Remembering The Notorious B.I.G.

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
The_Notorious_BIG.JPG

March 09, 2007 will mark the 10th anniversary of the death of Christopher Wallace (AKA Frank White, AKA Biggie Smalls).

To be honest, I didn't really appreciate his music when he was alive. In high school, I really liked Big Poppa and Hypnotize. After high school and after his death, I discovered Juicy, Victory and Notorious Thugs. It gradually made me realize how much of a lyrical genius he was.

I took a poetry course in college and I think it helped me understand rap music. Rap lyrics are really just a poem set to a backing track. Studying the lyrics made me realize that not all rap music is about *****es and hos. (Yes, the majority of it is, but there are quite a few out there that aren't. BIG's Juicy is about the difference between his poor background and his success. Tupac's Dear Mama is for his mother and Keep Ya Head Up is for black women, telling them not to give up.)

Both BIG and Tupac were 25 when they were killed. (And if this thread turns out to be poplular, I can start a Tupac thread.)

It started off as this disagreement between two rappers that got blown out of proportion and as a result, two gifted rappers were killed way too young.

Yeah, its hard to believe that is been ten years now. I really enjoyed listening to Biggie and most of Tupac's music. Still to this day I love their music and think that they died way to soon. Both of their music had an influence on the rap game. Hopefully, rappers will see what happen to those two successful rappers and put an end to all the animosity one day.

I love him !
His death was SUCH a travesty !!:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
He was so incredibly talented and he has influenced so many of the current hip hop artists.

What a waste huh ???:sad:

And you would think these current artists would learn something of the deaths instead of continued fighting among them:s
RIP Biggie..........:heart:

If you want to pay respects to Tupac in this thread, feel free.

(I only made this a Notorious B.I.G. thread because the anniversary of his death is coming up in March. Tupac's is September 12.)

220px-2Pac2.jpg

Tupac Amaru Shakur
Born Parish Lesane Crooks
(AKA 2pac, AKA Makaveli, AKA 'Pac)

In 2003, the Academy Award winning documentary Tupac: Resurrection was released.

Runnin' (Dyin' To Live) was on the soundtrack. So was a lot of Tupac's previously unreleased tracks.

Other than Dear Mama, and Keep Ya Head Up, I loved California Love and

Life after death was the best album! I was 13 (I'm showing my age a bit. I'm 24 now) when it came out and I didn't even want the album (I'm not into rap like that), but someone I don't really know gave it to me for my birthday. I used to bump that in the house when I was all alone.

I still rap along with him whenever I hear a song. This thread really brought up something for me. I know rap isn't something a lot of folks on here understand, but it the words that mean something to me. I kid you not I've got Biggie in my cd changer right now. Some of my favorites are:

Juicy
One More Chance
Big Poppa
Nasty Girl Remix
Notorious Thugs (with Bone Thug)
10 Crack Commandments (my fav! Words to live by. You got to listen to the words. That goes for anything you do in life)
Loving (um the other word is a little too graphic for the PF) You Tonight
What's Beef?
Another (with Lil Kim)
Warning
Kick in the Door
Somebody's Gotta Die
Who Shot Ya
Bleed
Suicidal Thoughts
Sky's the Limit
Nasty Boy
The World is Filled (I STILL like it even though Diddy is on the track)
Playa Hater (Ron Isley would be proud)

Honorable Mention to the BEST song he's on PERIOD:

Junior Mafia - Get Money
Oh and I almost forgot Player's Anthem

Ok, that's enought. I got into this thread way too much.

Oh my God! I forgot Nasty Girl!

I can't do the entire rap, but I know particular lines, so whenever I'm listening to them, I just chime in with what I know.

I'm so glad you responded to this thread the way you did, elongreach.

I was so afraid this thread wouldn't be popular.

I give biggie props cause he really had a whimsical flow and excellent word play. That being said, I don't think he's the best like so many people want to say he is. He's maybe in the top 10-20. To me, Talib Qweli, De La Soul, LL Cool J, Rakim are higher on my list