Home & Garden Getting Rid of Excess-Help!

The magazines thing is annoying, but the best thing I have done for that is getting a Nook color - it seriously cuts down the clutter. No magazines coming in, so none to take out. The only magazines I get are not on the Nook (NY magazine, TimeOut NY). They just added Vogue, and Lucky. :smile: Now, to avoid so-called "digital clutter".

I was looking at purchasing my magazines using the newstand app but the magazine I normally buy is the same price in the shops as it is on the app.

So I have since decided that I will only buy one magazine a month instead but I will have a quick flick through at the store to see if I want to buy it in future.

Its so hard clearing the clutter as I seem to buy things which just adds to it.Does anyone have any advice on how not to buy stuff?

^^ I've started cutting out pages from mags. for years I was too scared to lol. but now I just keep the pages I want and recycle the rest. I keep all the pages I keep in a plastic sleeve and everytime I add some more I look at the old pages and sometimes I'm ready to remove them.

now I'm at the point that I have removed everything of mine that I don't use or need but still working on the mother. she has come a long way but still can't let go of somethings. like we have an aircooler in the cupboard taking up half a shelf and I want it gone. we paid almost 5k to get aircond put in so we don't need it but all she says is " what if the aircond doesn't work one day and it's hot" and the picnic rug in the boot of the car we haven't used in atleast 10 years "well if the car breaks down we may want to sit outside whilst we wait for the nrma. aaaahhhhhhh.

I'm doing the exact thing. I tend to get overwhelmed so just taking it slow. Sold a few things on ebay, will be going through the 10 shelves of books I have and bringing into work for co-workers kids. I know I have some winter coats I've had for years but have a hard time getting rid of. I'm always thinking well, I can wear it if shoveling, it was a gift, etc. I try to imagine that I'm moving in 3 years and would I still want the item then. I just want to get rid of the clutter!
Same for magazines, I actually save one year of Elle for what I don't know, lol

^^ I like the idea of putting it away for a year tho I don't know I can wait that long lol. I love street cleanup because I always look around for something to get rid of.

I am in awe of some of the homes that are pictured here in various threads where the is absolutely no "stuff". The rooms are beautifully decorated and there does not appear to be anything out on a counter top or coffee table, etc., let alone clutter.

Hopefully one day I will get there.

Still in de-cluttering mode...

I have a cabinet in my living room where VHS tapes went to die. I cleaned it out today and must have thrown out close to 80 VHS tapes. UGH! With the doors to the cabinet closed, I could pretend they didn't exist. I'm donating a few movies to GW but the rest went in the bin.

I also posted some items on ebay (not VHS tapes!). I hope they sell.

I am in awe of some of the homes that are pictured here in various threads where the is absolutely no "stuff". The rooms are beautifully decorated and there does not appear to be anything out on a counter top or coffee table, etc., let alone clutter.

Hopefully one day I will get there.

While decluttering and getting rid of unneeded things helps tremendously, I think everyone sometimes has the mail on the counter or magazines on the coffee table. I try to keep my home so that it can be company-ready in 5 minutes, which means that it is always clean and mostly picked up, but that there can be the things of normal living around, too. And to take pictures, most people make sure everything is pristine and spotless, but few people live like that every waking moment.

It sounds like you are making great progress! Doesn't it feel great to get things or areas done, one by one? I have been doing redecorating in the bedrooms of our home, one by one, and it involves a whole lot of decluttering, too, so I can appreciate how much work it is and the satisfaction that comes from getting it done! When I complete a room I feel like it's a brand new house!

This thread just reminded me that there is some random stuff under my bed. Now I won't be able to sleep til it's gone lol! I've tried to describe how nice it is to sleep on a bed without anything under it to my packrat hubby. He doesn't feel it hehe. We are such polar opposites on this.

My mom just retired & is getting ready to sell her house, and watching her have to box up her house & how overwhelming that is has really made me want to streamline my own house (and life!).

I'm a bit of a packrat so I don't know how to start getting rid of things. I think I have two big issues:

1. I feel really guilty getting rid of things that people bought me as a gift. I start thinking about how the person spent his/her hard earned money on something for me, and how their feelings would be hurt if I threw/gave it away. I've gotten better about this by giving things to goodwill, but it's still something that keeps me from getting rid of things (like the *2* hot chocolate makers my mom gave me).

2. I'm a grad student who wants to be a professor so I have about 12 years worth of notebooks, papers and folders floating around my house. I'm scared to get rid of this stuff because those notes are definitely things I'll want to reference in the future, but it just feels like clutter. I've thought about filing cabinets, but I don't have an office in my apartment and my bedroom isn't big enough for them.

Any advice on how to successfully purge excess from your house? I could really use the help.

I dont have time to read all this right now so sorry if someone already posted.

I am on only child so I have the same guilt with giving stuff away. So after years and years I decided I needed to get rid of everything. So I took pictures of everything. 3 pictures of everything and then gave it away. So I know I can always look back on it and have a nice memories.

bumping with a rant.

I was feeling so good about how tidy and clutter free our home is. then a family friend came over with a house warming prezzie. :pout: I really wish she would have brought nothing. she gave us a picture frame and cake stand. both of which I wouldn't mind adding a few off to the place but these are just butt ugly. and what's worse is I'm not allowed to donate/chuck/regift/brake/hide/return or even sell. I'm stuck with them. the frame is on the bookshelf that I was in the middle of making look good and the cake stand is on the dining table. might I add the frame is white with BEADS stuck to it!! and the cake stand is not one of those cute little ornate ones that you can sit a doillie on with cupcakes but it's modern retro gone wrong. :crybaby:

I'm not trying to sound like a snob I just wish she wouldn't waste her money. all my friends know what to get me. I got lots of great things like jewelry, hats, travel accessories etc but this one person always gets it wrong and I have to live with it for years now.

but apparently I'm being rude and I should appreciate the gesture. tho I can't really do that when she called in the morning inviting herself over at 1.30 that day and then not showing up until 2.45. yes she just called up saying oh I'm thinking of popping in to see you today, I won't stay long. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
^^ I always bring something that can be used, like a really nice olive oil, for example.

Bedding takes up so much space, yet I just ordered some new 100% linen sheets and a coverlet.

I might have to give a couple of my cotton coverlets away since I just don't have room for them. My bf's darling mother gave us a King size white coverlet that I'm just not in love with. It's stiff and overly stitched. I'm reluctant to give that away since it was a gift from her.

I sound so fussy.