Shopping Withdrawal! Symptoms....

gingerfarm

O.G.
Apr 20, 2006
I have been feeling very 'blah' lately, and I think know what it is....The following are my symptoms -

-Not being able to concentrate on anything at work
-Browsing the following website continuously - purseforum, neimanmarcus.com, saks.com, nordstrom.com, eluxury.com, bluefly.com, even overstock.com.... (it's so hard to resist with all the SALES!!!)
- Almost knocked down my co-worker when he took away a catalog I was looking at :sweatdrop:
-Telling your fiance that you feel horrible, but nothing really happened to make you feel horrible
-Constantly checking to see what kind of deals I can get with my visa card
-Constant urge to take out my credit card
-Contstantly checking my bank account to see if I can spare any money, ANY, to buy something.

Conclusion, I have Shopping Withdrawal. I realized that the last time I bought something was really back in 12/27...and it was not even something for myself. For the past 3 weeks, I have been telling myself that I can't spend! I need to recover from the big hole that holiday shopping put in my account. For anyone who know me, 3 days is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time for me not to shop. No cure for me right now...

Anyone else have these Shopping Withdrawal symptoms? can you share yours and how you cured it? ...I know...there's one obvious cure, go shop! but I really shouldn't spend. haha, please help me feel better if anyone else is in the same boat!

I have the same thing i love to spend $$$$! I don't care if it is my $ or someone else's either. I get to apoint where I HAVE got to go shopping:nuts: . The internet has helped a little...as well. I can paroove the sites without leaving my house!

Welcome to the club, Gingerfarm! I promised myself that I would be GOOD and not buy anything until I get my raise. So what do I do? I go to the store and try on purses and clothes, then pry myself away from the racks. It's torture, but I need to practice self control.

Haha I have it right now. I know I'm going shopping next week for my dad's bday presents (for one, I'm getting him an LV passport holder), but I'm also going tomorrow too. Hehe.

It must be contageous.

It's like when you start a diet and limit yourself to x-food. You immediately start craving everything that isn't on the ok list!!

LOL, I asked DH if he could block Saks and NM web sites so I couldn't access them anymore!!! Only when he reached to take my laptop I nearly ripped his arms off :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

I totally understand your dilema.....my symptoms get so bad it's like a food craving that I cannot satisfy with any substitute. I "shop" online without buying when I do not have any $ & sometimes that helps cool the fire.

Seriously!!! I tell people to stop me and I get mad at them if they really tried! And the craving isn't satisfied until you actually buy some physical object, it's bad.

My DH edges me on..."go, you should go look at these nice things, you can learn self control like that." YEA RIGHT!!! He has NO idea how hard it is to see a pretty purse or a piece of clothing that fits perfect, but then not being able to buy it. it is TORTURE. self control my butt....

:P sorry for the rant....he just doesn't understand how shopping is a really important part of our lifes, and self control and shopping just can't go together. I'm sure you ladies understand this!

Hate to admit I've got the "shopping sickness" also - There is practically nothing that offers an instant "feel better" mood than a trip to the mall. Why is it that buying something always does the trick? My life is pretty full - I don't get it.

I was a recovering shopoholic when hubby and I were very poor about 2-3 years ago. I just couldn't shop because we had no money. Now things have changed and I am going to have to hold myself back! I go to all the websites you mentioned almost daily. We hear you!

Whew........good to know I'm not alone! :drinkup:

I guess there really IS retail therepy...never understood that before. but now it does seem like buying seriously releases endorphines in the brain. gosh, that makes me feel materialistic...haha.

I totally understand your dilema.....my symptoms get so bad it's like a food craving that I cannot satisfy with any substitute. I "shop" online without buying when I do not have any $ & sometimes that helps cool the fire.

I thought I was the only one that did this. It lasted for a while, then...the SALES started.
:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

I am in the same boat! I tell myself that I am not buying ANYTHING...and for the first 24 hours...no problem! Day 2, and I start to think about things that I have seen previously and all of a sudden cannot live without! By day 3, I am convinced that my wardrobe cannot exist without the aforementioned item that I had not thought about for ages, until I decided I wasn't buying anything! Day 4....figuring out how to get the $$$ to buy item, that I absolutely must have. Day 5....go check it out again and confirm it is just as fabulous as I thought it was...then put it on hold. Day 6....give in...buy item, and feel happy!! Day 7...there was rest!!!