Regular Alexa or Small Bayswater Satchel?

mllev

Nov 4, 2010
Hi all! I'm considering buying a new Mulberry bag, and having trouble deciding between regular Alexa and small Bayswater satchel, and I was hoping you could offer me some opinions to help me make my choice! The colour would be oak in both.

I already have a Bayswater and some other bigger bags so I'm looking for something smallish that can be worn crossbody. Is there a big difference in size between these two? At Mulberry.com Alexa looks a lot bigger, I think, but I remember seeing a picture of these two side by side and they looked pretty similar in size. I'm quite a tall gal (175cm), and I'm worried that the Bays Satchel would look "shrunken" on me, but then I also think I'd like a sturdier bag as I've seen come pictures where Alexas don't look pretty because they are soooo slouchy.

So, which one would you get if you were me? (I'm also open to other suggestions ;))

I have a black SBS and I absolutely love it. It holds loads while still being compact and I love the structure of it.

I like the Alexa too (was deliberating over an oak one recently) but she's just a bit too slouchy for my tastes - I love the styling of Alexa, but I think the slouch would bother me after a while.

mllev said:
Hi all! I'm considering buying a new Mulberry bag, and having trouble deciding between regular Alexa and small Bayswater satchel, and I was hoping you could offer me some opinions to help me make my choice! The colour would be oak in both.

I already have a Bayswater and some other bigger bags so I'm looking for something smallish that can be worn crossbody. Is there a big difference in size between these two? At Mulberry.com Alexa looks a lot bigger, I think, but I remember seeing a picture of these two side by side and they looked pretty similar in size. I'm quite a tall gal (175cm), and I'm worried that the Bays Satchel would look "shrunken" on me, but then I also think I'd like a sturdier bag as I've seen come pictures where Alexas don't look pretty because they are soooo slouchy.

So, which one would you get if you were me? (I'm also open to other suggestions ;))

I'm not going to be much help but I don't think there's much difference size wise between them. The deciding factor will definitely come down to the leather. Like you say the bays satchel has more structure and alexa's buffalo leather can vary widely. Would you be able to visit a store to see them irl and try them? What colour is your bays you already have?

Last edited:
I have to say I want the SBS because the Alexa just isn't as structured a bag as I like. In real life I personally think the SBS is much nicer on the eye too, and Alexa is such an IT bag - everyone has one! ;)

I'm not going to be much help but I don't think there's much difference size wise between them. The deciding factor will definitely come down to the leather. Like you say the bays satchel has more structure and alexa's buffalo leather can vary widely. Would you be able to visit a store to see them irl and try them? What colour is your bays you already have?

Unfortunately there aren't any Mulberry shops where I live, so I can't really try them on which is one of my concerns when it comes to Alexa.
My Bays is black, and in Buffalo Shine Leather!

I have to say I want the SBS because the Alexa just isn't as structured a bag as I like. In real life I personally think the SBS is much nicer on the eye too, and Alexa is such an IT bag - everyone has one! ;)

Yes, that's true, I see a lot of Alexas where I live but I've yet to see a SBS!

Unfortunately there aren't any Mulberry shops where I live, so I can't really try them on which is one of my concerns when it comes to Alexa.
My Bays is black, and in Buffalo Shine Leather!

I'm leaning towards the SBS then. If you can't pick the alexa in person I'd be concerned I'd be disappointed when I received it. Especially if your not sure of the slouchy look. I have an mini Leo suede/patent alexa and a heritage SBS in nightshade. I quite fancy the new oak printed alexa as it'll be more structured.

I have a black SBS and I absolutely love it. It holds loads while still being compact and I love the structure of it.

Can I ask you what do you usually carry in your SBS? I'm trying to get an idea how much it holds as I tend to carry a lot of stuff which is why I usually go with bigger bags.

I'm leaning towards the SBS then. If you can't pick the alexa in person I'd be concerned I'd be disappointed when I received it. Especially if your not sure of the slouchy look. I have an mini Leo suede/patent alexa and a heritage SBS in nightshade. I quite fancy the new oak printed alexa as it'll be more structured.

I hadn't even thought about the printed alexa, thank you for the idea! :biggrin:

Can I ask you what do you usually carry in your SBS? I'm trying to get an idea how much it holds as I tend to carry a lot of stuff which is why I usually go with bigger bags.

I think I may have posted a photo in the "whats in your mulberyy" thread - that might help you?

I usually have a kindle, long locked purse, pouch, perfume, phone, keys, diary and sometimes sunglasses - it holds loads without being stretched!

I think I may have posted a photo in the "whats in your mulberyy" thread - that might help you?

I usually have a kindle, long locked purse, pouch, perfume, phone, keys, diary and sometimes sunglasses - it holds loads without being stretched!

I took a look at the thread you suggested and I'm surprised how much it does hold, thanks! I also saw your family picture and your SBS didn't look as tiny next to the regular Bays as I expected.

I do like the look of printed Alexa but now I'm more confused after looking how much SBS can hold.. Eek, I'm starting to think that I can't make this decision without actually seeing the bags in person, so maybe I'll take a trip to the UK, it's been a while since I've been there anyway :P

Oh, and thank you all for your help so far! :flowers:

mllev said:
I took a look at the thread you suggested and I'm surprised how much it does hold, thanks! I also saw your family picture and your SBS didn't look as tiny next to the regular Bays as I expected.

I do like the look of printed Alexa but now I'm more confused after looking how much SBS can hold.. Eek, I'm starting to think that I can't make this decision without actually seeing the bags in person, so maybe I'll take a trip to the UK, it's been a while since I've been there anyway :P

Oh, and thank you all for your help so far! :flowers:

I would say that there still space once I have all my stuff in the SBS!

I think it's always better to have a play with the bags first (if possible!) but I'm sure you'll live whatever you go for!

I think it really depends what you plan on having in the bag when you use it. If it's going to be an everyday kind of bag and you're going to put more than a wallet, lip balm and sunglasses, then the Alexa may not be as floppy as expected.

I recently got a regular Alexa and noticed that if it's even a third full, it isn't floppy. For example, if I have a sunglasses case, credit card case, dog leash, tissues, Wet Ones, small camera and a pen, it looks and feels fairly firm when closed, yet still has a lot more room for a book, pencil case, scarf, maybe more. If you can get to a shop with the Alexa, ask if you can put some stuff in it and find a mirror! :smile: