Secondhand Bargains....let's see your cheap treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies I had a good day today! I went to my favorite thrift store and found a great deal!(Longchamp)
IMG_20120406_181034-1.jpg

Then I went to GW where I spotted a wonderful vintage Dooney and a dying Dooney. I picked up the living Dooney and a young woman picked up the dying Dooney. She said how much she liked mine because it looked almost brand new. She put her purse down and proceeded to leave. i felt bad and called her back and gave it to her to purchase and I proceeded to purchase this....
IMG_20120406_184516-1.jpg

IMG_20120406_184528-1.jpg

Before I left, the manager came from the back with this....
IMG_20120406_181114-1.jpg

Escada and yes, I did buy it. I left there and went to another GW and found this...
IMG_20120406_180939-1.jpg

There is a gold snake emblem inside; I also found this Aerioto? handbag..,
IMG_20120406_182019-1.jpg

I drove to one more GW...(I had today off from work, I was excited.)...vintage Marino Orlandi
IMG_20120406_182333-1.jpg

UGGS
IMG_20120406_182426-1.jpg

and a Milos belt from Italy
IMG_20120406_182517.jpg

Yep, I had a pretty good day!

Are the Longchamp bags sturdy? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a school bag. I have been looking at vintage coach leather business bags to bring to school, but everyone in the coach section made a good point about that being super heavy. I will have an hour commute one way on public transit to school in September, so I'm trying to ebay/thrift something cheap, functional, and stylish so I will actually use it long after school is done.

Are the Longchamp bags sturdy? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a school bag. I have been looking at vintage coach leather business bags to bring to school, but everyone in the coach section made a good point about that being super heavy. I will have an hour commute one way on public transit to school in September, so I'm trying to ebay/thrift something cheap, functional, and stylish so I will actually use it long after school is done.
Dooney is pretty good and sturdy.

i might be making this up but im sure someone on this thread dyed a leather Chanel bag
I had a really faded Chanel professionally dyed, by a local cobbler (yes, I said cobbler). When he did it, he did not dip it and I wanted to be sure he did NOT dye the CHANEL and Made in France inside (that destroys resale value). I think he carefully, like, painted it on. He didn't overdo it. I will say that when I dropped it off, I just crossed my fingers. I got lucky, he did a great job, but it could have been a nightmare. It was actually my $35 THRIFT STORE Chanel bag!

Have not look at this ^ thread but I cleaned my patent leather shoes with Angelus Dry Cleaner and Spot Remover, purchased off eBay. It was a 2" mark from a permanent ink pen that fell on my shoe. Tried shoe cleaner, magic erase, even acetone (ever so gently) and nothing worked till I tried the Angelus with a Q-tip! :biggrin:
HAIRSPRAY REMOVES PERMANENT INK!! I'd use a q-tip and I'm not sure about leather.

Dooney is pretty good and sturdy.

I was trying to find something not leather, either like coated canvas or nylon. Something that won't ruin my clothes but won't be so heavy to carry with me.
At least I have a lot of time to check ebay and thrift stores before I actually need it. I really don't know what will be good to carry since I used to have backpacks in high school, but have been told they aren't the greatest to take on long commutes because of pick pocket theft.

HAIRSPRAY REMOVES PERMANENT INK!! I'd use a q-tip and I'm not sure about leather.

yes it removes it amazingly well!! I remember the first pair of light coloured jeans I bought and I ended up sitting in ink either at school or on the bus. I was sooooo sad I think I actually cried because I thought they were ruined (I was in like grade 6 or 7). My mom used hair spray on them and it all came completely out. Couldn't even tell that there was ever a huge ink mark in the middle of my butt!

I was trying to find something not leather, either like coated canvas or nylon. Something that won't ruin my clothes but won't be so heavy to carry with me.
At least I have a lot of time to check ebay and thrift stores before I actually need it. I really don't know what will be good to carry since I used to have backpacks in high school, but have been told they aren't the greatest to take on long commutes because of pick pocket theft.
And now for your viewing pleasure the parade of totes....
Let's begin...
Dooney,with a strap will hold much but it can be heavy....
http://
IMG_20120407_213747-1.jpg

Then the fun Andy Warhol, "Marilyn Monroe" tote...
IMG_20120407_213719-1-1.jpg

Ralph Lauren has fantastic canvas totes...
IMG_20120407_214006-1.jpg

...and the vintage colorful Furla totes...
IMG_20120407_213813.jpg

Last but not least...drumroll please......Michael Kors canvas totes...
IMG_20120407_213854-1.jpg

Thank you and hopefully you enjoyed the show and it was helpful. Also, try TravelSmith...they have great totes. I carry a Fossil, it leather, goes over my head and shoulder and is quite comfortable.

And now for your viewing pleasure the parade of totes....
Let's begin...
Dooney,with a strap will hold much but it can be heavy....
http://
IMG_20120407_213747-1.jpg

Then the fun Andy Warhol, "Marilyn Monroe" tote...
IMG_20120407_213719-1-1.jpg

Ralph Lauren has fantastic canvas totes...
IMG_20120407_214006-1.jpg

...and the vintage colorful Furla totes...
IMG_20120407_213813.jpg

Last but not least...drumroll please......Michael Kors canvas totes...
IMG_20120407_213854-1.jpg

Thank you and hopefully you enjoyed the show and it was helpful. Also, try TravelSmith...they have great totes. I carry a Fossil, it leather, goes over my head and shoulder and is quite comfortable.

ohhh I like the furla tote, the Marilyn tote (I'm watching Bus Stop with Marilyn in it right now),and the Michael Kors is a great colour. I am watching a couple of MK on ebay right now but they seem to be popular and go for quite a bit. One of my things is for it to be understated. No flashy brands or logos so those are perfect for me to think about other brands outside of Coach. I am taking evening classes and will be on the subway around 10 at night going home. My school isn't on the greatest stretch of the city so I don't want to make myself a target for thieves by bringing something that screams what brand it is.

Making an R2D2 Skirt with what's already in the house ... no special trips required ...

Cause what says Easter more than a Star Wars Character made into ... a skirt? Freakin' Nothing Man. Nuthin!

R2D2006.jpg

Starting with this idea ... an R2D2 Skirt ... I want it ... but not quite that shape ...
R2D2002.jpg

It's a skirt on Etsy that has also been showin' up round the Intrawebz ...
R2D2003.jpg

I actually was pretty sure I had all the material I would need
R2D2004.jpg

So I pulled stuff out
R2D2005.jpg

Remember when Sephora used to package things beautifully when you bought for them? Good Times!

I was thinking about using the blue grey material for the light gray in R2D2 ... but it wasn't light enough. So I tried to bleach it. A bit of bleach, water and set out in the sun ... and it turned ....
R2D2009.jpg

Pink? .......... not that helpful actuallllyyy

R2D2010.jpg

Getting started .... I just looked at the pictures. I knew I wanted it longer and to make it more fitted and not an giant elastic waist band gathered
R2D2033.jpg

I think it's kinda more interesting this way ...
R2D2031.jpg

Gonzo helped. He jumped down off a table onto a cutting board and almost impaled himself on my razor cutter. He jumped up when I was trying to put in the zipper. Joy. Joy. He wanted to pierce his nose in the running machine.

Hubs at one point said, "Um Gonzo is trying to eat needles. He's going thru this holder trying to grab the sharp end of the pins."
R2D2014.jpg

"Yes, he's hardcore. He's Punk Rock Siamese Sewing Cat Assistant."
I love the part where you realize you have the Perfect Shoes ...
R2D2026.jpg

From F21, but bought at Salvation Army for $1.50 ... All the material ... thrifted or bought at a deep discount some time in the past ...

I like how the black fabric glows ... since it is his main eyeball ... and I like that my red is velvet ...

R2D2016.jpg

Side view
R2D2019.jpg

Back .. not sure how I took this picture and I am sure I could never repeat it ...
R2D2039.jpg

Old red metal zipper bought for 10 cents at some thrift or another ... sewn on the outside cause ... I mean ... you need more weirdness with a skirt like this ...
R2D2040.jpg

And some details in the back ...

I like it ... R2D2 is the coolest cutest thing in the entire Star Wars series. I had a huge crush on him but of course he only had an eye for ... CP30 ...

Making an R2D2 Skirt with what's already in the house ... no special trips required ...

Cause what says Easter more than a Star Wars Character made into ... a skirt? Freakin' Nothing Man. Nuthin!

R2D2006.jpg

Starting with this idea ... an R2D2 Skirt ... I want it ... but not quite that shape ...
R2D2002.jpg

R2D2003.jpg

R2D2004.jpg

So I pulled stuff out
R2D2005.jpg

Remember when Sephora used to package things beautifully when you bought for them? Good Times!

I was thinking about using the blue grey material for the light gray in R2D2 ... but it wasn't light enough. So I tried to bleach it. A bit of bleach, water and set out in the sun ... and it turned ....
R2D2009.jpg

R2D2010.jpg

Getting started .... I just looked at the pictures. I knew I wanted it longer and to make it more fitted and not an giant elastic waist band gathered
R2D2033.jpg

R2D2031.jpg

Gonzo helped. He jumped down off a table onto a cutting board and almost impaled himself on my razor cutter. He jumped up when I was trying to put in the zipper. Joy. Joy. He wanted to pierce his nose in the running machine.

Hubs at one point said, "Um Gonzo is trying to eat needles. He's going thru this holder trying to grab the sharp end of the pins."
R2D2014.jpg

R2D2026.jpg

From F21, but bought at Salvation Army for $1.50 ... All the material ... thrifted or bought at a deep discount some time in the past ...

I like how the black fabric glows ... since it is his main eyeball ... and I like that my red is velvet ...

R2D2016.jpg

Side view
R2D2019.jpg

Back .. not sure how I took this picture and I am sure I could never repeat it ...
R2D2039.jpg

Old red metal zipper bought for 10 cents at some thrift or another ... sewn on the outside cause ... I mean ... you need more weirdness with a skirt like this ...
R2D2040.jpg

I like it ... R2D2 is the coolest cutest thing in the entire Star Wars series. I had a huge crush on him but of course he only had an eye for ... CP30 ...

Wow, how fabulously cute and resourceful!!! I use to sew, years ago. You are really making me think I need to pull out the sewing machine. You are such an inspiration! Happy Easter! Off to Sunrise Service...

In My books I am officially down grading TKMAXX to a glamorised second hand shop as most pieces are a one off as you will never find another and the condition of a lot of the clothes is shocking to prove my point a Dolce and Gabbana shirt they were charging £79.99 for SHOCKING

Attachments

• image-2317621339.png
    image-2317621339.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 507
  • image-776593676.png
    image-776593676.png
    227 KB · Views: 532
In My books I am officially down grading TKMAXX to a glamorised second hand shop as most pieces are a one off as you will never find another and the condition of a lot of the clothes is shocking to prove my point a Dolce and Gabbana shirt they were charging £79.99 for SHOCKING

Oh my, TJ Maxx can't be serious!!! But, you know, I've had the same feeling in some other retail stores, i.e., that they look like glorified secondhand stores.

R2D2006.jpg

R2D2002.jpg

R2D2003.jpg

R2D2004.jpg

So I pulled stuff out
R2D2005.jpg

R2D2009.jpg

R2D2010.jpg

R2D2033.jpg

R2D2031.jpg

R2D2014.jpg

R2D2026.jpg

R2D2016.jpg

Side view
R2D2019.jpg

R2D2039.jpg

R2D2040.jpg

What a great job you did! It looks great on you, especially love the details on the back!

R2D2006.jpg

R2D2002.jpg

R2D2003.jpg

R2D2004.jpg

So I pulled stuff out
R2D2005.jpg

R2D2009.jpg

R2D2010.jpg

R2D2033.jpg

R2D2031.jpg

R2D2014.jpg

R2D2026.jpg

R2D2016.jpg

Side view
R2D2019.jpg

R2D2039.jpg

R2D2040.jpg

I'm in love with that skirt and totally jealous of your sewing skills!!! I might start collecting old patterns and materials when I move and buy a small sewing machine and see if I can make some stuff myself. I had to learn to sew for fashion class in high school, but haven't really done anything fancy with it since. Every time I see something you have redone or made it makes me want to sew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.