Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
katev said:
I know what you mean. I worked on a british tan city bag that had a strap connection like that. It looked kind of "stretched and twisted and chewed." I didn't have much luck with that bag overall so I don't know if my advice will be any good, but here goes.

I would rehab the bag in the usual manner giving the area lots of moisturizer. When it is dry I would take a thin, fine scissors, like a nail scissors and just trim a smidge off to get rid of the shaggy edges. Then I might try some leather-safe fabric glue on the edges to stablilize it and keep it from stretching and twisting so much in the future.

Those are just my thoughts, and I don't know if they will do any good. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise you better, good luck!

Thanks! I was considering some fabric glue. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

My City Bag rehab is going great - I think this one was in the best shape of the few rehabs I've done so far. Can't wait to start carrying it.

One thing I was hoping to get some input on...the leather tab that holds the strap to the bag - on one side that tab is stretched and floppy. It's not torn and no loose threads, just...stretched. Should I attempt to do something to reinforce it? If so, any suggestions? Here's a pic - not sure if it shows what I'm trying to say:

I've been working on my nightmare Tribeca tote and the second piece of leather that is wrapped inside the loop actually disintegrated out in the bath :nogood: Now I have a floppy, loose piece like what you are describing. Maybe this happened with yours? The bag has four strap loops, and the others look like the inside piece of leather has dry rot. Really wish I would've noticed before I put her in the bath. I will probably try to stabilize it somehow, as it seems like the piece of leather remaining will receive more stress now that it isn't reinforced. Let me know if you find a solution.

I'll see if I can get a picture.

it's not tarnish actually. I can see the brass under the paint, the paint itself is what is scratched and worn. It's a yellow gold color, not warm like the rest of the brass.

The rest of the hardware is brass without any paint. Only the front attachment has this. I feel like lacquer thinner would remove it. But only if it were soaked there and I don't especially want to get that on the leather. It's now in really nice shape except for the attachment there!

It might still be tarnish. I have seen tarnish build up in layers and look like a an opaque, chipped lacquer layer on top of the brass, sort of like what you are describing as paint. It comes off with metal polish and a lot of rubbing.

Last edited:
Porter4 said:
I've been working on my nightmare Tribeca tote and the second piece of leather that is wrapped inside the loop actually disintegrated out in the bath :nogood: Now I have a floppy, loose piece like what you are describing. Maybe this happened with yours? The bag has four strap loops, and the others look like the inside piece of leather has dry rot. Really wish I would've noticed before I put her in the bath. I will probably try to stabilize it somehow, as it seems like the piece of leather remaining will receive more stress now that it isn't reinforced. Let me know if you find a solution.

Could a cobbler do anything to stabilize the leather?

Question - my new rehab project is drying quickly - only damp now after six hours of drip drying. Our home is dry and this was also my experience with the one other project I had of glove tanned leather.

In shaping it with towels and rags I noticed some glue on the inside seams is melting a little and flaking off. Is this something to be concerned about? I figure that I can vacuum it again after it dries and hopefully the glue is not critical to function. I used cool water for the bath and Nordstrom gentle detergent.

Question - my new rehab project is drying quickly - only damp now after six hours of drip drying. Our home is dry and this was also my experience with the one other project I had of glove tanned leather.

In shaping it with towels and rags I noticed some glue on the inside seams is melting a little and flaking off. Is this something to be concerned about? I figure that I can vacuum it again after it dries and hopefully the glue is not critical to function. I used cool water for the bath and Nordstrom gentle detergent.

When a bag seems to be drying too quickly I start applying the moisturizer even while it is still pretty damp, because I am worried about cracking. And I am especially careful about the "thinner areas" like the straps.

I'm not sure what you mean about the glue, can you post pics?

Maybe there was just dust and dirt built up along the seams that is coming loose? I often run a sharp tool along the seams to loosen the crud before and during washing. Sometimes I turn the bag inside-out in the bath so I can scrub the nooks and crannies with a toothbrush!

I don't think this is a problem. I don't think I have ever had glue come off. Which bag is this? I didn't think they used glue on the older bags.

katev said:
When a bag seems to be drying too quickly I start applying the moisturizer even while it is still pretty damp, because I am worried about cracking. And I am especially careful about the "thinner areas" like the straps.

I'm not sure what you mean about the glue, can you post pics?

Maybe there was just dust and dirt built up along the seams that is coming loose? I often run a sharp tool along the seams to loosen the crud before and during washing. Sometimes I turn the bag inside-out in the bath so I can scrub the nooks and crannies with a toothbrush!

image-1635979574.jpg

This is what I am seeing - blobs and bits of glue and some of it feels a little tacky. Some of it is dry and flaking though. I would love to start moisturizing this tonight but it will have to wait till the house is quiet - will repost if I see anything else funny! As always your advice is appreciated!

View attachment 1841243

This is what I am seeing - blobs and bits of glue and some of it feels a little tacky. Some of it is dry and flaking though. I would love to start moisturizing this tonight but it will have to wait till the house is quiet - will repost if I see anything else funny! As always your advice is appreciated!

Might just be lint and crud, try gently brushing it out.

Have any of you seen wrinkles like this on a bag? Any suggestions on how to get them out?

Authenticated here.

swaggerwrinkles.jpg

Have any of you seen wrinkles like this on a bag? Any suggestions on how to get them out?

Authenticated here.

swaggerwrinkles.jpg

I've never been able to fix this. Ive just assumed it's the "wrinkles" being talked about on the creed patch and is normal for some pieces of leather. It gets more noticeable when the dye looks different in those spots, such as after being washed which happens occasionally, but others' input on this is very welcome for sure!!

View attachment 1841243

I don't think the all leather bags relied on glue for reinforcement though you are right it looks like a glue type substance but I'd assume it is something the owner spilled into the bag?? Strange for sure

Jessi319 said:
I don't think the all leather bags relied on glue for reinforcement though you are right it looks like a glue type substance but I'd assume it is something the owner spilled into the bag?? Strange for sure

You know, I really believe this is glue. It is crystallized and brown like mucilage or old rubber cement. I contemplated rebathing the bag but ended up brushing as much of this material out as I could with an old toothbrush. It is only present along the upper seams and Zipper placket.

I also believe this is glue or dried up material original to the bag b/c I saw this exact stuff in more quantity in an old dead stock bag I bought off eb@y. That bag was NWT and is currently with repairs in Jax to see if anything can be done since the bag had absolutely no wear and tear otherwise.

Will update you if I learn more. This equestrian zip is in very good shape with no scuffs but just was dusty inside. It is missing the leather zipper pull - any ideas on replacing that? I was thinking maybe a new fob or just using the hang tag as a pull.

It's soaking up some leather CPR now. A little gray grime (dye?) came off with the buffing but not too much. A little color also came out in the bath.

Authenticated here.

swaggerwrinkles.jpg

It's kinda hard to tell in the photo whether the markings are natural wrinkles in the cowhide, or dents as a result of being poorly stored. I had pretty good success removing storage dents from a bag with a warmer-than-usual bath. It worked well in plumping up the leather.

Below is a link to my reveal...there's also a link in it to the AT thread showing before photos.
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club-624452-226.html#post21999426

Massaging the leather - after a bath and some conditioning - is also a good idea to work out creases. Gently bend it, or even roll it, back and forth, perpendicular to the existing creases. I hope others will chime in on this for you.

By the way, her twin lives with me...love my Swagger...Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.