Home & Garden Please Identify This Plant

Aluxe

The Gimme-Queen
O.G.
Nov 29, 2010
Hey everyone, my family and I have been trying to figure out if we have a plant or a weed and well, I thought someone here might be able to help us.

Quick back-story:
I've been trying to grow peppers for at least 5 years. The peppers are a variety from the Commonwealth of Dominica in the West Indies. There, they are known as "season peppers", though I think it is the same variety that is also known as an "aji pepper" in other parts of the Caribbean, including Puerto Rico.

Well, this year, I finally saw some pepper shoot out of the plant pot. However, it turned out my mother planted some habanero seeds and possibly some other pepper in the pot (without telling me of course:smile:). So, when the weather got warmer, I moved the pot outside and in less than 24 hours, my sons knocked over the pot, grabbed the soil from the ground, threw it back in the pot and told me "We knocked over your pot, but it's okay."

As you can imagine, the pot now had no sprouting plants, just soil.

Fast forward a few months and this is what we've got in the pot -

IMG_5226.jpg

(sorry for the extra large pic)

The darker, smaller leaves are peppers (of some sort) and I am transplanting to smaller pots for now. However, those lighter, larger leaves are a mystery. I pulled out one and it is growing out of a dark brown round seed. Is this some sort of tree? Or is it just a gargantuan weed? BTW, I do not have this 'plant/weed/tree' anywhere else in my small backyard.

I'd appreciate any help I can get and will take more pics if necessary. My family would love to solve this mystery :P

TIA!

At first glance, it looks like a hosta...but the leaves might not be quite right for a hosta...maybe a canna?

Thank you so much. My hubby and I just pulled up pics of both and once he saw the canna pic he lit up and said "That's it!" lol! He offers a hearty thanks to yourself and Sternchen for giving us some guidance. This plant has been driving us crazy!!!! :smile:

The only question now is, how in God's sweet name did it end up in my pot? It is not growing anywhere else in my yard, it is not growing anywhere in the surrounding areas (I have checked, because I am a tad anal, hehe). Would you, or anyone else have any ideas? So, I can get some more :P

Thanks again!!!

I also wanted to say Hosta! Love Hostas!!

Thanks so much for the tip! I looked at the hosta pic and thought that we might have some variety of it, but, as noted above, the canna pic looks more like what we've got. I just have no idea how we got it :shrugs:

Thanks so much again! I knew my fellow tPFers would lead us in the right direction.

Thank you so much. My hubby and I just pulled up pics of both and once he saw the canna pic he lit up and said "That's it!" lol! He offers a hearty thanks to yourself and Sternchen for giving us some guidance. This plant has been driving us crazy!!!! :smile:

The only question now is, how in God's sweet name did it end up in my pot? It is not growing anywhere else in my yard, it is not growing anywhere in the surrounding areas (I have checked, because I am a tad anal, hehe). Would you, or anyone else have any ideas? So, I can get some more :P

Thanks again!!!

I was going to ask if there were any near you, because they spread like crazy...but since there aren't, maybe a bird dropped the seed? How strange! They are lovely flowers though!

Could be a squirrel or chipmunk planted it for you. I've found oak and chestnut seedlings in planters.

Good Lord :smile: We have all sorts over here and they mostly come out at night. :thinking: Now I wonder if the abandoned 'cat gangs' in the neighborhood had something to do with it too. Probably in retaliation for not leaving any food out like some of the neighbors do ha.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll be transplanting to a pot over the weekend. I think it would be nice to have a flowering plant in the house.

Thanks again!