Home & Garden slugs eating basil

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
I planted six basil plants last week and have been finding hole on them. Today, I found the reason...slugs. Ewwww...any ideas about how to keep away slugs?

Believe it or not beer works. Put a small container like a baby food jar near the plants and fill about 1/3 of the way up with beer. The slugs are attracted to the beer and will drown in it. Go back a few days later, put the lid on the container and throw them away.

Hmmm....my post is gone. It said something like: Really? Gross! And ewwww.

Slug update: got a Bud lite from a neighbor (generous)-- when I said the idea, she offered-- and currently waiting to get the slug party started in the herb garden. Already shooed our "kitten" away from the bar.

This works wonderfully! The garden bar has taken many slugs for me, and my basil will have time to recover. I can't believe what a simple and safe solution this is. But it is SOOOO gross. Thank you so much.

Believe it or not beer works. Put a small container like a baby food jar near the plants and fill about 1/3 of the way up with beer. The slugs are attracted to the beer and will drown in it. Go back a few days later, put the lid on the container and throw them away.

We now have a new beneficiary of our garden bar: the local raccoon family has discovered the beer/slug swill. The jar is empty each morning and I only need to refill daily. No more gross stinky emptying. :roflmfao:

This sounds awful but I read that human hair around your plant stops the slugs in their tracks...apparently they can't move properly over the hair ....
Also coffee grounds work a treat

This sounds awful but I read that human hair around your plant stops the slugs in their tracks...apparently they can't move properly over the hair ....
Also coffee grounds work a treat

Both sound easy and safe. Thank you. Out of beer, so I will try coffee grounds next. Plenty of those with all the coffee I drink to stay awake to work :roflmfao: