Paddies and Air Travel

beth001

Purse Slut
O.G.
Dec 14, 2006
I just bought a ticket for a quick visit to Washington DC in a few weeks and I am wondering if I should carry my Paddy or carry a different purse for the trip? Specifically, has anyone had any trouble going through airport security with a Paddington? Does the lock and key set off alarms? Does it offend the TSA in any way? ('Cause it does seem to me that you could, really, KILL someone by swinging that heavy lock at their head!)

TIA!:smile:

Well - I chose my huge belt pocket Paddy to be my main bag on a recent trip to Taiwan and I had no problems whatsoever with security. It just passed on through the carry on scan each and every time. It didn't get hurt in any way scratches-wise although I am not too fussy about that and I don't think I even looked it over too well! I did put it in the overhead bin and at one point my cell phone slid out and I didn't discover that until I deplaned. But I realized my mistake going through customs and the airline staff found it and returned it to me reallyfast. So I would say just make sure it is secured.

I have the huge travel size black paddington from '05, thank you Roz, (roz77772002 on ebay:smile: and I have used it lots of times on trips and it travels very well:yes: Don't worry about security because it just goes through the machine with no problem. Actually it's nice that you can lock it because then you don't have to worry about anything falling out:yes: Have a great trip! You will LOVE having it with you to enjoy:wlae:

I have the huge travel size black paddington from '05, thank you Roz, (roz77772002 on ebay:smile: and I have used it lots of times on trips and it travels very well:yes: Don't worry about security because it just goes through the machine with no problem. Actually it's nice that you can lock it because then you don't have to worry about anything falling out:yes: Have a great trip! You will LOVE having it with you to enjoy:wlae:

Is yours the same style as this one currently up on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/CHLOE-PADDINGTO...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300090340536

And, how weird would it be to carry one Paddy (regular sized) as a purse and ANOTHER one (this bag travel thing) as a carry-on together?

Good to hear the staff has got to know it by now! When I took one of the first ever Paddingtons on a flight in Germany, it was x-rayed and afterwards the whole bag was taken away to some backroom - came back unharmed, but without explanation after some cruel minutes.

After that, I chose other bags for air travel, but maybe I should give it another try now they have become familiar with it.

Is yours the same style as this one currently up on ebay?
eBay: CHLOE PADDINGTON SHOPPER TOTE SATCHEL BAG (item 300090340536 end time Mar-18-07 13:00:00 PDT)

And, how weird would it be to carry one Paddy (regular sized) as a purse and ANOTHER one (this bag travel thing) as a carry-on together?

No, that's not the one. (I have that one too though! :nuts: ) The one in the picture is the US SHOPPER like green_eggs just got from Bluefly, also in the whiskey. The travel sized paddington that I have is a larger version of the medium, (dimensions are 20x10) and it's just like the medium in style, but the handles are longer of course, so it easily can be worn as a shoulder bag. Mine is from '05, but I think they are still making a few of them. I saw one on Bluefly the other day (and in black!), :heart: but I am sure that they are no longer using the same leather, which is unfortunate since the older leather is that squishy, buttery kind. I haven't seen the latest version IRL, but if you do a lot of travelling it's a great bag. I wouldn't take two paddys on a trip though. If I take the large one, I leave the other "girls" at home!:rolleyes:

Bluefly has the current version of the "travel sized" paddington on it's website now. ( It's 4:00pm Chicago time.) It is slightly smaller at 19x9, but it is a nice size for a carryon. Also, it's in black.:yes: It's not identical to mine in the dimensions or probably the leather, but it's the '07 version of the one that I have. :heart:

I agree about the prices. I can only buy these bags b/c my kids are all grown and married, so I can treat myself at last:smile: :yahoo:

beanie, that certainly gives me something to look forward to! I still have one in college, one in high school, and one in middle school. At least we're now done with Bar and Bat Mitzvahs!:yes: