So when is enough enough?

harley

Look out Singapore!!
Jan 10, 2006
Obviously we love bags, and we all come from different financial backgrounds so some of us can afford whatever we want, others have a price ban and some may be able to only afford one or two or buy the lesser expensive lines. My point is when does the price point become rediculous? I have plenty of Chanels and LVs and I am not bragging because that money could be a down payment on a house but it was a decision that I made at that time ... now any bag I like is hovering around the 3000 dollar mark which makes me think three times before buying it ... and them LV comes our with a patchwork bag for 42,000 dollars!!!

When the Paris's of the world start sporting bags that cost more than a CAR, what does a parent say to an impressionable young one? Not to mention adults like myself who love bags but are being slowly forced out of the market ... so instead of buying a few Chanels a year, I am down to a couple - and believe me I know how lucky I am but ... when a bag costs more than a CAR, has the line been drawn??? Is it time for the backlash to begin???

I asked the same question about "premium" denim a year ago - and the prices continue to go up with some brands.

I know this has been discussed before, and I gatherered the consensus to be that the design houses will continue to raise the prices as long as people are willing to pay. Many of the houses want their brand to stay available to an elite market - as mid-range brands raise prices it goes that high-end brands must raise theirs - or else, you would have a convergence of mid with high...

In the end, as today's stock market news resonates, and the reality that foreclosures to continue to be at all time high, does this mean anything for this market? I think not, since these design houses have never pretended to cater to the mass market - and it is middle America that is most affected right now by rising interest rates and other such things.

Just my .02 - OH, and YES I absolutely have a "bag" ceiling - although it was broken once, but, then rebuilt straight away when I saw the look of disappointment on my DH's face.

I hear you loud & clear. I'm new to the forums & I guess I would say the most I've ever spent on a bag is a mere $300. To my friends, that is a ridiculous sum of money so I guess perspective is everything. I have a DS with autism (therapies & such can get quite $$$) & I'm a SAHM, so I can't really justify anything much over that.

I'm at a loss when it comes to teenagers & such carrying designer purses. I had to work to save up $400 for my first car--a chevette. I couldn't have imagined spending that hard-earned money on a purse. Certainly not knocking those that do, though.

Having said that, I'm awaiting my first Kate Spade bag. DH bought it as a birthday gift (OMG--I'll be 35 in a couple of days). A chocolate wellesley sam....yipppeee!

For the thrill of it, I often lurk at the Hermes forums. The price tags make me faint, but they are gorgeous. Again, it's perspective I guess, but the only way I could justify that is if we won the lottery (I sure do love looking at them, though). Interesting thread!

Amy

I also have a ceiling, not so much a dollar amount, but I refuse to pay retail for a handbag. To me it's just not worth it. Obviously, this puts me out of the running for a lot of "It" bags that never go on sale, but there's plenty that I do like that go on sale.

PS Had to add that I recently bought a Coach at retail, but I justified it that it was a "necessity", since it was an everyday work bag and the price was great for the amount of use it will get.

Like anything else, this is relative. If you make $20 million a year, spending $40,000 on a bag is no big deal. I'm not offended, I know I'm not in their target market.

My DH has always maintained that it is morally reprehensible to spend so much money on a PURSE. I can't offer any justification. It becomes more apparent how silly it all is when you tire of a look and yearn for the latest and greatest. I remember years ago when I bought my first "over the top" designer bag - a Jackie O Gucci classic for $575. At the time it was shocking to everyone in my circle. Nowadays my ceiling has far exceeded $575. I still have that bag but it has been degraded to a boring staid sort of everyday clunker. I do try to get everything on sale but when you add it all up - GULP! Could that money have gone to a better purpose? Of course. But to each his own.

You make some excellent points. I did not grow up in a wealthy home, and have been sensible about budgeting, raising children with good values, etc. When people judge me negatively now because I carry a nice bag, I want to ask them if the way they spend money is the only acceptable way.

It is shocking what some designers are charging now. I have my own criteria for deciding if a bag is worth the pricetag; I'll never put our finances in jeopardy or stop charitable contributions. I can live with myself.

I think the companies will continue in the "consolidation" trend, as will retailers themselves, where you have a large parent company whose holdings will include several "designer names," and some of those will fork into various "lines," in order to have an established presence whichever way things shake out, both in the economic big picture and/or what the headquarters decides will be best for the company.

So just as you will see some names hunkering down into a very elite niche market, which yes, if you look at it one way, it is shrinking, in that fewer people will be able to afford those bags. But the good news for the company is that the people who can afford them will be able to afford even more of them!

And you will see others who will move into a wider scope of the ready-to-wear spectrum. There have been several posts here about some designers signing on to produce lines for Target, for example. This will help "catch" a lot of those consumers who are being priced out of the more expensive "lines," but still want the ambience of a "designer label" enough to pay a relative premium for it in Target. So a company who owns either two different names going for each end of the market, or even one name with different "lines" is making a shrewd move!

As for the retailers themselves, while it might appear that some sectors are having to scramble, or even in danger of being subsumed by another, if you look closely you will see that thanks to the forward-thinking consolidation moves that have been made in recent years, and continue being made, that the parent companies will be the winners either way. Just as with the "elite" consumer, there may be fewer parent companies, but the ones there are will have better numbers than ever before, as they will have simultaneously been positioning themselves to meet the challenges of those larger trends, so even as what we might think of as a traditional retail sector may be less "needed" by consumers facing their own new challenges, again the parent company's forward-thinking diversification strategies will ensure that revenue is actually increased, as the company meets the needs of its new "market sector," such as "soft defense-related," "corrections" and associated growth segments!

Or to use the example of someone who has bought expensive purses, and now wonders if they could have bought a house, because of the larger economic trends, it is quite possible that someone who a few years ago was able to save a few thousand dollars up to spend on bags, that same person would not be able to afford the house today, so at least you have the purses!

I sort of love the French lifestyle because they don't go overboard with having a lot of things. I have three recognizable namebrands and I don't think I will buy another until one is really worn out. But I have to admit, I should have at least one black leather bag and I don't have one yet.

It is not about them. It is about you. Only you decide what is right. Not the marketers or *brand* folks. Don't let yourself be brainwashed into thinking that *place object here* is something you *MUST* have.

Well, I do think that extending extravagant property loans to middle America and then watching them suffer under higher interest rates is ethically reprehensible. But raising handbag prices? I just don't care. I'm getting pushed out of certain markets certainly, but it doesn't mean enough to me to be able to own dozens of high end bags to upset me. I think you set your limits, you abide by them, and if your dollar doesn't go as far as you'd like it to exercise the willpower to save (it's hard, I will be the first person to tell ya!). As other posters have noted, there are some really nice bags at lower price points (I really do swear by Coach) and there's always ebay!

My problem is not so much with me - I know what my limits are and unless you are a gazillionaire - you ladies out there with kids - what are you going to do when they see Nicole carrying the 42 grand bag - how do you tell them they can't have it?

If something should be ONLY for the elite - then don't advertise it all over the place ...

I think all of your opinions are wonderful and I agree with many of your points. I did not grow up in wealthy home either and any money I did have came from working and paying my own way. I do feel guilty at times for the amount of money I spend on my bags and when I worked outside the home, all the clothes and shoes I would buy. I also find that while some of my friends or family may think I am nuts to spend so much on bags, they are the ones who often go out and buy $4.00 coffees and designer waters daily. They drive new cars, have house cleaners and gym memberships. These are also the same friends who will order appetizers, several cocktails and desert at most dining out meals. I myself would never spend $4-5.00 a day on coffee or waters. I never order cocktails, appetizers or desert out and most of the time we eat take out or go for a quick bite. I have never had a house cleaner, my car is 6 years old (paid in full at time of purchase) and have a treadmill at home.
I would never be able to justify some of the designer bags out in the market and unless I won the lottery, I am pretty sure my bag limit will stay in the middle class price point. I do not buy anything on credit unless I know I can pay it off at the same time.

I do agree the designers who have gone on to make the high end bags as well as a more affordable line, they have the right idea and to me they are doing the right thing, but I am sure it will turn some of the more exclusive consumers away just because they no longer see these designers as "exclusive".