Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this bag on the 'bay. It was described as 'like new' with no rips, stains or tears. Well, it has rips, stains and tears! :tdown:

I need help ladies. Here are some pictures...

It is (was) a lovely vintage, made in Italy, travel bag. I saw this post http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/my-new-gramercy-travel-satchel-376567.html#post8418225 and I began hunting for one like it. To see the loveliness of how this bag used to look makes me feel really sorry for this one. (Plus the fact that I was outright lied to on the 'bay). I saw katev rehab'ed a bag that was similar to this one, so I have hope that I can at least make it look decent. As it is right now, there are stains all over it, both inside and out, and it has a rip inside the inside pocket, (so if I keep that zipped closed, no one would know but me). There looks like red nail polish stains on the exterior and blue ink stains inside. Lastly, the first picture shows scuff marks/deep scratches that are all over this bag. What did they do to this poor baby???

Anyway, I am a newbie, and really could use some advice.

Thank you all for your input. :flowers:

natieya had pm'd me for advice and I gave her some suggestions including returning the bag for a refund and also some cleaning ideas. I suggested that she post here to get some additional opinions. I hope that someone can help her out.

I bought this bag on the 'bay. It was described as 'like new' with no rips, stains or tears. Well, it has rips, stains and tears! :tdown:

It is (was) a lovely vintage, made in Italy, travel bag. I saw this post http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/my-new-gramercy-travel-satchel-376567.html#post8418225 and I began hunting for one like it. To see the loveliness of how this bag used to look makes me feel really sorry for this one. (Plus the fact that I was outright lied to on the 'bay). I saw katev rehab'ed a bag that was similar to this one, so I have hope that I can at least make it look decent. As it is right now, there are stains all over it, both inside and out, and it has a rip inside the inside pocket, (so if I keep that zipped closed, no one would know but me). There looks like red nail polish stains on the exterior and blue ink stains inside. Lastly, the first picture shows scuff marks/deep scratches that are all over this bag. What did they do to this poor baby???

oh what a beautiful bag! Do you have any idea what is on the outside? And how did you find that on eBay and I didn't? :P

ETA: duh, it says right there, nail polish. I once asked a seller if they'd be willing to take a bag back if I tried to clean it up-they accepted returns so I could have just sent it back, but I told her I'd like to try to fix it and would she be OK if I tried to fix the (undisclosed) damage, and if I couldn't, I'd return it. This particular seller was cool with that.

If I had some kind of guarantee like that, I'd start with some acetone free polish remover in a hidden location. I have a feeling it wouldn't work without damaging, but might be worth trying.

Nail polish will also sometimes come off with "oily" stuff, so some sort of leather conditioner might be worth trying. I'm not that familiar with the finish of this leather though, as much as I want to be familiar. :sad:

Last edited:
oh what a beautiful bag! Do you have any idea what is on the outside? And how did you find that on eBay and I didn't? :P

ETA: duh, it says right there, nail polish. I once asked a seller if they'd be willing to take a bag back if I tried to clean it up-they accepted returns so I could have just sent it back, but I told her I'd like to try to fix it and would she be OK if I tried to fix the (undisclosed) damage, and if I couldn't, I'd return it. This particular seller was cool with that.

If I had some kind of guarantee like that, I'd start with some acetone free polish remover in a hidden location. I have a feeling it wouldn't work without damaging, but might be worth trying.

Nail polish will also sometimes come off with "oily" stuff, so some sort of leather conditioner might be worth trying. I'm not that familiar with the finish of this leather though, as much as I want to be familiar. :sad:

I never thought of asking a seller for a guarantee if I try and clean it up without success. That's a great idea. I should have tried that with the garage sale neighbor that sold me the cigarette smelling green laurel bag. I haven't tackled it yet, I am still working on the stinky navy willis!

I once bought a rambler from a consignment store that I had doubts about. The SA promised me that it was genuine and said that she would give me a refund if it was not authentic. It was a fake and she lied about the refund! I should have asked for it in writing, but she seemed so sincere. I don't shop there any more.

I am a little familiar with the Gramercy textured leather that has been "specially treated to retain a new appearance over time." The bags have a light colored suedecloth lining. They appear to be delicate but I had to "get rough" with my gramercy zip and it took the rehab treatment well. It was dirty but not as bad as this beautiful travel satchel, what a shame!

Here are the pics and rehab description for my one and only gramercy italian bag - I want more of them!

Now a cousin has come over from Italy to join the family!

Reactions: Ava_13579

I'll be straight with you. I"d first and foremost try to return it. And I"m usually all about rehabbing things when and if at all possible. But after doing this rehab stuff for this long, I'd truly only try fixing this if you can get a return guarantee from the seller saying an attempt at rehab is okay, or if you got this at such a steal of a price that you feel you'll never ever find another better one affordably so this is probably the only way you'll ever own this bag. I think there are LOTS of things you could do to this bag to try and improve it, but I just can't imagine all of its problems being totally fixable and looking "like new" . The biggest issues will probably be the ink spots...I hear Amodex is one of the best products for removing ink from fabric but I haven't heard that it works well on leather. And the nail polish remover will also more than likely remove the black dye and leave an obvious spot showing where you did the work. However, that might be able to be camouflaged with acrylic paint. This seller should NOT be allowed to let this one go unanswered. Maybe even giving you a partial refund is quite acceptable to ask!! I"ll be curious to see how you go forward with this! It is a truly beautiful bag!

Thank you all for your opinions about my situation. I'm sorta torn. I don't really want to send the bag back since it is so rare, I fear I won't find another one. However, I was definitely mislead as the condition of this bag is NOT what was advertised. I think I will try to ask for a partial refund. I paid $130. I think that would've been a good deal for what was advertised but is a poor deal for such an abused bag.

Unfortunately, all my previous attempts to contact this seller have been unsuccessful. I hope they respond soon or will have to resort to more extreme measures.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for your inputs. :smile:

Thank you all for your opinions about my situation. I'm sorta torn. I don't really want to send the bag back since it is so rare, I fear I won't find another one. However, I was definitely mislead as the condition of this bag is NOT what was advertised. I think I will try to ask for a partial refund. I paid $130. I think that would've been a good deal for what was advertised but is a poor deal for such an abused bag.

Unfortunately, all my previous attempts to contact this seller have been unsuccessful. I hope they respond soon or will have to resort to more extreme measures.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for your inputs. :smile:

That would be a great price if the bag was in decent condition, but it is too much for a bag in that state. If you think you might return it, do not start trying to rehab it. Once you've manipulated it - the bag is yours!

That would be a great price if the bag was in decent condition, but it is too much for a bag in that state. If you think you might return it, do not start trying to rehab it. Once you've manipulated it - the bag is yours!

I agree...and if you don't hear from the seller soon, you may have to file a SNAD dispute, unfortunately.

This is a test of the purse forum app and I would love your opinions on my ongoing rehab of a rambler legacy. Katev I think you are right
About navy blue - this is 24 hours post bath and two coats of leather CPR later. Still a little damp in pockets.

Attachments

• image-1228039936.jpg
    image-1228039936.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 284
  • image-49791750.jpg
    image-49791750.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 285
  • image-4044323757.jpg
    image-4044323757.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 279
This is a test of the purse forum app and I would love your opinions on my ongoing rehab of a rambler legacy. Katev I think you are right
About navy blue - this is 24 hours post bath and two coats of leather CPR later. Still a little damp in pockets.

It's looking good and the blackrocks should help even more.

What do you plan to use to polish the hardware? Does the bag have a hangtag or do you need a replacement?

Thanks Katev! That means a lot - your projects are so much fun to read about and you are so generous with tips and encouraging comments.

I do think that the CPR has done what it can. I want the dry piping to smooth out and camouflage those little worn spots but I have decided I am not going to try acrylic paint. It isn't broken and I think I would rather stick with conditioners.

I have the hang tag and ball chain resting on a shelf. I used Cape Cod polish cloths on all the hardware. That's all I have at home. I will think about getting Wenol at the hardware store but I am ok with the buckles for now.

I just can't believe how a brief bath and dry allowed the shape to come back and got rid of so much lint that was there before. I am slowly making my way through this thread and love it!

Thanks Katev! That means a lot - your projects are so much fun to read about and you are so generous with tips and encouraging comments.

I do think that the CPR has done what it can. I want the dry piping to smooth out and camouflage those little worn spots but I have decided I am not going to try acrylic paint. It isn't broken and I think I would rather stick with conditioners.

I have the hang tag and ball chain resting on a shelf. I used Cape Cod polish cloths on all the hardware. That's all I have at home. I will think about getting Wenol at the hardware store but I am ok with the buckles for now.

I just can't believe how a brief bath and dry allowed the shape to come back and got rid of so much lint that was there before. I am slowly making my way through this thread and love it!

I forgot about the cape cod cloths, I have to look for those! If you can't find Wenol then Brasso does a nice job. I think your bag is looking very good and that there will be no need to use paint to touch up the piping.

As far as "how much conditioner to use" I judge by how fast the bag dries and whether the leather feels smooth and supple vs dry and stiff. The strap is a good way to test suppleness because they often dry out quickly, but bags vary!

When the bag has been well-conditoned but still feels dry, I use an oil, like Leather Therapy Oil. Lately I have also used refined filtered emu oil and it works well.

Some members recommended refined pure extra virgin olive oil as a moisturizer, but I had a bad experience using olive oil once on a bag (my hands broke out with a rash!) so I do not use it.

Katev, how does Leather Therapy compare with Emu? I have a couple of bags that could use some intense conditioning. One is a Cashin for Meyers that I haven't posted here yet, for some reason...I worked on it a little then went out of town and set it aside because it's going to need some serious conditioning and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.