Help! Proenza won't fix my bag because i bought it at HG Bags

This is the one reason I am not sure about buying from ****** anymore. I love the deals, but when I lost a screw, Erica could not do anything for me. I knew without a receipt from an authorized dealer, I was not going to get any help from PS directly. Luckily I have several PS1s from ADs so I was able to swing it, but it really unnerved me not to have the security of aftercare with my purchase.

So it's been 5 days since I wrote them back and the have just ignored me. No response at all. I can't believe the treatment I'm receiving. I'm going to write back again today, but I think they may just ignore me again. This really sucks. Any advice on what to say?

I've emailed PS three times over the last year and never got an answer. Their Customer Service as that bad. Keep trying I guess, I'm sorry but I don't have any good suggestions.

I'm sorry to hear this. I also find it appalling that they won't stand behind their product and that their customer service is so poor. It really puts me off them.

I would try phoning rather than emailing as it's harder to ignore phone calls. I would just say outright to them 'How is it possible that you cannot authenticate your own bags?' and ask them straight out to prove to you that your bag is fake. If they cannot do that, which they won't be able to, then they will have to fix your bag.

Keep trying and good luck.

Ok so she finally responded and this is what I got:

Hi XXXXX

Please do not think I have been ignoring your e mail. I am sorry for the delay in my response.

Please understand that by no means am I trying implying that you buy counterfeit bags, nor that your bag is a counterfeit. What I am trying to state is that because this is not purchased by one of our authorized retailers I cannot apply our policy to the bag. The first step to getting a Proenza Schouler bag repaired in contacting and confirming with the original store of purchase. They are not under our policy when they sell our bags, so it is impossible for me to confirm with them.

I hope you can understand my following protocol in this matter.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Have a great day.

Best,
Rachel

How awful. Another thing you should tell them is that you know for a fact that they agreed to fix someone else's bag that was from a so called unauthorised retailer, so why won't they fix yours? You could also tell them they're giving themselves a very bad name on Purse Forum!! Who knows if they would care though, they are probably more concerned about their celebrity customers rather than people like us.

How awful. Another thing you should tell them is that you know for a fact that they agreed to fix someone else's bag that was from a so called unauthorised retailer, so why won't they fix yours? You could also tell them they're giving themselves a very bad name on Purse Forum!! Who knows if they would care though, they are probably more concerned about their celebrity customers rather than people like us.
So true!! A smaller brand like PS may not realize how much power tPF and its posters can have on sales when there are MAJOR QC issues!!! The word gets around. I remember when Rebecca Minkoff was having a lot of QC issues, she ended up having to specifically address them on tPF.

For a relatively "under the radar" brand like PS, (I know the PS is popular in the Celeb circle, but most non-bag-obsessed people are NOT aware of this brand), they are only hurting themselves by not paying more attention to customer service.

I've said it ONE MILLION times, but no brand should require proof of original purchase in this day and age. Someone could hand the bag down to a friend, receive it as a gift, etc. I guarantee the main reason they are doing this is to try to stop people from buying bags through ******. They've probably done their research and realized that people "in the know," like all of us, are buying them from her for under retail, and thus hurting the sales from authorized dealers.

absolutely! ^^
what do you do if you receive one as a gift for goodness sake? i mean come on!
i do agree that ****** might be damaging their image as from what i have heard they sell below the RRP so the main reason must be to stop that happening but.
and yeah, noone underestimate the power of TPF... hmmm...not sure what to think here.
i still would like to know though where she gets her stock from? HG? hello?

I don't think she would ever release that information. My guess is whoever she gets them from could get in a bit of trouble if people knew what was going on. Like they work for an authorised reseller or the manufacturer and get them at cost price and then sell them onto her for a bit of profit and she does the same. I'm not saying there's anything illegal about it and I'm sure it's all above board, but I doubt her source would want to be revealed. I could be way off but that's my guess.

And I agree that I'm sure PS isn't too thrilled with her but hey it's a free country and she's not breaking the law. Their way of attempting to control it is by being difficult like this and therefore trying to put people off buying from her.

^ ^ ^ Absolutely.

I agree with previous posts, it's absurd for PS to suggest that they can't authenticate their own bags.

If it is truly their policy that they will only provide warranty benefits when their authentic product is purchased from authorized retailers, then I sadly will have to limit my purchases to seasonal sales. There's no way I'm giving PS nearly $2K per bag just for the privilege of quality control.

(But I must say it's a small step up from Balenciaga, who refused to fix a bag I purchased directly from Bal.com, when the strap broke less than a month after I bought it).

I've had reasonably good luck with designer accessories over the years, but after my experience with Bal and now this news from PS - I'm going to adjust my shopping philosophy to "Only buy what I can afford to break."

^ ^ ^ Absolutely.

I agree with previous posts, it's absurd for PS to suggest that they can't authenticate their own bags.

If it is truly their policy that they will only provide warranty benefits when their authentic product is purchased from authorized retailers, then I sadly will have to limit my purchases to seasonal sales. There's no way I'm giving PS nearly $2K per bag just for the privilege of quality control.

(But I must say it's a small step up from Balenciaga, who refused to fix a bag I purchased directly from Bal.com, when the strap broke less than a month after I bought it).

I've had reasonably good luck with designer accessories over the years, but after my experience with Bal and now this news from PS - I'm going to adjust my shopping philosophy to "Only buy what I can afford to break."

This. It's sad, but true.

Ok so she finally responded and this is what I got:

Hi XXXXX

Please do not think I have been ignoring your e mail. I am sorry for the delay in my response.

Please understand that by no means am I trying implying that you buy counterfeit bags, nor that your bag is a counterfeit. What I am trying to state is that because this is not purchased by one of our authorized retailers I cannot apply our policy to the bag. The first step to getting a Proenza Schouler bag repaired in contacting and confirming with the original store of purchase. They are not under our policy when they sell our bags, so it is impossible for me to confirm with them.

I hope you can understand my following protocol in this matter.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Have a great day.

Best,
Rachel
:rtr:
This is just plain wrong!!! The bag bears the name Proenza Schouler after all, and they should stand by the name, authorized retailer or not!!!

Can you just send the bag to them? Let them see how Real it is and how BAD the quality has turned out to be?

I agree with all of the above. If they are able to authenticate their own bag, then they should repair it. It was made by them. If they only sell their bags to authorised retailers, then authentic PS bags will all, at some stage, have been bought from an authorised retailer, whether it is now a second or third hand bag.

It is idiotically bad for business and their reputation.

I agree with all of the above posts. And that's exactly why no matter how much I like to own a PS, I don't think I will now ever buy one, not until they sort out their quality issues and poor customer service. It's totally their loss, not mine. There are other better brands out there, imo.