Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
whateve said:
Thanks. I ordered my Fiebings dye from nordshoe. It produces a sheen itself so I wonder how much more sheen Resolene would make. One of the bags that has the gouges I dyed with Fiebings and I tried to put the Fiebings dye over the paint but it just makes a mess of the paint. I am going to let the paint dry for a few days to see if that makes a difference.

There is an ebay seller in England that sells a leather putty for filling in gouges but they say you have to use their leather dye with it so I was afraid to take a chance. All of the materials I can find for filling in leather gouges are designed for leather car seats which isn't really the same as the thick Coach leather.

I have learned so much from Docride ( Hermes Rehab Goddess ) inher thread Hermes Rescue & Rehab thread. I know she recommended a filler. I will go back and see if I can find it.

First, this thread is AMAZING!
Secondly, I rescued a not-so-vintage (07) Brown Leather Hamilton last weekend at the Salvation Army for $3!!! I was so stoked on this find and ALMOST missed it!
The ONLY thing wrong with the bag is some unknown stain on the front near the flap...Its not large but very noticeable and I am racking my brain to figure out how to clean and protect the bag without the fortune of a pro (although I may have to resort to one) :sad:
Any suggestions? I cant find anything on the care thread...
Ill post pics ASAP

whateve said:
Thanks. I ordered my Fiebings dye from nordshoe. It produces a sheen itself so I wonder how much more sheen Resolene would make. One of the bags that has the gouges I dyed with Fiebings and I tried to put the Fiebings dye over the paint but it just makes a mess of the paint. I am going to let the paint dry for a few days to see if that makes a difference.

There is an ebay seller in England that sells a leather putty for filling in gouges but they say you have to use their leather dye with it so I was afraid to take a chance. All of the materials I can find for filling in leather gouges are designed for leather car seats which isn't really the same as the thick Coach leather.

Go to www.leatherworldtech.com and buy a tube of the leather filler. That's the site Docride recommends. Then you can paint over the filler.

Thanks so much. I've been searching to find the right filler and not knowing which way to go.

For some reason, I'm not getting informed when I have been quoted.

I have had a similar problem, I get notified of quoted replies some of the time but not others.

If TPF goes down for maintenance you can usually get updates on the facebook page.

I have had a similar problem, I get notified of quoted replies some of the time but not others.

If TPF goes down for maintenance you can usually get updates on the facebook page.
There is a thread about this in the feedback section. Supposedly if a thread has a certain number of posts, the quote function quits working. I don't think this is the problem. I got notification of a quote in this thread earlier today but not for this quote. I think there are times when a thread is pretty short and I don't get notification. It seems to be hit or miss.

First, this thread is AMAZING!
Secondly, I rescued a not-so-vintage (07) Brown Leather Hamilton last weekend at the Salvation Army for $3!!! I was so stoked on this find and ALMOST missed it!
The ONLY thing wrong with the bag is some unknown stain on the front near the flap...Its not large but very noticeable and I am racking my brain to figure out how to clean and protect the bag without the fortune of a pro (although I may have to resort to one) :sad:
Any suggestions? I cant find anything on the care thread...
Ill post pics ASAP

Ok, updated post with photos. It sort of looks like there was a cleaning "attempt" You can barely notice some discoloration around the stains...Uh, what to do what to do?!

Attachments

• 7416357424_0eefa2d6f4_n.jpg
    7416357424_0eefa2d6f4_n.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 7416358568_04ff59d268_n.jpg
    7416358568_04ff59d268_n.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 206
There is a thread about this in the feedback section. Supposedly if a thread has a certain number of posts, the quote function quits working. I don't think this is the problem. I got notification of a quote in this thread earlier today but not for this quote. I think there are times when a thread is pretty short and I don't get notification. It seems to be hit or miss.

I agree, it seems hit or miss.

Ok, updated post with photos. It sort of looks like there was a cleaning "attempt" You can barely notice some discoloration around the stains...Uh, what to do what to do?!

Great find at a fabulous price!

I would try spot cleaning with a soft damp cloth and water or maybe some mild soap. If that didn't work I would use a leather cleaner like lexol. And if that doesn't work I would give it a sink bath in warm water and Ivory or Dawn dish soap. Rinse well, stuff with towels while it dries, and then condition the leather with a cream conditioner like Apple or Leather CPR.

Good luck!

Great find at a fabulous price!

I would try spot cleaning with a soft damp cloth and water or maybe some mild soap. If that didn't work I would use a leather cleaner like lexol. And if that doesn't work I would give it a sink bath in warm water and Ivory or Dawn dish soap. Rinse well, stuff with towels while it dries, and then condition the leather with a cream conditioner like Apple or Leather CPR.

Good luck!

WILL DO! Thanks a ton! I have never given a bag a bath....kinda nervous AHHH ;)

WILL DO! Thanks a ton! I have never given a bag a bath....kinda nervous AHHH ;)

If it's a bag that I want to keep, and not re-sell, and if all of the above doesn't work, I've found that getting an exact acrylic paint match, and then very graaaaduuuallly camouflaging so the stainining 'isnt as obvious, helps. Others on here have posted great threads on this, and are way better at it than I am, but I'm learning and working on a bag with spots right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.