Workplace College Degree and Career

Wow, so few in the health field. Have my BS in nursing, and work as an RN. Pretty straightforward which is one reason I chose this field.

Health field people in my experience are generally on the health boards. :smile: My account on the student doctor network has over 7k posts. I'm in the health field myself, almost half way done with my Pharm.D going on clinical rotations next year.

Wow, so few in the health field. Have my BS in nursing, and work as an RN. Pretty straightforward which is one reason I chose this field.

Glad you enjoy patient care! I have a PhD in clinical psych but hated clinical practice, so I went into the corporate world and work in a role at a large insurance organization, my responsibilities include strategy, product innovation, analytics. While I don't do anything clinical I do still maintain my psychologist license just in case.

bachelor in Social Work. Did close to three years of child protection and hated every minute of it. Eventually landed my dream job as an addictions counselor. I looked at moving out of the woods, however my profession is the highest paying right where I am to and living is cheap so I am here for now. Wanted to do law, debating finishing my almost done BA in philosophy when I get bored. Masters here means not a big pay increase and not a lot of jobs that require it.

Last edited:
B.S. in Biological Sciences and Psychology with a concentration in Cognitive Neuroscience and a minor in Chemistry. Currently in my 3rd of medical school and planning on going into Psychiatry or Neurology, so, I will be working in my field.

bachelor in Social Work. Did close to three years of child protection and hated every minute of it. Eventually landed my dream job as an addictions counselor. I looked at moving out of the woods, however my profession is the highest paying right where I am to and living is cheap so I am here for now. Wanted to do law, debating finishing my almost done BA in philosophy when I get bored. Masters here means not a big pay increase and not a lot of jobs that require it.

I'm a Addiction's Counselor as well, but in NYC. My BA is in Forensic Psychology. I'm currently studying for my MPA. I'm not sure if the degree will make a big difference in salary, but it's interesting.

I'm a Addiction's Counselor as well, but in NYC. My BA is in Forensic Psychology. I'm currently studying for my MPA. I'm not sure if the degree will make a big difference in salary, but it's interesting.

Here in NL, you cannot practice addictions unless you have your bachelor in Social Work (which I have) or actually you cannot practice any social work job without a BSW. Outside of here in the rest of Canada, a lot of places will take a college diploma so it keeps our salary higher then the rest of the country. If I get my BA in philosophy, it would not do much, same as if I got my masters.

I've a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. I'm a consultant in supply chain field but I do mostly IT project management. Am still thinking about MBA but I'm not sure how I could cope with studying part-time and working full-time!

Interesting! I'm getting a MSW and have been finding a ton of job asking for LMSW as minimum qualification and LISW as preferred. I'm in CPS but not sure I wanna do it forever.

Interesting! I'm getting a MSW and have been finding a ton of job asking for LMSW as minimum qualification and LISW as preferred. I'm in CPS but not sure I wanna do it forever.

What's LMSW ? That confuses me. Here we have bachelor, masters and doctorate. You cannot even start your Masters at the local university unless you have 2 years in field experience. You can get it distance as soon as you want with other univerisities but ours is so cheap. A semester of university here is 1,300 or so for tuition which from what I understand is not bad.

Cp here was under the health board until about a year ago when the government took it back over. I jumped ship. Everyone who stayed got the shaft in regards to senority and stuff. They started back at day one and I got to take it all with me. I applaud anyone who can do that job. I was severely burned out by the time I left. I am glad I got the job I got now or I would have been to walmart somewhere working because I just would have up and quit.

LMSW is what you get here after you get your masters and pass your licensing exam, LISW is what you get after you have collected a ton of hours of clinical supervision and maybe another exam. You can also get licensed at the bachelor's level here but my bachelor's is in sociology.

Your system is so different! My school took me with a BA in sociology and completely irrelevant work experience. But a lot of the people I work with (well, it's my field placement now, but I will be back there for a job as part of my financial aid package after graduation and licensure) are either LBSW or have their bachelor's in something else and are going part time towards their master's degrees. That sounds like a really sucky situation at your old job - so glad you are doing something you like now! (And it makes my Canadian coworker's degrees from her Canadian universities look all the more impressive knowing how much more they expect!)

What's LMSW ? That confuses me. Here we have bachelor, masters and doctorate. You cannot even start your Masters at the local university unless you have 2 years in field experience. You can get it distance as soon as you want with other univerisities but ours is so cheap. A semester of university here is 1,300 or so for tuition which from what I understand is not bad.

Cp here was under the health board until about a year ago when the government took it back over. I jumped ship. Everyone who stayed got the shaft in regards to senority and stuff. They started back at day one and I got to take it all with me. I applaud anyone who can do that job. I was severely burned out by the time I left. I am glad I got the job I got now or I would have been to walmart somewhere working because I just would have up and quit.
Hats off to both of you! Before I got in to this field, I seriously thought about getting my MSW, but after working with a certain population, I was thoroughly convinced that Social Work was NOT for me.

Burn out is real and the income really isn;t comparable to other graduate programs. You have to be a special person to be a social worker

Hats off to both of you! Before I got in to this field, I seriously thought about getting my MSW, but after working with a certain population, I was thoroughly convinced that Social Work was NOT for me.

Burn out is real and the income really isn;t comparable to other graduate programs. You have to be a special person to be a social worker

That's the thing about here, it is worth it. The money is really good and the cost of living here is cheap, I just hate living here in the woods.

I graduated '10 with a BS in Chemistry. Now I'm working at a biotech company, but most of my job does not require any chemistry skills whatsoever (more like statistics, Excel, and Minitab). I realized that employers look at technical skills/experience more than what degree you graduated with.

I majored in History & English with a pre-law concentration and graduated in 2008. I went to three different universities in four years (one small private, one large public, and one small public) partly due to being a participant in the National Student Exchange program.

I currently work as an online marketing manager for a high-end retailer in Central California. So...basically, no connection whatsoever. However, I do think that my writing and research skills help me immensely, and my years spent dabbling in internet activity for fun & as the online editor of a newspaper in college helped too. I've always been a fashion and internet nerd, so I consider myself very blessed to have fallen into a field of work that I truly love.

Hi, what you did, you came to the interview with your writing and research skills samples, or they just made a writing and research test there? Just curious because its so hard to find a job with no experience and I even have a Marketing degree.