How Do You Know When Your Collection Is Complete?

Maybe you are experiencing the financial term 'law of diminishing return'? As you keep adding on, you don't have the same excitement as you did when you began.

I'm sure that is part of it! I am happy with what I have and feel I really have every occasion covered, so a bag has to be pretty special now to grab me.

Like yourself, I have been collecting Chanel for many years and just in the last year I have come to the conclusion that my collection is pretty much complete. I have enough jumbos and reissues to last me forever and half of my bags have tags still attached.:shame: I still love the WOC's and shoes and will buy those on occasion, but I'm pretty much done. Plus, I feel the quality doesn't live up to the price. I can't wrap my head around these prices, especially knowing what we paid just a couple of years ago.

My kids are getting older and I just can't fork out that kind of money for a bag anymore. I have one driving age and that money is more important being spent elsewhere. If I sold a couple of Chanel bags, I could buy my daughter a used car!:lol:

You have a gorgeous collection, btw!:love: Love your VCA ring, absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks gators! It sounds like we are in the same position! My girls are in preschool now and I am starting to weigh bag costs with tuition costs and think about how many months of school a bag could pay for!

Wow G&Smommy you have an extensive and covetable collection!!I would like to say that there would be a time when my collection would be complete,but i know as purse lovers we are never truly satisfied:sad:Our collections are never complete lol because we love the thrill of finding and hunting down new bags,slgs etc to add to our ever growing collections:biggrin: it will be interesting to see how other pfers answer this thread though.

Thanks! I can't say I will never buy another bag again because I know I will. I just feel like I have a pretty complete and versatile Chanel collection. No other brand completely captures my attention right now. I consider Hermes from time to time but don't feel the bags work for my current life. I am looking into buying my first H wallet and even that is an endeavor!

G&Smommy - You have an awesome collection! Your collection is diverse yet classic but I totally know how you feel. I am so happy you started this thread. Sometimes I feel I have too many and could downsize but other times I feel something is missing from my collection. I do not know if I am just bored with what I have or will never be satisfied with what I have and always want more. There is something exciting about the brand new fresh leather smell when opening a new box that keeps me wanting more. Right now I am interested in adding another black bag to my collection (I already have 3) and maybe a red. At the same time I have so many I do not use so I do not know if I should be better about using what I have or downsize to keep things simple.

Thanks ChaneLisette! I often feel I have too many! LOL! But, if I can see a purpose for a bag in my collection and know I will it them going forward, I keep it. The prices are only going up so I know I could not replace them. Every time I feel something is missing, I evaluate it against what I already have and try to determine how I will use the new bag. If I can't see a definite purpose for it, I pass. Surprisingly, it is getting easier to pass.

I love your collection Jennifer!!:cloud9: I wouldn't say I'm at that point although I am getting there. It is easier to say no to colors when it costs almost doubled or more from the prices I was accustomed to when I first became interested in Chanel. So I don't know if it is a lack of color choices that I must have this season or the price that is being the driving factor here. Bagwise I still want a tote, and a classic jumbo or reissue 227 in a neutral color, but not both. Other than that, I'm pretty much set for all colors/sizes I "need."
I was waiting for the lilac, dark grey and the blue lamb like we talked about to come out but now that they are out, they were easy "no"s for me.
I can't promise about cruise though. :biggrin:

Thanks bluekit! It is nice to be at a point where it is easier to say "no"! It used to be so hard! The prices definitely make me evaluate my purchases more closely. I am not saying "no" forever, just that I feel pretty satisfied and it will take something really special to justify adding another!

Thanks ChaneLisette! I often feel I have too many! LOL! But, if I can see a purpose for a bag in my collection and know I will it them going forward, I keep it. The prices are only going up so I know I could not replace them. Every time I feel something is missing, I evaluate it against what I already have and try to determine how I will use the new bag. If I can't see a definite purpose for it, I pass. Surprisingly, it is getting easier to pass.

The price increases definitely keep me from selling my bags because I would not be happy to replace them at a higher price if I missed them. I loved them once and bought them all for a reason which makes me see a future purpose for them. I am trying to use more discretion when purchasing so I end up with bags I do not tire of as easily.

the price increases definitely keep me from selling my bags because i would not be happy to replace them at a higher price if i missed them. I loved them once and bought them all for a reason which makes me see a future purpose for them. I am trying to use more discretion when purchasing so i end up with bags i do not tire of as easily.

ita!

The price increases definitely keep me from selling my bags because I would not be happy to replace them at a higher price if I missed them. I loved them once and bought them all for a reason which makes me see a future purpose for them. I am trying to use more discretion when purchasing so I end up with bags I do not tire of as easily.

Great post! I could not have said it better! I totally agree!!

Much to my surprise, I am starting to feel as if my Chanel collection is complete. I can still see myself acquiring smaller items like SLGs, shoes, and RTW (on sale, of course), but I really feel I have all of the bags I currently "need" (relative term) or could reasonably use. I am still wait listed for a number of items but I am finding it really easy to say "no" as most feel repetitive of what I already have in my collection or not special enough to justify the ever rising prices.

My current collection (after some selling and exchanges) consists of the following (many of which are still NWT):

Black Patent Jumbo SHW
Black Lamb Jumbo Bijoux Chain
Pearly Beige Jumbo GHW
Navy Caviar Jumbo SHW
Metallic Black Reissue 227
Dark Gold Reissue 227
Pale Gold (more silver IRL) Reissue 227
Dark Navy Reissue 227
Black Reissue Camera Bag GHW
Grey Reissue 226
Taupe Reissue 226
Silver Lambskin Ice Cube Flap
CC Pocket Tote in Black
5 WOCs
Vintage Black Lamb GHW Messenger Flap
Vintage Black Lamb GHW Camera Bag with Tassel
A few wallets and card cases
More shoes than I count!
Some dresses, cardigans, and jackets all bought on sale

I feel like I have varied collection of colors and styles that largely work for my life (though my Jumbos don't get used enough) and know I don't "need" to acquire any others.

Has anyone else reached this point? Was it a fleeting satisfaction or did you truly feel done? I have spent so much time the last few years on researching and building my Chanel collection, I almost don't know what to do with myself if my collection is truly complete!

no red?! :smile:

Anyway I knew I was done with my collection as soon as I looked at my savings account lol! seriously though I feel like I have lost my craving for bags. I do love everything I have and I feel like I dont need any more. I can see myself buying SLG, shoes, CJs and maybe evening piece.