So Sad! Please Help Chanel Cadets!

sunflower5

Dec 18, 2009
I recently decided to let go one of my brand new jumbo flaps and decided to go the eBay route. After this experience, I will never EVER sell on eBay again. Not to bash the company, but there are too many dishonest people out there just waiting to take advantage of a high priced item.

Here’s my story:

I sold a bag about 2 week ago. The transaction went smoothly. I packaged up the item and mailed it overnight, fully insured with signature confirmation. Couple days later, I had not heard back so I sent a follow up email thanking her for her business. I received an email two days ago from the buyer, in which she states that the bag she received is fake and not authentic. She asked for the receipt, and I promptly sent her my receipt from Neiman Marcus. She suspected the bag was fake because the hologram was a sticker instead of a sewn on piece. She said she owns hundreds of Chanels and never seen a sticker hologram. I advised her that Chanel has used the sticker with gold speckles for many years and if she has any issues with the item, to get it authenticated. I also offered my phone number to help explain in person.

Yesterday, I receive another email from her saying that the receipt was faked. She also claimed that the bag was made in France instead of Italy, and Chanel has recently only made items from Italy. Furthermore, she mentioned that the hologram sticker should be on a piece of leather (which I assume is the way GSTs or PSTs are) rather than on the interior lining itself. I kindly explained that bags are not all the same, and a Chanel boutique can easily verify that their bags are produced in France and Italy. I asked her to give me a call and/or take it to any authenticator such as My Poupette or the ladies here.

I am so scared that this buyer is fraudulent. What do you guys think? Do you think she’s a genuine person who is concerned with the item or fraud?

If I were her, I would have immediately called the Seller and continued to correspond with them until everything is sorted. She sends only 1 email per day and refuses to speak to me over the phone. This is a piece that is 5k, and I have read that ebay and PayPal tend to stand behind its buyers. I clearly noted this item is final sale and have no intention of giving her a refund unless she can prove it is not authentic. However, I want to get this nightmare over with and just accept a return. BUT, I am also scared that should I choose to accept a refund, she will send me a completely fake item. As a devoted fan of designer handbags, particularly Chanel, I am so sad about this right now.

I just wanted to see if anybody had any great feedback or advice regarding this. Thanks for hearing me out!

I think the buyer is taking an opportunities against you... she just dont want to pay for the bag, that's why she keeps on giving execuses... she told you that the bag is fake so she can get the bag for FREE.

can you just asked her to RETURN the bag to you and refund her money? PLEASE.... DONT SELL THE BAG TO HER!!!!

There was a post here a few months ago about a woman who sold her Birkin on Ebay and the buyer also made claims that it was fake and demanded a chargeback. Seller unfortunately eventually lost (even being a powerseller and the buyer had almost zero feedback). I'd hate to say this but Paypal always protects the buyer no matter what. I am really hoping that your buyer isn't taking advantage of you.

Sorry this is happening! I can see where you are coming from. Accepting a return could be risky if she is truly a fraud and she sends you a bogus bag or something.

I may be wrong here, and I really hope some others can chime in on this, but my understanding is that if you continue to fight it and speak to PayPal regularly, they can help. If you push back, they will require her to provide a letter of inauthentication or authentication. Make sure you hold on to those receipts and not send the original! PayPal may ask for documentation and having the original will be handy.

I would see what she says after your last email. If she continues to push, push back and tell her to use an authentication service. If she happens to open a claim, she will need to provide authenticity anyway. This is a large charge so PayPal won't take a lightly.

But geez, total bogus. Hundreds of Chanels and have not seen 1 hologram sticker? And Italy only? Chanel is Chanel PARIS for a reason!

I think the buyer is taking an opportunities against you... she just dont want to pay for the bag, that's why she keeps on giving execuses... she told you that the bag is fake so she can get the bag for FREE.

can you just asked her to RETURN the bag to you and refund her money? PLEASE.... DONT SELL THE BAG TO HER!!!!

ugh! i can't believe i am going through this nightmare! i thought to myself that this could never happen! :sad: if she really wants a refund, that's what i'm happy to provide. but she didn't even ask for a refund. she just kept saying the bag is a fake. i wonder if there is some loophole thus she is dragging her feet!

There was a post here a few months ago about a woman who sold her Birkin on Ebay and the buyer also made claims that it was fake and demanded a chargeback. Seller unfortunately eventually lost (even being a powerseller and the buyer had almost zero feedback). I'd hate to say this but Paypal always protects the buyer no matter what. I am really hoping that your buyer isn't taking advantage of you.

OMG! I can't believe it. that really sucks. this is definitely a lesson learned. I'm going to call PayPal today and see what kind of action they take against fraudulent buyers

Sorry this is happening! I can see where you are coming from. Accepting a return could be risky if she is truly a fraud and she sends you a bogus bag or something.

I may be wrong here, and I really hope some others can chime in on this, but my understanding is that if you continue to fight it and speak to PayPal regularly, they can help. If you push back, they will require her to provide a letter of inauthentication or authentication. Make sure you hold on to those receipts and not send the original! PayPal may ask for documentation and having the original will be handy.

I would see what she says after your last email. If she continues to push, push back and tell her to use an authentication service. If she happens to open a claim, she will need to provide authenticity anyway. This is a large charge so PayPal won't take a lightly.

But geez, total bogus. Hundreds of Chanels and have not seen 1 hologram sticker? And Italy only? Chanel is Chanel PARIS for a reason!

I agree! she said she has hundreds of chanel handbags! thanks for the glimmer of hope. i will pushback on paypal and see if there is anything they can do. but now my mind wanders and makes me think, what if she gets a fake bag authenticated and submits that?

Show her the link on yoogiscloset.com that shows all the pictures.of the hologram.sticker. every excuse she gave you for your bag being fake is total bs...

Show her the link on yoogiscloset.com that shows all the pictures.of the hologram.sticker. every excuse she gave you for your bag being fake is total bs...

I actually did that in my very first response! I told her hologram sticks have changed with time and provided her with the link. she didn't mention anything about it. thanks for the suggestion!

I know nothing about selling on eBay, but I will say that the burden of proof very much lies with the customer according to PayPal. I've actually had to do it in order to get a very legit refund on an item incorrectly sent in lieu of what was actually purchased.

Hi Sunflower5, I am so sorry for the nightmare. I sell on eBay and have run into this problem with Designer Bags that I have sold esp. Chanel. Several buyers are so leery because of all the fraudulent bags on eBay yet they still BUY them on eBay!!

My last two Chanel transactions went smoothly although so many photos and emails were requested by the propective buyers that I felt that they were just making me jump through hoops!

I still sell on eBay but you need to be VERY Patient with the new breed of buyers who are very skitish like your current buyer....

I know nothing about selling on eBay, but I will say that the burden of proof very much lies with the customer according to PayPal. I've actually had to do it in order to get a very legit refund on an item incorrectly sent in lieu of what was actually purchased.

thanks for your note. it's good to hear that the burden of proof is with the customer. i called PayPal just now and they said the same

Hi Sunflower5, I am so sorry for the nightmare. I sell on eBay and have run into this problem with Designer Bags that I have sold esp. Chanel. Several buyers are so leery because of all the fraudulent bags on eBay yet they still BUY them on eBay!!

My last two Chanel transactions went smoothly although so many photos and emails were requested by the propective buyers that I felt that they were just making me jump through hoops!

I still sell on eBay but you need to be VERY Patient with the new breed of buyers who are very skitish like your current buyer....

thanks! how did you resolve your issues when they occurred? i do see the best in everyone, but her emails were so 'matter of fact' (i.e. "i own hundreds of chanels", "chanel has been making them only in italy") i am starting to think it is a scam. if she really owned hundreds of Chanel handbags, she should be a real pro at this! i really hope she takes my advice and get it authenticated for peace of mind.

thanks! how did you resolve your issues when they occurred? i do see the best in everyone, but her emails were so 'matter of fact' (i.e. "i own hundreds of chanels", "chanel has been making them only in italy") i am starting to think it is a scam. if she really owned hundreds of Chanel handbags, she should be a real pro at this! i really hope she takes my advice and get it authenticated for peace of mind.

Hi Sunflower5, I jumped through the hoops and got paid but I did not enjoy the dance. I understand as I have also been victimized on eBay so many times so I was patient and pointed to the several Chanels and LVs that I have sold on eBay through the years to very satisified buyers. I mention the thePurseForum, and other ways to authenticate the bag. I sold two Chanel bags on eBay this year so far and it is quite an experience despite having the tags attached!!!, authencity cards and the original receipts for both bags that I sold!!

Hi Sunflower5, I jumped through the hoops and got paid but I did not enjoy the dance. I understand as I have also been victimized on eBay so many times so I was patient and pointed to the several Chanels and LVs that I have sold on eBay through the years to very satisified buyers. I mention the thePurseForum, and other ways to authenticate the bag. I sold two Chanel bags on eBay this year so far and it is quite an experience despite having the tags attached!!!, authencity cards and the original receipts for both bags that I sold!!

sorry to hear about your experiences, but glad they worked out! i can definitely refer her to this website with links and photos. i really hope that puts her mind at ease.