POLL: PS1 Medium or Bal Velo

POLL: Ultimate Day to Night Bag on Lazy Days

• Balenciaga Velo

• PS1 Medium Satchel

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since I own neither, I can only suggest the PSI based on what other TPF members say about the two styles. The PSI seems to be the more durable bag, but as far as going from casual to dressy, I honestly don't see the PSI being anything but either casual or business-like., as in carrying files etc. This pic of the midnight one especially looks more like a laptop bag. I really like the bag, but am wondering if I'm the only one who views it like this (?).

I agree that the PS1 is a casual day bag, but I don't find it business like. It's not a bag I would wear with heels or dressy outfits, but I think it's suitable for the dressier side of casual dressing if that makes sense (like flats and jeans and a nice top), especially the darker colours. If I need to be dressy I use other bags, but as a day to day bag that gets the most use, it is perfect.

between the 2 styles , i would probably go for the PS1.
but i remember that you already have a PS1 - do you have a Bal?
would you rather have 2 of the same styles or different styles?
if you don't have a Bal, maybe you could consider another Bal style aside from the Velo as the feedback of the Velo doesn't seem great.

but between PS1 and Bal, i think i prefer Bal.
perhaps look at other Bal styles to see if there are any others that catch your fancy
maybe you could consider the Maxi Twiggy style if you want something cross body?

@ lavie: Yes, I do have a PS1 already in Large Smoke. I think that's partly where my dilemma lies. I don't have a Bal bag yet in my collection, so a Bal Velo would be a great addition. However, I am really in love with the PS leather, compartments, etc.

Honestly, I think you'll be happier in the long run with the PS1 Medium rather than the Bal Velo , batgirl. I've owned many Bbags and have often wondered if I should take the plunge with the Velo. Everytime I try it on, though, something seems off.

I was just discussing this with another tpfer who's owned a Velo and then sold it. We're both over the moon with our PS1 Mediums. If you're looking for a go-to, everyday kick-around bag, the PS1 Medium is perfect. I've been wearing it everyday since I got it, and it's great. Wore it crossbody all day Saturday at the park with my daughter, took it shopping, to some restaurants, everyday to work... it's just the perfect casual-yet-chic, day-to-night type of bag.

As for being able to take a beating, hands down the decision is PS1. Wearing my PS1 for the past few days has made me think about giving up Bbags forever. There's so much freedom in wearing the PS1... the leather and edge coating is far more durable than Bal. I don't have to worry about wear on the handles or corners. You can bump into things, things can bump into you, and no worries at all.

@ riry: Thank you for your insightful response! I'm actually leaning towards a choice already. And, your inputs are making it so much easier! ;D

^^ Glad I logged in intime to see this! batgirl - my solid vote goes to the PS1. I've owned several Velos and although they start out nice, I don't think Bal thought the Velo out completely. The opening of the bag becomes awkward the more it breaks in (you'd think this was a good thing...) and the handles wrinkle on the Velo way too easily. Then you get that ugly handle look sooner than later. Plus it hangs way too low and is not adjustable.

PS1 without a doubt.

@ REREsaurus: Thanks for this... The Velo is something I wanted for a very long time... until I discovered the PS. That's why I appreciate hearing all sides, especially those who are Bal and PS users.

Lastly - I had a black covered hardware Velo before my current RH one and I sold it quickly because I was super paranoid about rubbing/wear on the hardware. There's a pic of Lea Michele on the Bal Celebs thread with one completely exposed metal nub on her covered city!! :wtf::wtf::wtf:

@ cali_to_ny: This is my biggest concern with the Covered HWare... I have read and heard of this so many times as well. :sad: And, if I can't have the CH Velo, then chances are I'd rather not get the Velo anymore.

ok changed my avi so here is the PS1 large/Bal Velo comparison pic!

attachment.php

@ cali_to_ny: Thank you for the comparison shots! As I'm a very visual person, this photo is really helpful. I didn't realise that the Velo was almost similar in size to the large PS. I guess the large PS seemed bigger to me because of all the compartments.

Considering this is a PS thread.. it's not surprising that more people voted for the PS1! :lol: That said, I own both bags and I think you need to break down further HOW you intend to use this bag ie. are you planning to use it more as a crossbody, handheld or shoulder..

From my personal experiences - and please bear with me over its length! - I think the Bal Velo is perfect as a crossbody and for all the things you mentioned - everyday shopping, sightseeing, coffe-ing, travelling/going on tours, etc. In fact, it's pretty much what I've been using my Bal for. :yahoo: Why it's working for me as a 'lazy bag' (I love this description!) is because it's very slouchy and just rests against my hip like second skin - so it's perfect to wade through crowds and public transport. The second reason for the Bal being the better crossbody is because of its lengthier strap drop as compared to the PS1. Being 5'7", the drop of my PS1 large's strap is several inches too short to rest comfortably at my hip.

However, if you're more likely to carry it shoulder and use it for more formal/dressy occasions, I'd say go for the PS1. Firstly, it's much more structured and tends to keep its shape when carried. I find the Bal less ideal as a shoulder - it's a wee bit too long when I wear the strap, unless you are very tall. Also it's quite uncomfortable (almost impossible imo) when I wear the handles. But this shouldn't be a problem if you have skinny arms.. unfortunately I don't! So no shoulder for me... :shucks:

Handheld-wise, I don't think there are significant differences - both have pros and cons. The pro for both is that they look great handheld!!! :tup: The con for the PS1 is that it's quite difficult to close once it's open - the front 'splats' out so you're left standing/balancing on one foot to get the clasp close again. Though it could also be I'm just clumsy by nature! :wondering: As for the Velo, it's pretty deep so it can be quite a bit of a dig to get anything from your bag!

The bottom line is I think both bags are great!! If you already own a PS, I think the Bal would make a lovely addition. But if you don't already own a PS.. well.. I guess only you can decide which bag to go for! :lol:

@ ckfox: Thank you for your very helpful response. I actually am 75% convinced of what bag I want. But, as I'm a very prudent buyer.... I like to listen to all the pros and cons. Thanks again! I really appreciate hearing from people like you who are both Bal Velo and PS users, because they can really speak from experience.

@batgirl: no worries! am happy that you found the response helpful~~ In hindsight I ought to have added - if you don't carry much, best not to get the Velo as it is pretty big - as cali's photo shows, as wide as the PS1 Large.. so you're probably better off with the medium. I've tried on the medium myself.. and it is simply divine!!! But I carry a lot of junk so the medium was less than ideal for me.. LOL

@batgirl: no worries! am happy that you found the response helpful~~ In hindsight I ought to have added - if you don't carry much, best not to get the Velo as it is pretty big - as cali's photo shows, as wide as the PS1 Large.. so you're probably better off with the medium. I've tried on the medium myself.. and it is simply divine!!! But I carry a lot of junk so the medium was less than ideal for me.. LOL

@ ckfox: Just like you, I carry a lot of stuff as well, see my reveal here showing inside shots of my PS. Actually, the photo had me thinking... maybe I should be considering velo or the large PS! Talk about getting more confused!!! :huh:

@ ckfox: Just like you, I carry a lot of stuff as well, see my reveal here showing inside shots of my PS. Actually, the photo had me thinking... maybe I should be considering velo or the large PS! Talk about getting more confused!!! :huh:

LOL! I guess one way to decide is to try the Velo on yourself? Do you have a boutique nearby to do so? Personally I didn't consider a Velo until I tried it on.. and it was :love: :love: :love: And while I personally think the Bal would make a great addiction, it is similarly sized to the PS1 Large, which you already own.. so a PS1 Medium may be the better alternative in this case? Whichever you choose.. do keep us in the loop!

It's good to have variety, since you already have a PS1, Balenciaga Velo is also really nice. I have 1 & I love it. No bag is perfect, they always have there PROS & CONS. If you think you will enjoy wearing it, you should go for it.

I love Bals, but I sold half of my collection to explore other brands, such as Celine & also I want a PS1 Medium myself.

My thoughts exactly...I don't know whether to get the PS1 Large or the Bal Velo...especially after my scare with the fake PS1...

Feel kinda discouraged about it atm... I'm straight up an LV girl but lately been wanting to switch over to something else and Bal Velo or PS1 (either purple or black...my two favorite colors!) was totally my style, that was top handle and crossbody...

Update on that fiasco....I have already returned the bag to the reseller but they need a few days to "look into the matter" and have not returned my money yet and when they find out they said I would have the option to "keep the bag" or exchange it for something else or get my money back....
At this point I'd rather get my money back and am thinking of just purchasing from Aloharag because they have both the Bal Velo and the PS1 medium in black and its free shipping...despite me being at the other side of the world...
So I'm still deciding between the PS1 and the Bal Velo...
I've kinda had my moment with the PS1 albeit it wasn't exactly the PS1...but I really liked the bag and the structure and the feel...
Have yet to see the Bal Velo in real person though...but I have seen pictures of the Bal ladies and they all seem very happy with it...and I really like how it looks casual...
So I don't know.. :help::shrugs:
Oh btw sorry I got kinda long winded in this post I guess I was just ranting out and needed to vent/share it a bit....

Considering this is a PS thread.. it's not surprising that more people voted for the PS1! :lol: That said, I own both bags and I think you need to break down further HOW you intend to use this bag ie. are you planning to use it more as a crossbody, handheld or shoulder..

From my personal experiences - and please bear with me over its length! - I think the Bal Velo is perfect as a crossbody and for all the things you mentioned - everyday shopping, sightseeing, coffe-ing, travelling/going on tours, etc. In fact, it's pretty much what I've been using my Bal for. :yahoo: Why it's working for me as a 'lazy bag' (I love this description!) is because it's very slouchy and just rests against my hip like second skin - so it's perfect to wade through crowds and public transport. The second reason for the Bal being the better crossbody is because of its lengthier strap drop as compared to the PS1. Being 5'7", the drop of my PS1 large's strap is several inches too short to rest comfortably at my hip.

However, if you're more likely to carry it shoulder and use it for more formal/dressy occasions, I'd say go for the PS1. Firstly, it's much more structured and tends to keep its shape when carried. I find the Bal less ideal as a shoulder - it's a wee bit too long when I wear the strap, unless you are very tall. Also it's quite uncomfortable (almost impossible imo) when I wear the handles. But this shouldn't be a problem if you have skinny arms.. unfortunately I don't! So no shoulder for me... :shucks:

Handheld-wise, I don't think there are significant differences - both have pros and cons. The pro for both is that they look great handheld!!! :tup: The con for the PS1 is that it's quite difficult to close once it's open - the front 'splats' out so you're left standing/balancing on one foot to get the clasp close again. Though it could also be I'm just clumsy by nature! :wondering: As for the Velo, it's pretty deep so it can be quite a bit of a dig to get anything from your bag!

The bottom line is I think both bags are great!! If you already own a PS, I think the Bal would make a lovely addition. But if you don't already own a PS.. well.. I guess only you can decide which bag to go for! :lol:
may i ask which one is heavier? i have a bal. velo with giant hardware and i hate it because its too heavy for me. i want to buy a large ps1 but im scared it would be heavy too.