Tory Burch quality

YES!!! I still love her handbags and wallets, but I have a navy blue handbag that I bought directly from one of her stores that has turned black! I asked if they could refinish it for me and they said no. Then I called TB customer service and they said I had to send a picture, original receipt and tags and then they would decide what to do. Nordstroms told me that if I bought it from them they would have no problem either refinishing it or returning it! No questions asked.

Hi all...

I know this post may be kind of unpopular, but has anyone else noticed Tory Burch quality to be sub-par? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE tory burch. I have 2 pairs of revas, 3 bags, and a TB wallet. I have noticed though that none of my items have great quality. I am in the process of trying to return my wallet because the Gold emblem has completely chipped. I am sorry but I have only had it a few months and for $200 I expect better. Also some of the handles of my bags have peeled, the inside mirror broke off one of my bags, etc.

I still like her stuff and think it's really cute, but I am extremely hesitant to ever purchase anything TB again.

Anyone else have the same opinions?

I own 5 TB handbags- all saffiano leather. 3 are black, 1 is bordeaux, 1 is cobalt blue. The only complaints that I know of from reading comments on the d'ifferent stores websites are about her regular leather handbags. I read that the quality on the bombe tote was not good overall in terms of longevity. I can say that no designer is perfect- not even LV, etc. We shall see how my bags wear over time.

Hi ladies,

I'm relatively new to TB, but really appreciate this discussion. I've been looking for a structured tote, so the large Robinson tote has been on my radar. I recently looked at the Robinson alongside a Longchamp Roseau at Nordstrom. I believe that they were about the same price point. The SA highly recommended the LC due to the quality. However, I like the extra center zip pocket on the TB.

A friend of mine ordered the pink one when it was on sale from the TB website. Overall it looks gorgeous, but one of the side snaps popped out. I was searching for similar issues on the Bay and saw that there are others with this same issue. Since she hasn't removed the tags yet, I think she should contact TB about an exchange.

Overall, it's not a huge issue, but as one of the other ladies mentioned, when you spend this much on a tote/bag, there shouldn't be quality issues. :shrugs:

Attachments

• TB Robinson snap.jpg
    TB Robinson snap.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 16,112
I have 12+ revas/flats and to be quite honest for the price the quality is sub-par. The soles wear quickly and the back foot part wears when you drive (the wear is pretty bad on my revas..) I wish the peeling was minimal but its not :sad:

I hesitate to write negative reviews, but I just received last night a huge order from Tory Burch. I've had my eye on so many of her new Spring arrivals, so with the help of my work bonus I purchased some treats for myself. Almost all of it went back. I don't know if I'm used to above par quality from the other premier designer accessories I own, but I feel like $500 for a purse, $165 for sunglasses and $60 for earrings, I should be getting decent quality items. It's not small change, you know? Everything was "Made in China" and came wrapped in celophane. The backs of the earrings were bent when I took them out of the packaging. I've spent $28 on earrings from Anthropologie before and they were better quality than these were, I'm sorry to say. The sky blue Robinson Satchel, which I was SO excited about, had two metallic marks on the leather. The stitching was haphazard as well. But the marks were the dealbreaker for me. The sunglasses were chintzy and for the same price as my Ray Bans, I would have expected something a bit more substantial. I just wasn't impressed. The only thing I kept was the Robinson Blood Orange + Fuschia French Purse. The leather on it was not perfect, but it's pretty adorable. Has anyone else had a similar experience with her accessories and leather goods? I own lots of Kate Spade jewelry and sunglasses and all of these are beautiful and high quality, in my opinion, for a mid-range designer. I can't speak to Kate Spade bags though, as I don't own one.

Yes, I've noticed the same with her bags/wallets etc. I avoid them.

I only order (except 1) from the website and have seen no problems with my bags. I purchased the Robinson Satchel in cobalt blue. It is lovely! I hate to hear the complaints but appreciate them. It just goes to prove that designers have to always be on their guard to ensure that their products hold up. Like I said, I own 5 now- all Saffiano leather. I would only recommend that you buy saffiano leather bags from her.

The bag that I ordered elsewhere was on ebay. It was an authentic large robinson tote. I got it a lower price because of the snaps. It didn't affect the quality of the bag- especially for the price. I have had problems with the premier designers as well- brand new from the store. Nobody is perfect.

I have purchased a wallet from Tory but I ended up returning it because I really did not like the bulkiness of the wallet. I think 'bulkiness' is always the turn-off for the Tory Burch's wallets and handbags. They look good, but I really do not like how it feels in my hands. I saw a wallet in a similar design at Fendi but it felt much much much better in hands. I understand that comparing $500-600 range wallet and $150 wallet is not a fair comparison, but I just want to bring up the point that you cannot expect the quality of the luxury items from Tory.

I've had my soles come undone from the base of the shoe, but I consider that wear and tear and I did trip a couple times so I'm pretty sure it's my fault they came undone. My leopard revas color wears off when it gets rubbed on stuff, so sad. But I remind myself it's all made in China and I purchase everything on sale. Otherwise, all my shoes look brand new still which is amazing given how often I wear it all.

So I just recently ordered the patent navy Robinson tote and wanted your opinions for Tory Burch patent leather. Would you say that it is better quality than a regular leather Robinson tote and would it be more resistant to normal wear and tear?

So I just recently ordered the patent navy Robinson tote and wanted your opinions for Tory Burch patent leather. Would you say that it is better quality than a regular leather Robinson tote and would it be more resistant to normal wear and tear?

i don't own any tb bags (yet) but i do have a patent robinson wallet. i bought it in dec. & have been using it daily since. i'd say it's in like new condition. it's actually sturdier than i expected. i usually buy the same style wallet, but my leather ones would show wear & stretch faster. the patent holds it's shape well & i'd say it's more resistant to reg. leather. this is compared to other (non tb) leather bags i've owned

I hesitate to write negative reviews, but I just received last night a huge order from Tory Burch. I've had my eye on so many of her new Spring arrivals, so with the help of my work bonus I purchased some treats for myself. Almost all of it went back. I don't know if I'm used to above par quality from the other premier designer accessories I own, but I feel like $500 for a purse, $165 for sunglasses and $60 for earrings, I should be getting decent quality items. It's not small change, you know? Everything was "Made in China" and came wrapped in celophane. The backs of the earrings were bent when I took them out of the packaging. I've spent $28 on earrings from Anthropologie before and they were better quality than these were, I'm sorry to say. The sky blue Robinson Satchel, which I was SO excited about, had two metallic marks on the leather. The stitching was haphazard as well. But the marks were the dealbreaker for me. The sunglasses were chintzy and for the same price as my Ray Bans, I would have expected something a bit more substantial. I just wasn't impressed. The only thing I kept was the Robinson Blood Orange + Fuschia French Purse. The leather on it was not perfect, but it's pretty adorable. Has anyone else had a similar experience with her accessories and leather goods? I own lots of Kate Spade jewelry and sunglasses and all of these are beautiful and high quality, in my opinion, for a mid-range designer. I can't speak to Kate Spade bags though, as I don't own one.

What was wrong with the sunglasses? I just got one of the new Tory styles at sunglass hut and I love them! In fact they are a lot nicer than the Michael Kors and
Ralph Lauren sunglasses that I own.

I have to agree with you Chloe. Try as I might to find a Burch bag that doesn't possess sub-par quality in some form or fashion, I finally gave up. I love, love, love, the styles, but something about the majority her bags look cheap. I have always purchased bags from the higher-end designers, which taught me to look at things like stitching, quality of leather, durability, etc. I just bought a Rebecca Minkoff bag that is breathtaking and looks every bit as expensive as the higher-end bags. Maybe I am just anal. However, at the end of the day it is money (for me) hard earned and I refuse to settle for the sake of wearing a designer label.

Prior to the President's Day Sale, my only experience with TB was a pair of plain, chocolate brown leather Miller flip flops that I bought many years ago. They're plain, with no embellishments, but their versatility was great! I could wear them on the beach or in a high end restaurant. I've worn them to death and finally, they're just about shot.

I was excited to see leather Miller flip flops without the hardware emblem offered this season. I was willing to pay the almost $200 because I need a new pair. I purchased several pieces online without seeing or touching or feeling any of it in a store.

My list included: Leather Stacked Hobo in royal tan ($465), Fletcher High Heel Sandal in royal tan ($350) and Tumbled Leather Miller Flip Flops ($195) also in royal tan. I couldn't wait for the boxes to arrive.

The boxing and display were nice, but like another member mentioned, the purse was in cellophane. "Made in China" - Packaging you'd expect cheap tank tops to be mass mailed in. Well, it went downhill from there. Although the Fletcher High Heels are fabulous, they're not the same color as the other pieces, despite all being sold as "royal tan" - The Fletchers are a rich shade of luggage or saddle. They're heavy, but nice.

Wish I could say the same for the purse and flip flops. I was in utter shock at how poor the quality of the purse was. I'm still shaking my head. It was in a cheap plastic bag and the leather felt SO cheap, flimsy, weak, low end for a bag that retails for almost $500. The color was awful. Very bland, dingy, ugly. I was equally sad that the flip flops did not feel anything like the pair I had from years ago. The difference in quality was obvious. I returned both. Still, that purse was embarrassing. Then it took me three weeks to be refunded.

Despite this experience, I called TB to see if I could get Fleur High Heels in my size and the phone assistant said they didn't make them in my size (11...me and Paris Hilton wear 11's ha!) I was disappointed they didn't make them in my size because the Fletcher High Heels were very nice and I was willing to take the chance on the Fleur high heeled sandals. In any event, I ended up stumbling across them on the Nordstrom site. In my size. The TB phone assistant was wrong, her company does make the shoes in my size. I ordered them from Nordstrom, got them within a week and they're pretty nice.

Overall, I have to sadly admit I think TB quality is nowhere near what it once was. I was lusting after her sky blue Robinson bag (color looked so Parisian) but I just never mustered up the effort to take the chance.

Last edited:
I have to agree, the quality of Tory Burch is sub-par. To be fair though, I find my Louis Vuitton bags to not be of the greatest quality either. I have a pair of Tory Burch flip flops that I just recently got, and the upper sole is already fading in color, on top of the fact that they are not comfortable at all. Also, the square Tory Burch emblem on the side isn't made of nice, heavy metal, it seems almost plasticky and cheap. I also ordered and returned the Edye hobo in black, because I was convinced the bag was made of PVC, not real leather.

I do have a pair of flat espadrilles that have held up surprisingly well though, given that I have had them for a year and traversed across Europe and back to Texas in. They even got rain soaked multiple times, and I had to soak them in bleach to kill the smell and stains. I would comment on the quality of Reva flats, but mine are so painful I hardful wear them and never for long.

This whole thread makes me really nervous though, because I was planning on buying the Robinson Gusset Cross Body soon, but now I'm nervous to spend about 500 on something that may break apart quickly. Anyone know anything about the quality of that bag or whatever else? FYI Saks has a 20% off almost everything right now!

It's weird how esteemed Tory Burch has become, given the questionable quality of products. I'm not really a Coach fan, but I have to say, their quality is probably the best I've seen of designer/contemporary lines.