Care of Hardware

Sus

O.G.
Sep 21, 2006
Does anyone use anything other than a damp cloth to "polish" the hardware on bags? I know that authentic H bag hardware does not tarnish but I was curious whether there is something to use recomended by Hermes? For that matter something for the cadenas too?[/SIZE]

OH. I don't polish the hardware on my bags. Sometimes, when I see too many smurgy finger prints, I'll just pull the bottom of whatever blouse or T shirt that I'm wearing to give it a once-over :greengrin:

I don't bother...if it gets too scratched after say...decades of using, I MAY bring it in to the craftsman to have them changed. I'm pretty good at ignoring the scratches and fingerprints on the hardware...see no evil...KWIM?

oh no, I'm getting scared. I purchased a vintage gold kelly at a resale shop in Paris a few years ago and it has brass fixtures that tarnish. I think the bag is from the sixties. hermesgroupie, who seems to know everything about these bags, said that Hermes did use brass before going to gold plated metal. I sure hope so. This bag was not cheap and I do love the idea of a vintage bag that was carried in Paris many years ago.

I hope the bag is authentic. I took into the NYC store for a refurbishing and they did not say it was fake. I was also having two other Kelly's cleaned at the same time and all three were cleaned and returned to me.

I wish I knew more about the brass and the dates Hermes used it.

i also buff my hardware with something soft that i'm wearing like cashmere or cotton. it gives it a quick polish to remove smudgey fingerprint and very shallow hairline scratches.

totes, i remember it being discussed that brass was used as hardware sometimes. i dont know if brass is supposed to tarnish, though?

lady emma, that's interesting. maybe you're experiencing what i hear is called "pitting"? i would ask Claude.

Thanks, Croissant. I will. I need to go at the end of the week to pick up 2 of the 3 gold/browns that are ready, and I'll show him then. It's a G stamp bag, so it's not so old. They're tiny flecks of black, and only on the palladium.

Thanks, Croissant. I will. I need to go at the end of the week to pick up 2 of the 3 gold/browns that are ready, and I'll show him then. It's a G stamp bag, so it's not so old. They're tiny flecks of black, and only on the palladium.

keep up posted!! i know if this were to happen to any of us we'd be annoyed so its good to find out why thats happening.

Lady E - the coating may be wearing away, and the silver underneath is tarnishing. From my understanding, palladium is coated sterling silver? It's coated so it won't tarnish, but it will wear sometimes.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Palladium is a soft silver-white metal that resembles platinum. It is the least dense and has the lowest melting point of the platinum group metals. It is soft and ductile when annealed and greatly increases its strength and hardness when it is cold-worked. Palladium is chemically attacked by sulfuric, nitric and hydrochloric acid in which it dissolves slowly.[1] This metal also does not react with oxygen at normal temperatures (and thus does not tarnish in Earth's atmosphere|air). Palladium heated to 800°C will produce a layer of palladium(II) oxide (PdO). It lightly tarnishes in moist atmosphere containing sulfur.

OK, looks like I was incorrect. Lady E - are you living in a moist atmosphere containing sulphur, by any chance?