Downton Abbey

aww I had forgotten how much I love mr. bates and ana together :love:

the best line of the night was: "edith, you're a lady, not toad of toad hall!"

I feel spoiled for getting two hours worth tonight.

What did Bates' wife say to make him leave? I went to raid the refrigerator (these British shows don't seem to believe in commercial breaks :P), and when I came back he was mad as hell at the woman, but I couldn't figure out why. Then Lord Crawley was mad when Bates spoke to him about leaving, and I still didn't understand why.

What did Bates' wife say to make him leave? I went to raid the refrigerator (these British shows don't seem to believe in commercial breaks :P), and when I came back he was mad as hell at the woman, but I couldn't figure out why. Then Lord Crawley was mad when Bates spoke to him about leaving, and I still didn't understand why.

lady, don't you have a dvr with a pause button?? it's 2012!! ;)

ok, let me see if I can remember this correctly... I'll put this in spoiler tags in case people haven't watched yet.

bates' wife learned of the rumor about the diplomat dying in Mary's bed and her maid helping to disguise it (or however that story happened, they moved his body, right?...). bates' wife basically blackmailed him, that if he didn't leave with her she would reveal the story (I forgot to whom she said but she did say). so he had to go, both to protect the whole family's honor and ana's.

lord crawley wasn't told by Bates why he was leaving, hence him being super mad. if I remember correctly from the first season, the lord doesn't even know the mary story, right? which is why Carson wouldn't give him the details when he was explaining that what Bates did was honorable?

I just finished watching the first episode... how did I not know about this show!

I will probably watch season one tomorrow... luckily, I don't really have anything planned.

I think I have a crush on Mr. Bates :love:

I just finished watching the first episode... how did I not know about this show!

I will probably watch season one tomorrow... luckily, I don't really have anything planned.

I think I have a crush on Mr. Bates :love:

that's how I fell in love. I watched season one in one fell swoop just about this time last year. you won't be able to stop until you get to the last episode, I promise.

lady, don't you have a dvr with a pause button?? it's 2012!! ;)

ok, let me see if I can remember this correctly... I'll put this in spoiler tags in case people haven't watched yet.

bates' wife learned of the rumor about the diplomat dying in Mary's bed and her maid helping to disguise it (or however that story happened, they moved his body, right?...). bates' wife basically blackmailed him, that if he didn't leave with her she would reveal the story (I forgot to whom she said but she did say). so he had to go, both to protect the whole family's honor and ana's.

lord crawley wasn't told by Bates why he was leaving, hence him being super mad. if I remember correctly from the first season, the lord doesn't even know the mary story, right? which is why Carson wouldn't give him the details when he was explaining that what Bates did was honorable?

Ha! You sound like my best friend whenever I say that I have to catch a show streaming on the Internet.

Thanks for the recap! That was a crucial part I missed, obviously. I re-watched season one yesterday, and it seems that Thomas was the one to help the ball rolling on that rumor. He wrote to a valet friend of his in London and told about the Turkish diplomat dying at the castle. Then he and O'Brien kind of forced the story out of Daisy after she had a spell in Mary's room (because she'd seen them removing the Turk from there). O'Brien told Edith (and we know how much Edith loves Mary), who first spoke with Daisy about the matter then who wrote to the Turkish ambassador about what Daisy had told her.

I think the Countess is the only parent who knows the truth about what happened to the diplomat.

Thanks again!

Did anyone catch the christmas special?

:santawave:

Love this show, and all shows that take place in the days when men were gentlemen and women wore pretty dresses all the time :love:

I admit, I watched the Christmas special online, before watching season 2. A bit like reading the last chapter...but I didn't want to invest the time if things weren't going to work out. Love the show. Still left lots for season 3.

^^^Last I looked they just had clips. Thanks will have to check it out.

Interesting article about the outfits.

Hand me Downton: How dresses in ITV hit have been recycled from other major films Gowns and accessories previously worn by stars including Uma Thurman, Emma Thompson and Catherine Zeta-Jones
'You can’t supply originals to everyone because it would make an already expensive programme simply unaffordable', says costumier Tim Angel
By Sadie Whitelocks

Last updated at 4:56 PM on 9th January 2012

Comments (2) Share

Despite the second series boasting a £12 million price tag, behind-the-scenes Downton Abbey has enforced some cost saving tactics.

Attentive viewers have spotted that ITV's flagship show has secretly been recycling hand-me-down costumes from old period dramas in a bid to cut costs.

Many of the sumptuous gowns and accessories worn by the programme's leading ladies have previously clothed the likes of Uma Thurman, Emma Thompson and Catherine Zeta-Jones in classic screenplays ranging from Howard's End to A Room With A View.

Spot the difference? Emma Thompson in 1992 film Howard's End, Catherine Zeta Jones in 2007 thriller Death Defying Acts and Lady Mary Crawley in Downton Abbey wear the same floral shirt

According to Katie Bugg, a designer who runs Recycledmoviecostumes.com this is common practice on expensive productions to ensure budgets don't overrun.
She states: 'Recycled movie costumes are gowns that often appear in one production and then go on to be used in another.
More...Kleenex for Kate as she sheds a tear at War Horse premiere (and director Steven Spielberg admits he cried too)
Daring duchess, winner in the glamour stakes at War Horse premiere
Who's who in the corset crew: How the stars behind TV's hit period dramas are connected through romance, fashion and Cambridge
How the real life Downton heir plotted to kill his father

'Many movies have very small costume budgets, which means that instead of making all of the costumes, the designer is forced to rent costumes from a costume house.
'Sometimes costumes are altered significantly to give it a new look, and sometimes the dress is used as it appeared for the first time.'

In one scene Michelle Dockery, who plays Lady Mary Crawley in the hit Edwardian drama, wears a floral blouse first seen on actress Emma Thompson in 1992 film Howard's End.

The same costume is also worn by Catherine Zeta Jones as Mary McGarvie in the supernatural romantic thriller Death Defying Acts.

In Downtown Abbey, Michelle Dockery (right) recycles a gown previously seen in Finding Neverland in 2004
Dockery (right) wears an elaborate black choker worn by Monica Bellucci in the film Brotherhood Of The Wolf

It is not the only costume shared by Zeta Jones and Dockery.
The Downton actress recycles a red dress worn by the Welsh Actress in the same 2007 film opposite Guy Pearce.

Continuing the trend, Dockery wears a fetching silky green dress with sheer arms, a frock that had previously been worn by Radha Mitchell when portraying the wife of Peter Pan author J. M. Barrie in Finding Neverland in 2004.

And on a separate occasion, she is seen in an elaborate black choker so distinctive that viewers remembered Monica Bellucci wearing the same accessory in the film Brotherhood Of The Wolf almost a decade ago.
Tim Angel, whose costume firm Angels provided many of Downtown Abbey’s frocks, said: ‘I would say around two-thirds of the costumes you see in Downton are from stock and have been used before.

'There is nothing wrong with that. You can’t supply originals to everyone because it would make an already expensive programme simply unaffordable.’
Elizabeth McGovern, who plays Cora Crawley, adorns a similar outfit to Uma Thurman in The Golden Bowl
Dame Maggie Smith as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham appears in a long-sleeved, teal silk dress (right) also worn by Thurman in the 2000 film, The Golden Bowl
The frock worn by Laura Carmichael (right) was worn by Elaine Cassidy in the 2007 hit A Room With A View

Dockery is not the only actress that has been caught out by eagle-eyed viewers.

Elizabeth McGovern, who plays Cora Crawley, adorns a very similar outfit to Uma Thurman's character in The Golden Bowl, although the gown appears to have been altered slightly by dressmakers.

Dame Maggie Smith as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham also appears in a long-sleeved, teal silk dress. as worn by Thurman in the same 2000 film.

And if viewers felt they were familiar with the ivory summer dress worn by Laura Carmichael as Lady Edith Crawley, archive pictures reveal why.

The dress had appeared three years earlier, in 2007, on Lucy Honeychurch, played by Elaine Cassidy, whose story was detailed in A Room with a View - a drama also shown on ITV.

Despite the cost cutting measure, some characters, such as Samantha Bond’s Lady Rosamund Painswick, were dressed entirely in outfits hired from outside.
Recycledmoviecostumes.com, showcases many similar examples from other period dramas.

One brown dress has appeared in seven productions over the past 15 years, including Pride & Prejudice, Vanity Fair, Little Dorrit and The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister.

Meanwhile, a yellow ball gown created for the 1994 film The Madness Of King George has made six more appearances, one of them in a 2006 episode of Doctor Who.

Downton Abbey, which tells the story of a fictional estate in North Yorkshire, first aired in September 2010 and has since been nominated for four Golden Globe Awards.
A third season will be broadcast in September this year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...V-hit-recycled-major-films.html#ixzz1iz8FCOwD