Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

^ Yay! I just read about this last night. There's a lot of speculation that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be The Riddler, but there are already 2 villains so I think a third one would bog down the film.

I love JGL and he will be fabulous in this movie! :nuts:

'The Dark Knight Rises' Script Is 'Phenomenal,' Says DP Wally Pfister; Will Shoot As Much As Possible In IMAX

Christopher Nolan's Director of Photography Wally Pfister has been quoting saying the script for The Dark Knight Rises is "phenomenal." We'll call it The Most Obvious Public Statement of All Time. What else could he say? That the script was crap? Actually, that would have been much bigger news. Still, we’re each devouring every tidbit about this movie in such a rabid way, simply knowing the script is out there is exciting by itself.

Pfister also commented on how much of the film they plan to shoot in IMAX, an issue that’s been up for debate for a while. Read Pfister's exact quotes and Nolan’s instructions to him – which included rewatching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in IMAX – after the jump.

Pfister was on the Kevin and Josh Movie Show (with a nod to First Showing for the heads up) and said the following when asked how Nolan could top The Dark Knight with The Dark Knight Rises.

Plain and simple — he’s done it. It’s a phenomenal script. He’s still in the process of cutting it back because it’s a very long script right now, but it’s really phenomenal. And he actually had me go back and wanted me to watch, in IMAX, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight again. When I watched those I had read the script for The Dark Knight Rises and was like, ‘Dude, it is a perfect trilogy.’ I think that was his intent, to work off those two pictures — and they are very different pictures. And it’s funny, we all had different opinions about which picture we like better.

Of course, you’ve got to take that with a grain of salt as the guy is going to be shooting the movie and doesn’t want to piss off his meal ticket. But adding those statements to the news of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy all joining the cast and The Dark Knight Rises is getting sicker by the minute.

Pfister also commented on the long rumored controversy, mostly started by him, about shooting the film in IMAX.

Our goal is to shoot as much in IMAX as we can. We’re going to put in on the screen, and put it on the screen big. And I really encourage everyone to see it in IMAX if they can because we’re really going for it this time. In terms of the action, we are all scratching our heads right now trying to figure out how we’re going to do it; how we’re going to do it in the amount of time we’re going to do it in. The opening scene of the movie will blow your mind

Do you trust Pfister’s opinion or do you not care? Does it just plain get you excited to hear him say something like that no matter what? Also, how much of the film do you think will end up in IMAX?

Source

How exciting! :nuts:

Rumor: A Robin To Appear in 'The Dark Knight Rises'

Christopher Nolan has been quoted saying Batman’s sidekick Robin couldn’t fit into his trilogy of films. Christian Bale said he would “refuse to go to work” if the character appeared in one of the movies. But a report from a Michigan NBC affiliate might now suggest otherwise. According to reports, location scouts for The Dark Knight Rises were in Grand Ledge, MI recently and were looking at a water treatment plant to possibly be used as “a hideout for Batman’s sidekick Robin.” Are the location scouts being misquoted? Could this just be a red herring? Or are they possibly referring to another Robin? Read all the possibilities and quotes after the jump.

First of all, thanks to Ain’t It Cool News for coming across the report from WILX.com in Michigan. Here’s what the original report said.

According to Eaton County and Grand Ledge officials who didn’t want to be identified due to confidentiality agreements, production crews from “The Dark Knight Rises” scouted locations in Grand Ledge’s Fitzgerald Park last week.

They looked at the Ledges as well as a water treatment plant located inside the park. Sources say the area is being considered as a hideout for Batman sidekick Robin.

Now, let’s put that statement into movie geek context. First of all, before even Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan was quoted on SuperHero Hype saying the following:

This is a young Batman, so Robin’s a few films….not for a few pictures anyway. Dick Grayson’s still in a crib somewhere. I seriously doubt I will even be involved when Robin’s in the franchise.

That’s not a flat out denial, and he said it in 2005, but it seems pretty anti-Robin. Then, around the time of The Dark Knight, star Christian Bale had this to say about the character:

If Robin crops up in one of the new Batman films, I’ll be chaining myself up somewhere and refusing to go to work.

Both of those quotes, however, were said way before any script was written for The Dark Knight Rises and with the addition of Joseph Gordon-Levitt as an age appropriate actor, Robin being in the film certainly seems slightly plausible, even if we already have two brand new characters: Selina Kyle played by Anne Hathaway and Bane played by Tom Hardy.

On the flip side, would a location scout let such a secretive piece of information slip out? Also, are the Michigan officials conveying what was said to them accurately?

The Daily Blam was able to find a few other quotes from the Michigan officials involved in the location scout. They found a quote in the Lansing State Journal that corroborated that the location would be used as “Robin’s Cave” and even reached out to the reporter who wrote the original WILX story:

I heard from three sources, the only one who would go on camera being state Sen. Rick Jones. All three mentioned the water treatment facility being considered for “Robin’s Cave” specifically. I’m not as up on my Batman lore as others but I wasn’t aware that Robin got a cave. As this was just a scouting mission, I don’t have any details on actors or even confirmation as to what role he’ll play. I just know what my 3 sources told me. Granted the production team scouting could’ve given them “Robin’s Cave” as a red herring.

Other possibilities are that maybe there’s an actor named “Robin” who has been cast or they are using the word “Robin” because it’s a bird associated with Batman and a great way to make people think one thing when they mean another.

Considering all of these factors, I’m going to stick with the most important piece of evidence: Nolan and Bale’s quotes. All of the other sources might be telling the truth but none of them have read the script. Nolan and Bale have and even though those quotes were years ago, they had a better idea where the franchise was going then than a few Michigan senators do today.

Still, anything is possible in the world of Batman rumors, even if we usually get them all wrong.

Looking at all the evidence, what do you think? Is Batman’s sidekick Robin in the film or is this all just a bit of misinformation?

Source

I was reading about this on IMDB just now and I'm not sure what to think. If anyone could make Robin work it'd be Christopher Nolan but we'll see...

^ Yay! I just read about this last night. There's a lot of speculation that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be The Riddler, but there are already 2 villains so I think a third one would bog down the film.

I love JGL and he will be fabulous in this movie! :nuts:
It may get sticky but thats what some people felt about DK....some felt there were too many villains...

Plus Nolan had to shove and re route DKR after Heath's passing...there is still speculation that there maybe a cameo..

This I dunno about....I think if Robin does make an appearance it wont be as ROBIN but just regular....just like Batgirl made and appearance previously...

I just cant see Bale running side by side with someone LOL
Rumor: A Robin To Appear in 'The Dark Knight Rises'

Christopher Nolan has been quoted saying Batman’s sidekick Robin couldn’t fit into his trilogy of films. Christian Bale said he would “refuse to go to work” if the character appeared in one of the movies. But a report from a Michigan NBC affiliate might now suggest otherwise. According to reports, location scouts for The Dark Knight Rises were in Grand Ledge, MI recently and were looking at a water treatment plant to possibly be used as “a hideout for Batman’s sidekick Robin.” Are the location scouts being misquoted? Could this just be a red herring? Or are they possibly referring to another Robin? Read all the possibilities and quotes after the jump.

First of all, thanks to Ain’t It Cool News for coming across the report from WILX.com in Michigan. Here’s what the original report said.

According to Eaton County and Grand Ledge officials who didn’t want to be identified due to confidentiality agreements, production crews from “The Dark Knight Rises” scouted locations in Grand Ledge’s Fitzgerald Park last week.

They looked at the Ledges as well as a water treatment plant located inside the park. Sources say the area is being considered as a hideout for Batman sidekick Robin.

Now, let’s put that statement into movie geek context. First of all, before even Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan was quoted on SuperHero Hype saying the following:

This is a young Batman, so Robin’s a few films….not for a few pictures anyway. Dick Grayson’s still in a crib somewhere. I seriously doubt I will even be involved when Robin’s in the franchise.

That’s not a flat out denial, and he said it in 2005, but it seems pretty anti-Robin. Then, around the time of The Dark Knight, star Christian Bale had this to say about the character:

If Robin crops up in one of the new Batman films, I’ll be chaining myself up somewhere and refusing to go to work.

Both of those quotes, however, were said way before any script was written for The Dark Knight Rises and with the addition of Joseph Gordon-Levitt as an age appropriate actor, Robin being in the film certainly seems slightly plausible, even if we already have two brand new characters: Selina Kyle played by Anne Hathaway and Bane played by Tom Hardy.

On the flip side, would a location scout let such a secretive piece of information slip out? Also, are the Michigan officials conveying what was said to them accurately?

The Daily Blam was able to find a few other quotes from the Michigan officials involved in the location scout. They found a quote in the Lansing State Journal that corroborated that the location would be used as “Robin’s Cave” and even reached out to the reporter who wrote the original WILX story:

I heard from three sources, the only one who would go on camera being state Sen. Rick Jones. All three mentioned the water treatment facility being considered for “Robin’s Cave” specifically. I’m not as up on my Batman lore as others but I wasn’t aware that Robin got a cave. As this was just a scouting mission, I don’t have any details on actors or even confirmation as to what role he’ll play. I just know what my 3 sources told me. Granted the production team scouting could’ve given them “Robin’s Cave” as a red herring.

Other possibilities are that maybe there’s an actor named “Robin” who has been cast or they are using the word “Robin” because it’s a bird associated with Batman and a great way to make people think one thing when they mean another.

Considering all of these factors, I’m going to stick with the most important piece of evidence: Nolan and Bale’s quotes. All of the other sources might be telling the truth but none of them have read the script. Nolan and Bale have and even though those quotes were years ago, they had a better idea where the franchise was going then than a few Michigan senators do today.

Still, anything is possible in the world of Batman rumors, even if we usually get them all wrong.

Looking at all the evidence, what do you think? Is Batman’s sidekick Robin in the film or is this all just a bit of misinformation?

Source

I was reading about this on IMDB just now and I'm not sure what to think. If anyone could make Robin work it'd be Christopher Nolan but we'll see...

http://www.popeater.com/2011/03/21/joseph-gordon-levitt-alberto-falcone/

Gordon Levitt's character Revealed:

Alberto Falcone

When news broke last month that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would likely join Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Knight Rises,' comic geeks and Internet movie bloggers dashed off to their own personal Batcave to try to figure out just who the actor might play.

Speculation was rampant and covered a variety of characters from Batman's infamous rogue's gallery, including The Riddler and Deadshot. Those two bits of speculation didn't pan out, but one other popular choice appears to be correct.

Variety says JGL is set to play Alberto Falcone, better known as "The Holiday Killer."

If you're scratching your head wondering, "Who the hell is Alberto Falcone?" you're probably not a big comic fan. Allow us to get you up to speed.

Alberto is the son of mafia kingpin Carmine Falcone (played by Tom Wilkinson in 'Batman Begins'). Unlike his siblings, Alberto wasn't allowed to become involved in the family's business -- so he went to Harvard and Oxford instead. But the crime gene couldn't stay buried forever, and when some of Gotham's most notorious criminals were suddenly getting murdered in the graphic novel 'The Long Halloween,' it's Alberto -- dubbed The Holiday Killer -- who's behind the crimes. He eventually winds up in Arkham Asylum. He reappeared in the 'Dark Victory' story arc.

As Variety points out, including a character like The Holiday Killer makes a lot of sense given Nolan's intentions to keep his Gotham City grounded in reality. While it would have been fascinating to see the filmmaker's take on The Riddler, this role suits Gordon-Levitt nicely. He even bears a bit of a resemblance to Alberto Falcone.

Nolan hasn't given us any indication as to what might happen in the script, which will most likely be his final 'Batman' outing, but we do know that Gordon-Levitt will join fellow 'Inception' thespian Tom Hardy (set to play Bane) and Anne Hathaway (Selina Kyle/Catwoman). Batman looks like he could have his hands full this time out. In the hands of a lesser director, we might worry that Nolan was adding too many villains to the mix, but given his track record with the previous 'Batman' films, we're trusting him completely on this one.

Turns out that isn't the only casting buzz surrounding the project, either. Apparently Juno Temple, fresh off her critically acclaimed performance in Elgin James' 'Little Birds,' is also being considered for a part. No details on who the young starlet might play, but the description being tossed around is "a street-smart Gotham girl." Sounds like a smaller supporting role, but Nolan may surprise us.

Warner Bros., as is standard procedure, has refused to respond to the rumors.

Heres more info:

What Do We Need to Know About Alberto Falcone, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Character in 'The Dark Knight Rises?'
Late Friday night, Warner Bros. confirmed what had been rumored for months: that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would become the second "Inception" star to appear in Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises." What we didn't know then, and what broke over the weekend, is who Gordon-Levitt is playing: According to Variety, he's going to be Alberto Falcone, the son of crime lord Carmine Falcone, portrayed in "Batman Begins" by Tom Wilkinson.
Levitt's casting gives the following confirmed actors and characters:
*** Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman.
*** Michael Caine as Alfred.
*** Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon.
*** Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox.
*** Tom Hardy as Bane.
*** Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman.
*** Juno Temple as "street-smart Gotham gal."
*** Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Alberto Falcone.
There are still rumors out there about Marion Cotilliard, and you can probably count on Cillian Murphy having a cameo as Scarecrow again, because why not?
That's a lot of characters, and a lot of bad guys. We've already told you about Catwoman and Bane, but who, exactly, is Alberto Falcone?
Falcone is not a common character in the Batman DC Universe; according to the DC Wiki, he only appears in two sets of comics. But one of those -- and the one Nolan is likely drawing from -- is one called "The Long Halloween."
This is one of the more famous Batman comics, one that Nolan cites as one of his favorites and the one he (sort of) borrowed the origin story for Harvey Dent in "The Dark Knight." It's not the exact same origin story, so if you read "The Long Halloween" before seeing "The Dark Knight," you wouldn't have had the story ruined for you ... but it's close enough that we feel obliged to give a big SPOILER WARNING before we tell you Alberto Falcone's storylne in that comic.
OK, we good? So, here's Alberto Falcone's story:
During an otherwise peaceful time in Gotham, someone is murdering criminals. More specifically, members of the Carmine crime family. Carmine -- who was last seen at the end of "Batman Begins" jabbering insanely in his cell after being attacked by Scarecrow -- employs all kinds of maniacs to find out the identity of this killer, who goes by the name "Holiday." But Holiday kills them all, including Carmine's sister and, seemingly, Alberto Falcone, his son.
As it turns out, though, Holiday was Alberto all along; he's a Harvard-educated reverse-black-sheep of the Falcone family who committed the murders to break away from his demanding father. Alberto is a fancy-pants psychotic academic who, like so many fictional characters before him (including Bruce Wayne), is just trying to live up to his father's legacy.
Obviously, Nolan is going to take his own liberties with the character and the story, but that's who Alberto Falcone is, in the comics. That's all anyone knows, at this point.

Source: http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/9...levitts-character-in-the-dark-knight-rises?nc

JGL was in Inception and he was really good in that. It sounds really interesting, I can't wait.