$80 for my YSL Large downtown??

Pandora11

Jul 2, 2008
Dear friends,

I just couldn't keep it to myself. I need to :rant:
I have been clearing my closet to get rid of some of my unused stuff. I have 3 designer bags and some Hermes scarves that need to go. Among them is my white YSL downtown that has been in my closet for all these years. For my convenience, I contacted one of the local consignment shops. After sending information and pictures, I told them I want to do direct sell. I was bummed when they told me they would give me $80 for my new, unused YSL bag. I thought I heard wrong. But...no....$80 it's all I get:cry: I felt they really took advantage of me.
Previously, I contacted some online consignments and their offers were in the same price range. I'm considering it but quite nervous all the same...dealing online. I thought doing business locally would be more convenient and I was willing to let my bag go for a lesser price just because of it. Apparently, I was wrong. I wonder why this local store got impressive yelp reviews regarding having good selections and even great place to sell your bags:sad:

If anyone has good experience with any online consignment shops and won't mind sharing , please let me know.

Sigh...pandora

I did more than once. I should start from selling something cheaper and build my credential from there I think. What did you do with your unused bags?

Very true. Any hardcore purse feign usually skips over a seller with little feedback, especially in a selling capacity.

I try to use all of them at some point during the year but I have many and I go by seasons as well.

If I am not feeling it anymore I sell it on the bay.

really, $80.00 was all an online pre owned source would offer you? Was this an offer to buy the bag directly from you? I have no idea what they % they charge to consign, but the Fashionphile site has downtowns bags in 'good' condition listed for more than 600.00..... And one of them is missing a foot (whatever they are called when referring to one) :amazed:

Last edited:
For sure you have nothing to loose by trying sell on eBay. What could happen? I would rather loose 80$ for a lesson with eBay (which is not so bad at all) than just let it go for 80$ with second hand store.
I mainly buy on eBay, but sold few high end bags each was more that 1k. Also, my best purchases was from seller with a very low FB.
Try, you never know and never will know till you try. Good luck!

I will try...probably start from my scarf collection. I think everyone has to start at some point and I guess there must be some ebay buyer who is willing to give a new seller a chance.
I myself never bought anything expensive (more than $500) from low or zero FB sellers. But all new sellers with whom I dealt in the past always went an extra mile to make me happy with my purchases. I was very impressed (eg. nice/creative wrappers with personal thank you messages, waived my shipping fees or even upgrade my shipping choice). I couldn't give them enough glowing FB they deserved.

I will try...probably start from my scarf collection. I think everyone has to start at some point and I guess there must be some ebay buyer who is willing to give a new seller a chance.
I myself never bought anything expensive (more than $500) from low or zero FB sellers. But all new sellers with whom I dealt in the past always went an extra mile to make me happy with my purchases. I was very impressed (eg. nice/creative wrappers with personal thank you messages, waived my shipping fees or even upgrade my shipping choice). I couldn't give them enough glowing FB they deserved.

It is what I do when I sell. Again, I sold just few items, but my first item was BNWT Chanel bag. I know it was crazy! I always pack supper nice, special bow, paper, thank you note.
Good luck again!

This sounds crazy for a new, unused YSL Downtown bag, now is a good time to sell a white bag (summer), I think you'd get more than $80 in an auction style format on e-bay. I've seen them go for $499 and up, and some were used.