Chanel Quilted Boy vs. Jumbo Classic?? Please Share Your Thoughts!

smooglet

Jun 18, 2012
I recently bought a medium quilted Chanel boy in a beautiful pearly white. However, the leather on the sides was already coming off, and there was glue ALL OVER the edges and bag, with random pink stains. Needless to say, I had to return it.

I do not have any classic pieces yet, but I LOVE the Boy collection. I don't know whether to just get another Boy (even after my scary experience) or to go for the quilted Classic Jumbo in Caviar.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you everyone for sharing!

Last edited:
Vote for Classic jumbo caviar. It will be with you for a long long time. When I spend that much, I would love to carry her forever. The style itself is timeless. No tough choice here.

OMG i just bought a Boy Chanel also in pearl white,, what happened to your bag?? Is it just for that one bag or does it happen very often to other boy chanels in pearl white?
Thanks !!!

OMG i just bought a Boy Chanel also in pearl white,, what happened to your bag?? Is it just for that one bag or does it happen very often to other boy chanels in pearl white?
Thanks !!!

Where did you buy yours??? I tried to get another one, but they said that was the last one in the country. (I'm in the US).

So, the SA I talked to, he said the color transfer was REALLY too easy, and the bag would be ruined if I ever wore jeans. Also, very hard to clean, and the metallic sheen I guess rubs off on all the corners after time... Basically, only take it out for super special occasions?

I bought 227 instead of boy when choosing between them.
Now all I can think about is the BOY!!!I still want it so much!
especially when I think of the fact that classics are always there, but boy will be gone.

I bought 227 instead of boy when choosing between them.
Now all I can think about is the BOY!!!I still want it so much!
especially when I think of the fact that classics are always there, but boy will be gone.

That was sort of my logic, but then with all the price increases, I was like...maybe I should just get the jumbo before it leaps up another $600. But that is true, I will not be able to get a boy later on...

Where did you buy yours??? I tried to get another one, but they said that was the last one in the country. (I'm in the US).

So, the SA I talked to, he said the color transfer was REALLY too easy, and the bag would be ruined if I ever wore jeans. Also, very hard to clean, and the metallic sheen I guess rubs off on all the corners after time... Basically, only take it out for super special occasions?

Oh noooo...
I bought it in London airport,,, I love that pearl white boy chanel so much!! and now I could not return it or exchange it (i guess? since it's different country?)

now i want the red classic flap in jumbo as well... i thought the boy chanel is going to be an everyday bag for me.. but with the color transferring.. i'm guessing not?
Did you wear it with jeans before you return it?

Oh noooo...
I bought it in London airport,,, I love that pearl white boy chanel so much!! and now I could not return it or exchange it (i guess? since it's different country?)

now i want the red classic flap in jumbo as well... i thought the boy chanel is going to be an everyday bag for me.. but with the color transferring.. i'm guessing not?
Did you wear it with jeans before you return it?

I never wore it. As soon as I opened the box, it was beaten up. There was scratches everywhere, pink stains, glue all around the bag, and the leather was already coming off on all the sides and corners. I didn't even use it once.

I wouldn't recommend using it everyday... It's a beautiful bag, but I would not risk it at all. Every SA I talked to warned me various times of how easy color transfer was, and how even the bag rubbing against your clothes could make the pearly sheen just fade/come off.

That was sort of my logic, but then with all the price increases, I was like...maybe I should just get the jumbo before it leaps up another $600. But that is true, I will not be able to get a boy later on...

I am now searching for a boy. I am planing to get it now and not buying any bag anymore till year end. However, I want it in black though, white pearl will be way too delicate for a everyday bag, AND boy is not that cheap at all. It still costs like 4k. Black will be much easier for caring and long lasting.
I think if you are going to get a more of a every bag, return it for a jumbo. No matter how much you like it, it will spoil your good feelings once the boy get any kinds of further scratches, and also the inevitable color transfer.