happened to this Designer also. I think Morris Moskowitz is dead. I think he died last year or fairly recently. Maybe his handbags just weren't popular anymore?

SAM_1409.jpg
SAM_1407.jpg
SAM_1411.jpg
SAM_1413.jpg
SAM_1412.jpg

This is my Morris Moskowitz handbag, that I bought at a flea market for $4.00 it's in excellent condition. Right when I got home I started to search online for any information i.e. what year it was made, where it was sold at, how much the bag is worth today. I found many Morris Moskowitz bags but none like mine, if you have any info on this bag I would love to know all about it. Thank you.

SAM_1409.jpg
SAM_1407.jpg
SAM_1411.jpg
SAM_1413.jpg
SAM_1412.jpg

This is my Morris Moskowitz handbag, that I bought at a flea market for $4.00 it's in excellent condition. Right when I got home I started to search online for any information i.e. what year it was made, where it was sold at, how much the bag is worth today. I found many Morris Moskowitz bags but none like mine, if you have any info on this bag I would love to know all about it. Thank you.
Depending on the condition they range from the low $20s to the high $40s (ebay). Morris Moskovitz used different materials, including exotic skin and felt.

I love these threads about designers that had their day and now few have heard of them. And then you go looking on ebay and see you can get their stuff in all kinds of interesting high end materials for a song, had they been able to keep the fame in their name like the other big well known luxe brands, they'd be selling for fifty times as much.

I love these threads about designers that had their day and now few have heard of them. And then you go looking on ebay and see you can get their stuff in all kinds of interesting high end materials for a song, had they been able to keep the fame in their name like the other big well known luxe brands, they'd be selling for fifty times as much.

If you're interested in vintage designer brands, check out the book "Exotic Skin: Alligator and Crocodile Handbags", and its preview here: http://www.exoticskinhandbags.com/#!__designers.

You can see the examples of Moriss Moskowitz (MM) handbags in the book on the pages 56, 57, 105, 225, 236. The company specialized in upscale handbags made from leather, skins, fabrics, vinyl, etc., and was sold in upscale department stores and boutiques next to other prominent mid-century brands, such as Nettie Rosenstein and Richard Koret. In fact, Judith Leiber started her career working for Morris Moscowitz in the 1950s. Their most successful collection was offered by Lord & Taylor in 1957 and consisted from tailored dinner handbags made from snakeskin. Those can be found online for about $100 - $300, and they are very up-to-date, especially beautiful when in great condition. :heart:

Hi Everyone, I bought a clutch at a market today for $2. It a Morris Moskovitz made for Bergdorf Goodman. I have no idea how old it is and what it's actually worth. This is my first vintage bag and I think I'm hooked already ;)

My MM is a beautiful red leather, inside and out, superbly crafted satchel type, without any metal embellishments at all. Bought in the '70/'80s and at the time rather expensive. Except for some very minor scuffs on the 4 bottom corners, almost like new.