Workplace Laid off :(.... Louis Vuitton?

Dianabanana12

Oct 20, 2010
Hi Everyone

Okay, I hope at least one person can relate to this thread. So on Tuesday I got laid off, totally unexpected. HUGE hit to my Ego :sad:..... I'm 25 years old, an accountant/ auditor (4 years experience) and working on passing my CPA exam. In one day I went from making almost 100,000 to 0 dollars. Fortunately, I got a small severance (2wks pay) and about 4 weeks of vacation and my paycheck for that 2 weeks was just coming in, this on top of my savings is enough for me for now. But now I feel like a fraud! I just bought a new car and was about to put a downpayment on a condo (thank god I didn't, I love living at home anyways lol) .... But am I wrong to feel this way? I almost feel like I make no money now and drive a new car (That I just bought less than a month ago, boo) and carrying LV's just makes me feel like a fraud :sad:.... Everyone is telling me to collect unemployment, which I would probably receive the max which is 635 a week where I live. But how can I collect? The thought of it makes me feel like a bum, almost like thinking there are people that are much worse off than me who really need their unemployment checks.... sigh I don't know.

I almost feel like I want to sell some of my LV's but my heart wants to buy new LV at the same time, common sense of course wouldn't let me ....

The good thing is I do have a few interviews lined up next week, so hopefully I can find a job within a week or 2 .... Losing my job though, makes me realize, maybe I shouldn't throw money away on things like LV's maybe I should save all my money in case this happens again?!

I just need some support .... If anyone else has gone through this and has been laid off or fired from there job I'd love to hear your story

Thanks guys

xoxo

I am so sorry to hear about this -- my heart goes out to you. I know many people can relate to your feelings now. You do need to apply for unemployment -- and don't feel guilty about it -- it is money you and your former employee have paid in so you can be compensated in times like this -- it is definitely not a handout. Best of luck with your interviews this week. Keep us posted. Don't do anything drastic with your LV's or car at this point -- give it some time.

I am so sorry fo that hun, but hey you are so young!I mean its certainly not the end of the world!Imagine having kids and a familly to support!
See things could be worst!
I am sure you are gonna find a new job soon enough!
So dont panic! Everything is gonna be ok!
Make sure you keep us posted tho!
GL girl!

So sorry to hear that. I am sure you will find your way out soon. Give yourself sometimes. Don't feel guilty about all this. It s not your false and this can happen to anyone.
Good luck on your job interview.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. Please do collect unemployment. You paid for this all the years that you were working so that if a situation like this ever arose, you would be covered for a little bit. If it makes you feel any better, my cousin is about your age, an accountant and was also studying for the cpa when she was laid off last year. It took her a few months but she found a new job and is very happy now. Don't be embarrassed or feel like a fraud or anything. This is just how the economy is now. Just keep a positive attitude and keep searching and I am sure you will find something. Oh, and I know how hard it is, but try not to buy any LV for now ;) The best of luck!

I am so sorry to hear about this -- my heart goes out to you. I know many people can relate to your feelings now. You do need to apply for unemployment -- and don't feel guilty about it -- it is money you and your former employee have paid in so you can be compensated in times like this -- it is definitely not a handout. Best of luck with your interviews this week. Keep us posted. Don't do anything drastic with your LV's or car at this point -- give it some time.

I am so sorry fo that hun, but hey you are so young!I mean its certainly not the end of the world!Imagine having kids and a familly to support!
See things could be worst!
I am sure you are gonna find a new job soon enough!
So dont panic! Everything is gonna be ok!
Make sure you keep us posted tho!
GL girl!

So sorry to hear that. I am sure you will find your way out soon. Give yourself sometimes. Don't feel guilty about all this. It s not your false and this can happen to anyone.
Good luck on your job interview.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. Please do collect unemployment. You paid for this all the years that you were working so that if a situation like this ever arose, you would be covered for a little bit. If it makes you feel any better, my cousin is about your age, an accountant and was also studying for the cpa when she was laid off last year. It took her a few months but she found a new job and is very happy now. Don't be embarrassed or feel like a fraud or anything. This is just how the economy is now. Just keep a positive attitude and keep searching and I am sure you will find something. Oh, and I know how hard it is, but try not to buy any LV for now ;) The best of luck!

Thanks guys! I appreciate it ... Makes me feel a little better, maybe I will put in for unemployment just in-case, I guess that is the whole point of paying taxes! I think I feel guilty because there are so many people out there who are much worse off than me, making less than me and getting laid off with a family to support, kids, and a mortgage!! ..... I feel a bit better thanks to you guys! Its almost a bit of a relief my last job was very stressful and tiring I use to wok from 6:30am until about 6pm and not get home until 7:30pm 5 days a week and saturdays during busy season!! I am also lucky, that worse case scenario my family would help me, not that they make me pay rent or anyhting, but I think if it came down to it they'd help for my car, etc. I am so glad I put enough money down on my car that my payment is only about 400, which is a lot less than it would have been putting minimum or nothing down.... siggghhhh Hopefully my job search goes good I do have an awesome recruiter who has booked so many interviews for me in just a couple of days! I will keep you updated!!! Fingers crossed I find a job in less than 2 weeks ... eeek

Definitely file for unemployment!! You should not feel guilty at all about that. My DH is in construction and he has had to file for unemployment in the past.

You are lucky that you are still living at home, and with the unemployment you should be just fine with making your car payments.

Don't do anything rash about selling your LV's, just put all future purchases on hold. You're young and you will find another job soon!

Don't lose hope and read articles about doing your best in a job internew. Go to that interview confident that you are the one for the job. Don't look desperate. Wear a nice purse to the interview but NOT LV! I think LV for a job interview is a NO NO!!

Hang in there - you will get a job soon!!

I am sorry that you got laid off. File for unemployment to help you out while you look for a new job.

There is no reason to fuss over what you spent in the past. Maybe it is good to re-evaluate how you spend in the future, but you can decide that over the next few weeks as you look for a new job. Good luck in the job hunt!

Definitely file for unemployment!! You should not feel guilty at all about that. My DH is in construction and he has had to file for unemployment in the past.

You are lucky that you are still living at home, and with the unemployment you should be just fine with making your car payments.

Don't do anything rash about selling your LV's, just put all future purchases on hold. You're young and you will find another job soon!

Don't lose hope and read articles about doing your best in a job internew. Go to that interview confident that you are the one for the job. Don't look desperate. Wear a nice purse to the interview but NOT LV! I think LV for a job interview is a NO NO!!

Hang in there - you will get a job soon!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I agree with you, I too think LV would be a no no for a job interview. I know I am going to be tempted to carry my ebene NF but I dont want to be pre-judged or anything. So you're right no LV!

I feel better about filing for unemployment now thanks to everyone here!
Thanks again :heart:

Dianabanana12 said:
Hi Everyone

Okay, I hope at least one person can relate to this thread. So on Tuesday I got laid off, totally unexpected. HUGE hit to my Ego :sad:..... I'm 25 years old, an accountant/ auditor (4 years experience) and working on passing my CPA exam. In one day I went from making almost 100,000 to 0 dollars. Fortunately, I got a small severance (2wks pay) and about 4 weeks of vacation and my paycheck for that 2 weeks was just coming in, this on top of my savings is enough for me for now. But now I feel like a fraud! I just bought a new car and was about to put a downpayment on a condo (thank god I didn't, I love living at home anyways lol) .... But am I wrong to feel this way? I almost feel like I make no money now and drive a new car (That I just bought less than a month ago, boo) and carrying LV's just makes me feel like a fraud :sad:.... Everyone is telling me to collect unemployment, which I would probably receive the max which is 635 a week where I live. But how can I collect? The thought of it makes me feel like a bum, almost like thinking there are people that are much worse off than me who really need their unemployment checks.... sigh I don't know.

I almost feel like I want to sell some of my LV's but my heart wants to buy new LV at the same time, common sense of course wouldn't let me ....

The good thing is I do have a few interviews lined up next week, so hopefully I can find a job within a week or 2 .... Losing my job though, makes me realize, maybe I shouldn't throw money away on things like LV's maybe I should save all my money in case this happens again?!

I just need some support .... If anyone else has gone through this and has been laid off or fired from there job I'd love to hear your story

Thanks guys

xoxo

Lots lots lots of luck hunnie !!! Sorry to hear
that .. But, don't feel sorry about you carrying
LV . U work hard for that one too ! Just find a
New job and move on . I know it's easy for me
To say it .. But, hey You're young pretty and
I'm sure u will get a job very very soon !
Keep us posted and don't sell your LV yet ;)

I am so sorry that you have to go through this! Back when I was in the working world, I got laid off twice (because of mergers). Both times, I got back on my feet. The first time was when I was single, and the second time. I had my DD a year earlier. You feel like your whole world, as you know it, has ended. Please don't take the layoff personally, it is not a reflection of your work ethic. Layoffs come down to numbers, and in the end no matter how "human" the company tries to make employees feel, all the employees are JUST numbers. Definitely file for unemployment. You paid for it! You shouldn't feel funny about your LVs, you purchased them while you were employed. I remember when I filed, there were guys wearing suits carrying Wall Street Journals. Unemployment is not welfare. It seems hopeless right now, but believe it or not, there may be a better situation waiting for you around the corner. Chin up!

I am not sure if this helps but let me try, My husband was in the navy 23 years he retired 7 years ago walked straight into a great job, doubled his income, never been out of work for a day, he did a 3 hr daily commute to this job and gave his all. Last May 2011 we closed on a house, 5 days later he got laid off, he phoned me to tell me to stop unpacking, I have 3 children, my world collapsed.
We were so scared, he got 7 weeks severance. Straight away a friend offered him a 4 week job which he did and we saved the money. after that it really killed him but he claimed around 5 weeks unemployment . He hated doing it. He spent 10 hours a day applying for jobs, He got an interview in another state by the end of June, better job than the last job, 15k more a year, he got the job we moved, found a renter for our home, so far we have been here 8 months and the old job really did us a favour.
You are young, collect the money, you have paid that..... you live at home, apply for everything.... you will get another job and i bet everything works out just the way it should have done.... Good Luck!

I'm so sorry for your recent turn of events and know that it must be a shocker and also a reality check, which it sounds like you are experiencing. The good news is that it sounds like you are marketable and will find another job soon. Don't make rash decisions about your loved LV bags as those quick decisions are not going to do much in the long run. Just take things in stride and you'll be OK, and of course love your bags that you've earned through hard work up to this point. Take care!