Can a spa at H boutique remove scratches on vintage Box Kelly?

Phoenix123

Apr 6, 2012
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing this vintage black Box Kelly (Stamp T in a circle). I received some pics from the seller and there are some deep scratches at the front of the bag, as well as some minor ones at the back.

I am wondering if a spa at H can remove these scratches, particularly the deep ones at the front?

Also, the dry areas at the back, do you think H will be able to do anything to improve them?

TIA.

Attachments

• Kelly_1.jpg
    Kelly_1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 887
  • Kelly_2.jpg
    Kelly_2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 846
  • Kelly_3.jpg
    Kelly_3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 842
  • Kelly_4.jpg
    Kelly_4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 832
  • Kelly_5.jpg
    Kelly_5.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
it depends how deep the scratches are in the leather, they for sure can treat superficial scratches that occur easily in box leather.
you can ask Docride (our resident leather expert) how a LTC can improve this bag

it depends how deep the scratches are in the leather, they for sure can treat superficial scratches that occur easily in box leather.
you can ask Docride (our resident leather expert) how a LTC can improve this bag

Thank you.

I was told that the deep scratches were probably caused by a diamond ring or a key running across the surface (seller is not the original owner of the bag), but I don't know how deep they are.

Shall I post in the Hermes Vintage bag thread? I found that thread after having posted this thread. Can I post twice about the same issue?

Last edited:
I think those scratches on the front of the bag are probably permanent, Hermes might be able to blend them in a bit but I don't think they are removable sadly. The bag looks dry as many of these vintage bags are, a good conditioning at Hermes will make it look and feel much better. But I would take it to Hermes and let them advise you on what can be done is the best thing to do.

ETA- I just read you haven't bought the bag yet, in that case, I would want a very good price on that bag because of those scratches on the front, they might well be permanent. There are lots of black Kellys out there in much better condition, ( the leather also looks quite dry), so I would say don't rush into anything unless you don't mind the scratches and the price is right.

Hi.
I ve sent my vintage box Kelly to h store for refurbishtment. There was some scratches at the front and back, not deep like the pictures u showed. Hardware had some scratches as well. Some dryness at the side.
When it came back, the dryness has improves, hardware was polished. But scratches stil remain visible.
Think they can only minimize the scratches but not totally removed.
Hth
:smile:

I think those scratches on the front of the bag are probably permanent, Hermes might be able to blend them in a bit but I don't think they are removable sadly. The bag looks dry as many of these vintage bags are, a good conditioning at Hermes will make it look and feel much better. But I would take it to Hermes and let them advise you on what can be done is the best thing to do.

ETA- I just read you haven't bought the bag yet, in that case, I would want a very good price on that bag because of those scratches on the front, they might well be permanent. There are lots of black Kellys out there in much better condition, ( the leather also looks quite dry), so I would say don't rush into anything unless you don't mind the scratches and the price is right.

Thank you for your reply. I've decided not to purchase this bag, based on your comment and others' here. The price is not low enough to justify the purchase.

Hi.
I ve sent my vintage box Kelly to h store for refurbishtment. There was some scratches at the front and back, not deep like the pictures u showed. Hardware had some scratches as well. Some dryness at the side.
When it came back, the dryness has improves, hardware was polished. But scratches stil remain visible.
Hth

I am glad you've told me that. I thought the Box could be refurbished to almost new. I guess that is not the case. Thanks for letting me know.

Surface/superficial scratches in boxcalf can be blend into patina post-spa, but these scratches are still visible upon close inspection. Patina or the "mellow glow" is what hides flaws and makes boxcalf special. Deep scratches, on the other hand, will be much more challenging. KWIM;)

Here's my well loved boxcalf b pre- and post-spa:
front.jpgIMG_0216.JPG

back.jpgIMG_0214.JPG

Surface/superficial scratches in boxcalf can be blend into patina post-spa, but these scratches are still visible upon close inspection. Patina or the "mellow glow" is what hides flaws and makes boxcalf special. Deep scratches, on the other hand, will be much more challenging. KWIM;)

View attachment 1773114View attachment 1773115

View attachment 1773116View attachment 1773117

Wow! What an amazing transformation! Thanks for posting the pics especially. I've always loved the idea of owning a Box H bag. I am not going to be deterred by tiny scratches and these pics really help to reinforce that. I am sure you're right about the deeper scratches though.

mummy.carol said:
Hi.
Hth

Sorry to hijack OP's thread. Just a quick question When u hardware was polished, how did it looked? were they able to remove scratches on hardware by polishing them?
Thanks!

You are welcome:smile:

I forgot to mention that the kelly in your pics looks super dry. The wrinkles worry me as they could lead to cracks. You may want to consult Docride in the reference thread re: dryness. Best of luck in finding your perfect boxcalf.

View attachment 1773114View attachment 1773115

View attachment 1773116View attachment 1773117

This is helpful info! Thx. In the 3rd pic, there is damages on the bottom corner of the picture, were they able to fix that completely after spa?