Food Help with alfredo sauce

Sudy

Nov 2, 2006
I'm absolutely horrible at cooking and now that I dont live with my dad anymore (he's my #1 chef), I'm completely lost. I'm tired of ordering out so i'm thinking of making chicken fettucini alfredo this weekend and i've searched plenty of alfredo sauce recipes. There were so many options and different ingredients involved and i don't know which to choose. :shrugs:

So I'd really appreciate it if suggestions can be made for a fool proof recipe. Thanks a lot!

If you want an easy alfredo sauce that doesn't taste awful, buy the premade classico and moldify it.

I do this:
dump the can of classico into the pan, start the heat on the stove at high, stir, add 1/2 cup of (white) wine, add some chopped challots, add some chopped garlic, add some shredded parm or other sharp cheese (anything but a soft cheese would work, stir stir stir!!!!, add some more wine if needed, check consistence, taste, and you're done if it tastes right.

It's also a good way to get the sauce and the wine to go.

Also, I use a frying pan so that the heat distributes more evenly and quickly. And the wine is supposed to mostly boil off.

Easiest Alfredo ever.
But it Isn't healthy at all, so don't say I didn't warn you!:graucho:

cook noodles according to package directions. Drain them. Don't rinse. Return them to the pot in which you cooked the noodles and add 2 tbs of pure butter (the real stuff, no margarine and not low fat anything, or it won't work) to the hot noodles. Stir, while quickly adding approx 1/2 to 1 cup of heavy cream (not milk or half and half, that won't work either) and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese. Stir to coat and combine over lowest heat. Add a little cream if it seems not creamy enough. Season to taste with salt, pepper and what ever else you like (I put fresh or dried herbs).

Not counting the cooking time for the noodles, this should all take no more than 2 or 3 minutes, so make sure you have everything measured and and ready to go before you drain the noodles.

I don't think alfredo is healthy at all with all the butter and cheese it requires any way you make it lol

Thank you coach4me and purly for your recipes. For now I think i'll just purchase the ingredients and leave the decision to the actual night i'll make the pasta. See what I mean? So many different methods and they all work. It's a matter of choosing.

Easiest Alfredo ever.
But it Isn't healthy at all, so don't say I didn't warn you!:graucho:

cook noodles according to package directions. Drain them. Don't rinse. Return them to the pot in which you cooked the noodles and add 2 tbs of pure butter (the real stuff, no margarine and not low fat anything, or it won't work) to the hot noodles. Stir, while quickly adding approx 1/2 to 1 cup of heavy cream (not milk or half and half, that won't work either) and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese. Stir to coat and combine over lowest heat. Add a little cream if it seems not creamy enough. Season to taste with salt, pepper and what ever else you like (I put fresh or dried herbs).

Not counting the cooking time for the noodles, this should all take no more than 2 or 3 minutes, so make sure you have everything measured and and ready to go before you drain the noodles.

Pretty close to what I do, learned from my itailan aunts.....big receipe

1 pound on nodles=
1 stick butter
1 pint half and half or cream (set in on the the counter while you cook the pasta, shouldn't be cold)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese (good stuff, not the green can stuff)
salt and peeper to taste.

Couldn't be easier....you can also stir in 2 cans of drained and rinsed shrimp or crab too.

I make an alfredo that will clog your arteries in an hour my friend

Cook either dried or semi-soft packaged fettucini noodles according to directions (the packaged ones are usually in the cold cases). Do not rinse, do not add olive oil to the boiling water, but DO add a bit of salt to the water. Don't butter the noodles either.

To a wide skillet, add a cup and a half of either heavy whipping cream or european cream. Let it boil up, and as soon as it does this, add just over half a stick of butter, and stir until it melts. Let it boil up a bit again, then add parsley (fresh or dry, your choice, doesn't matter!) and pepper. Remove from the burner, and add a cup or so of parmesan cheese (grated, either fresh, something a bit pricey, as in, not in the green kraft container, or just use the stuff in the green container, no big deal, the differences are subtle to most!). Whisk it in thoroughly, and check the consistency. If it's rich and creamy, perfect! If it's a bit liquid-y, just add some more cheese. Heat for just a few seconds on the burner (not long though, or the cheese might get lumpy and gross), and add salt to taste, though you shouldn't need much because parmesan cheese is pretty salty as is. Toss noodles in mix! Done! ^_^

To pack a REAL fat punch, make it like I do when I've been binging on veggies and fruit for a couple weeks: Add just over a half a pack of cooked bacon, or bacon and ****ake mushrooms, or bacon and broccolini...you get the idea! :biggrin:

But keep in mind, this recipe is as FAT as it gets, but hell you only live once, you might as well indulge every once in a while! :graucho:

I usually get the Lipton soups packages. They already come with pasta and sauce (all you need to add is milk, butter and water) and let it simmer. Probably not the healthiest choice, but then again, made-from-scratch Alfredo sauce isn't either!!

Of course I'm banned from the stuff now, but I do remember it tasting quite good. Give it a shot!

I made it last night and it turned out to be edible! Thank you everyone for the suggestions and recipes.

I'm calling it edible instead of great because it really just turned out to be basic pasta. As a first timer, I really am proud and wolfed quite a lot down. I'm sure I'll feel guilty about that later lol As for next time, I think I'll be adding garlic or some herbs for more flavor. I followed every step and my sauce was neither clumpy or cheesy. However, the salt and pepper I added still wasn't enough to give it a unique taste.

Thank you!