Gigi needs rehab, can you help?

Apr 15, 2009
I am asking for much needed advice. I recently purchase a teal Gigi knowing full well how much help she needs. I think I may have "bit off more than I can chew" but I'm going to give this my best shot. The Gigi is my HG of Coach so I badly want to save her.

Here is the link to several photos showing large water stains and much discolouring and/or dirt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COACH-11131-GIGI...Item35b09eaa6b

If this link doesn't work, search item 230596455019

She is enroute now and I expect here very soon.

Can anyone with experience offer some much needed advice?

Wow you got your work cut out for you on this one. Is it me or does it look like it has faded a lot?

If you paid $20 bucks I would have said pull out the lining and give her a bath and take it from there..........maybe start with some apple leather conditioner or leather cleaner - but be sure to do a patch test first to see of the cleaner will lift the color.

Good luck, please keep us updated on how it works out.

Wow you can't say the seller didn't offer pictures lol that's the most pictures of an item I have ever seen in an auction I wish you the best it's pretty faded but there must be a way to dye it,

Wow you can't say the seller didn't offer pictures lol that's the most pictures of an item I have ever seen in an auction.......

LOL was thinking same thing. Wouldn't it be great if they all provided that many pics?

Let's hope your new bag looks worse than it really is because indoor flash pictures always make leather look worse and sometimes pick up on flaws that are practically invisible otherwise. I agree about taking it to a cobbler -- would probably be the best way to go based on the amount of money you invested.

Yes, what an amazing amount of pics! I wasn't sure if it was faded or dirty. You're probably right with faded. I'm thinking I will start with softly and slowly cleaning the water stains on only the bottom with mild soapy water - is what I gather from previos posts here. (I'll pull the lining away first). Then give the whole bag a good conditioning. If all else fails have it re-died. I've had a good leather jacket (not coach) re-died in the past and it turned out great. Wonder what happened to this bag??
I will keep you posted and any other advice - I'd love to hear it!

ah yes I saw this bag and put in a bid or two when it was cheap but chickened out when it got too expensive LOL
love saleareas auctions. Everything is always so detailed and honest in the descriptions. Other than the water stains I don't think the bag looks that bad actually. I don't think the fading would bother me but the water marks would!

Wow you got your work cut out for you on this one. Is it me or does it look like it has faded a lot?

It says in the auction description that the bag is faded. I love Legacy bags and think buying bags to rehab is great, but I would never have spent $200 on a bag that beat up. Yikes!

Good luck OP, and keep us posted. I hope you can make dear Gigi new again! :smile::smile:

It says in the auction description that the bag is faded. I love Legacy bags and think buying bags to rehab is great, but I would never have spent $200 on a bag that beat up. Yikes!

Good luck OP, and keep us posted. I hope you can make dear Gigi new again! :smile::smile:

I'm not at all claiming I got a good deal here??? I'm just looking for help on how to clean water stains and help bring some life back into my all time favorite bag.

If you're looking to do this one yourself, I can offer a few suggestions that will help clean her up. The legacy leather is very forgiving when it comes to cleaning and I have found that if I clean my leather bags like I do my saddles, boots, and other leatherware that I use for riding, that they are easy to keep in good condition.

To clean the leather, I recommend finding a tin of Kiwi Saddle Soap. It's about the size of a hockey puck and is the color green that your bag is, coincidentally. It's much richer and creamier than regular glycerin saddle soap and it has worked wonders when treating dried out leather. Use a clean sponge and warm water. Wet the sponge and work some soap into it from the tin. Then apply it to the bag in a circular motion.

If you're looking to blend in the water stains, work the soap into the middle of the stain less than into the regular areas of the bag, and then just barely clean the edges of the stain. This will help fade the color across the border of the stain so that it's less noticable. This soap will not remove the dye from the leather, but will instead brighten the color and make it richer, especially after it has been conditioned.

As you're working, make sure to change the water when it gets dirty, and rinse your sponge often. After working soap in to a panel on the bag, rinse your sponge and wring it out, then wipe off any lather. You can use a soft towel to wipe the surface of any excess water, but don't "scrub" it dry. Once you've gone over the entire bag, I would suggest turning it upside down over something so that all surfaces of the leather can dry evenly.

Don't be alarmed if the leather looks darker while it's wet, it will lighten as it dries. Once it's pretty dry (I usually wait 45 minutes to an hour), condition it as you normally would. Apple conditioner is fine, or I can also recommend Lexol conditioner (not oil - this will darken the leather).

If you try to mind the edges of the water stain when you clean it again in the future, they will eventually blend in completely, but unfortunately, there is no way to remove a water stain in one go.

This is the type of treatment a cobbler would give your bag and will, in the end, refresh the color, brighten and clean the leather, and leave the bag looking much richer and healthier.

I hope this helps!

If you're looking to do this one yourself, I can offer a few suggestions that will help clean her up. The legacy leather is very forgiving when it comes to cleaning and I have found that if I clean my leather bags like I do my saddles, boots, and other leatherware that I use for riding, that they are easy to keep in good condition.

To clean the leather, I recommend finding a tin of Kiwi Saddle Soap. It's about the size of a hockey puck and is the color green that your bag is, coincidentally. It's much richer and creamier than regular glycerin saddle soap and it has worked wonders when treating dried out leather. Use a clean sponge and warm water. Wet the sponge and work some soap into it from the tin. Then apply it to the bag in a circular motion.

If you're looking to blend in the water stains, work the soap into the middle of the stain less than into the regular areas of the bag, and then just barely clean the edges of the stain. This will help fade the color across the border of the stain so that it's less noticable. This soap will not remove the dye from the leather, but will instead brighten the color and make it richer, especially after it has been conditioned.

As you're working, make sure to change the water when it gets dirty, and rinse your sponge often. After working soap in to a panel on the bag, rinse your sponge and wring it out, then wipe off any lather. You can use a soft towel to wipe the surface of any excess water, but don't "scrub" it dry. Once you've gone over the entire bag, I would suggest turning it upside down over something so that all surfaces of the leather can dry evenly.

Don't be alarmed if the leather looks darker while it's wet, it will lighten as it dries. Once it's pretty dry (I usually wait 45 minutes to an hour), condition it as you normally would. Apple conditioner is fine, or I can also recommend Lexol conditioner (not oil - this will darken the leather).

If you try to mind the edges of the water stain when you clean it again in the future, they will eventually blend in completely, but unfortunately, there is no way to remove a water stain in one go.

This is the type of treatment a cobbler would give your bag and will, in the end, refresh the color, brighten and clean the leather, and leave the bag looking much richer and healthier.

I hope this helps!

Wow, thanks so very much!!

Thanks for all the great information, Coffee&Coach!

Just wanted to mention that I've used Lexol cleaner and I like it a lot. I've never used the Lexol conditioner but I am planning to try it when I run low on Apple.

I agree that most leather oils will darken leather but I have successfully used a product called Leather Therapy Restorer & Conditioner (link below) without problems. It says "will not significantly darken leather" on the label - and it hasn't darkend any of my bags so far. I usually apply it after washing while the bag is still damp buy not dry, and it does help to restore the suppleness of the leather. I get it at a local equestrian shop and they charge plenty of it, but I only use a little at a time.

http://www.leathertherapy.com/categories/Equestrian-Products