Secondhand Bargains....let's see your cheap treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Longchamp bags sturdy? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a school bag. I have been looking at vintage coach leather business bags to bring to school, but everyone in the coach section made a good point about that being super heavy. I will have an hour commute one way on public transit to school in September, so I'm trying to ebay/thrift something cheap, functional, and stylish so I will actually use it long after school is done.

I have the large Longchamp with long handles and its extremely durable and sturdy. Ive used it for travel and toddler bag. So its been filled with laptop, clothes, umbrellas, baby cothes, toys, etc. Would make for a cute school bag, but anyrthing held on your shoulder is going to be heavy!

The idea of a crossbody bag would be a good idea for something between a bookbag and shoulder bag.

im loving the R2D2 skirt seeing it made me want to share my sewing skills
these were my fashion show items. all sewn by me :greengrin:
fashionshow4.png

and close up details
fashionshow.png

fashionshow3.png

fashionshow2-1-1.png

Making an R2D2 Skirt with what's already in the house ... no special trips required ...

Cause what says Easter more than a Star Wars Character made into ... a skirt? Freakin' Nothing Man. Nuthin!

R2D2006.jpg

Starting with this idea ... an R2D2 Skirt ... I want it ... but not quite that shape ...
R2D2002.jpg

It's a skirt on Etsy that has also been showin' up round the Intrawebz ...
R2D2003.jpg

I actually was pretty sure I had all the material I would need
R2D2004.jpg

So I pulled stuff out
R2D2005.jpg

Remember when Sephora used to package things beautifully when you bought for them? Good Times!

I was thinking about using the blue grey material for the light gray in R2D2 ... but it wasn't light enough. So I tried to bleach it. A bit of bleach, water and set out in the sun ... and it turned ....
R2D2009.jpg

Pink? .......... not that helpful actuallllyyy

R2D2010.jpg

Getting started .... I just looked at the pictures. I knew I wanted it longer and to make it more fitted and not an giant elastic waist band gathered
R2D2033.jpg

I think it's kinda more interesting this way ...
R2D2031.jpg

Gonzo helped. He jumped down off a table onto a cutting board and almost impaled himself on my razor cutter. He jumped up when I was trying to put in the zipper. Joy. Joy. He wanted to pierce his nose in the running machine.

Hubs at one point said, "Um Gonzo is trying to eat needles. He's going thru this holder trying to grab the sharp end of the pins."
R2D2014.jpg

"Yes, he's hardcore. He's Punk Rock Siamese Sewing Cat Assistant."
I love the part where you realize you have the Perfect Shoes ...
R2D2026.jpg

From F21, but bought at Salvation Army for $1.50 ... All the material ... thrifted or bought at a deep discount some time in the past ...

I like how the black fabric glows ... since it is his main eyeball ... and I like that my red is velvet ...

R2D2016.jpg

Side view
R2D2019.jpg

Back .. not sure how I took this picture and I am sure I could never repeat it ...
R2D2039.jpg

Old red metal zipper bought for 10 cents at some thrift or another ... sewn on the outside cause ... I mean ... you need more weirdness with a skirt like this ...
R2D2040.jpg

And some details in the back ...

I like it ... R2D2 is the coolest cutest thing in the entire Star Wars series. I had a huge crush on him but of course he only had an eye for ... CP30 ...
You are so creative; R2D2 skirt. I love it and the shows are purrrfect!

Wow raven these are day and night. Great handy work! Do you know if all exotics like oil?

Raven, that is such a cool bag, and what a huge difference!

By the way, do you guys know the website lovin my bags? She has products to care for all kinds of leathers, including a special line for delicates and exotics, including snakeskin. They are expensive, but might be worth it to you.

thank you very much :biggrin: you just boosted my ego :ty:
i think that one is my favorite as well out of the three, the black one with the orange had a hat to go with it, but it never made it into the show :tdown:

I like that orange trim on the sides of the dress so much! What did that hat look like? So beautiful!

im loving the R2D2 skirt seeing it made me want to share my sewing skills
these were my fashion show items. all sewn by me :greengrin:
fashionshow4.png

and close up details
fashionshow.png

fashionshow3.png

fashionshow2-1-1.png

I love the details on the first dress on the left ... first picture. That's beautiful!

I'm in love with that skirt and totally jealous of your sewing skills!!! I might start collecting old patterns and materials when I move and buy a small sewing machine and see if I can make some stuff myself. I had to learn to sew for fashion class in high school, but haven't really done anything fancy with it since. Every time I see something you have redone or made it makes me want to sew!!

You can learn to sew. There's now so much stuff on YouTube that you could teach yourself fairly easily I think! It is a match made in heaven, sewing and thrifting. You can thrift fabric far cheaper than you can buy it!

What a great job you did! It looks great on you, especially love the details on the back!

Thank you! I like the details too back there ... I like the exposed old metal zipper. I'mma keep buying those old zippers cause I like the look of them. It's a very fluffy skirt!

Ladies, I went to my local dollar tree this morning for some aluminum foil. This is the one with a huge selection of fruits and veggies.

As I strolled through, I saw a huge group of people around the back off the store, with the food, and thought "wow, they must have shrimp or crab, lol ...why is everyone hoarding in the food section"

I finally made it to the back and saw that there were tons of CLOTHES! ya know, like Lazlo is always telling us about! Ladies were just throwing the clothes on top of the potatoes and garlic. It was crazy, but i found a couple silk blouses. They looked to be from the dry cleaners. It would have been nice if they hung them on racks or something, it was like they just threw a barrel of clothes on the people to fight for.

LOL!! Yep. Well now that store will probably keep randomly getting the "recycled clothes" at my stores sometimes they have racks and sometimes it'll be like a massive BOX that you have to rummage thru ...

Are the Longchamp bags sturdy? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a school bag. I have been looking at vintage coach leather business bags to bring to school, but everyone in the coach section made a good point about that being super heavy. I will have an hour commute one way on public transit to school in September, so I'm trying to ebay/thrift something cheap, functional, and stylish so I will actually use it long after school is done.

Go Cross Body! Messenger bag!

I had a really faded Chanel professionally dyed, by a local cobbler (yes, I said cobbler). When he did it, he did not dip it and I wanted to be sure he did NOT dye the CHANEL and Made in France inside (that destroys resale value). I think he carefully, like, painted it on. He didn't overdo it. I will say that when I dropped it off, I just crossed my fingers. I got lucky, he did a great job, but it could have been a nightmare. It was actually my $35 THRIFT STORE Chanel bag!

So so brave! How amazing to fond a $35 Chanel!

Wow, how fabulously cute and resourceful!!! I use to sew, years ago. You are really making me think I need to pull out the sewing machine. You are such an inspiration! Happy Easter! Off to Sunrise Service...

Take out the machine! It's big fun!

In My books I am officially down grading TKMAXX to a glamorised second hand shop as most pieces are a one off as you will never find another and the condition of a lot of the clothes is shocking to prove my point a Dolce and Gabbana shirt they were charging £79.99 for SHOCKING

THAT IS SO AWFUL! Shameful! (gross!)

Still working my way through this thread so forgive me if someone already responded. Monsoon is a UK High Street brand, not high end but great quality at reasonable prices. They always have a slew of gorgeous dresses. What a great find, enjoy.

My wedding dress was by Monsoon ...

monsoonweddingdress.jpg

But it wasn't $2.50!

I was pretty excited when I found the little silk Monsoon Dress! Kinda like ... HOW does this dress from way over there get way over here and mixed in so deep!? It was fun to find and fits well. It's VERY short, so I plan to wear leggings ... too much potential for showing the jangle! The Hoo Haw ... Not a big fan of that ... look.

lazlo8 said:
I like that orange trim on the sides of the dress so much! What did that hat look like? So beautiful!

I love the details on the first dress on the left ... first picture. That's beautiful!

You can learn to sew. There's now so much stuff on YouTube that you could teach yourself fairly easily I think! It is a match made in heaven, sewing and thrifting. You can thrift fabric far cheaper than you can buy it!

Thank you! I like the details too back there ... I like the exposed old metal zipper. I'mma keep buying those old zippers cause I like the look of them. It's a very fluffy skirt!

LOL!! Yep. Well now that store will probably keep randomly getting the "recycled clothes" at my stores sometimes they have racks and sometimes it'll be like a massive BOX that you have to rummage thru ...

Go Cross Body! Messenger bag!

So so brave! How amazing to fond a $35 Chanel!

Take out the machine! It's big fun!

THAT IS SO AWFUL! Shameful! (gross!)

My wedding dress was by Monsoon ...

But it wasn't $2.50!

I was pretty excited when I found the little silk Monsoon Dress! Kinda like ... HOW does this dress from way over there get way over here and mixed in so deep!? It was fun to find and fits well. It's VERY short, so I plan to wear leggings ... too much potential for showing the jangle! The Hoo Haw ... Not a big fan of that ... look.

It's not the best photo. I put the hat on my model for the last show :smile: ( there was 7 shows in total) you cant see the top but it's black felt with the orange twist design on it

Attachments

• image-2966532603.png
    image-2966532603.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 369
Status
Not open for further replies.