Large dogs in department stores

habanerita

O.G.
May 1, 2006
I was at NM in Merrick Place last night going through the Gift Gallery when a very, very large, unleashed gorgeous Golden Retriever came running to me and greeted me with great love.......his owner, a very attractive young woman was busy looking at the sale items. This is the first time I see an unleashed large dog in a department store., is this okay?

I believe that it is absolutely not okay to bring dogs or any other kinds of animals into stores, unless they are a dog that helps handicapped people. I find it particularly disgusting when owners bring their pets into the stores, the pet pees / poops on the floor and the owner makes no effort to clean it up.

During NM's last call sale a few days ago, I saw to SA's in the Merrick Plaza 2nd floor ladies clothing section frantically calling housekeeping because there was dog poop all over a section of the sale rack..........this was not okay!

I down here in Florida and I have yet to see a dog in a store. Not that I would mind, if it was on a leash, but it would be unusual sight. At least for this southern gal. There are outdoor restaurants that welcome dogs but not stores that I know of.

Well, just go to Bal Harbour or MErrick, I also love dogs and have had them since a child but, there are times when I don't want to step in dog poop nor be trying to get around a large dog while walking around very expensive art glass pieces.

In Germany it's normal to take your dog into stores and restaurants. But I would never let mine (who's small) walk without a leash. Most of the time I carry him anyway. And he would never ever poop or pee in a store. That would be so disgusting.

I would worry that the dog would run outside. With automatic doors it may be hard to stop the dog. This happened to a man at petsmart once when the dog wiggled out of his collar. Luckliy the staff was quick to block the sensor on the door.

No, I don't think it's OK.. Think about the people who have allergies or a fear of dogs. My kids are terrified of large dogs no matter how nice they are. One should be able to go out for a day of shopping & not have to worry about stepping in dog poo, sneezing or having a screaming child because of it. What if a child did something that startled a dog & got bit? If I was going to Petsmart or a similar pet store, I would expect to see animals in the store but not NM, Macy's, etc...

Honestly, WHY would you need to bring your Golden Retreiver shopping anyway? I just think it infringes on the rights of others who might not be such dog lovers. Just my 2 cents..

No, I don't think it's OK.. Think about the people who have allergies or a fear of dogs. My kids are terrified of large dogs no matter how nice they are. One should be able to go out for a day of shopping & not have to worry about stepping in dog poo, sneezing or having a screaming child because of it. What if a child did something that startled a dog & got bit? If I was going to Petsmart or a similar pet store, I would expect to see animals in the store but not NM, Macy's, etc...

Honestly, WHY would you need to bring your Golden Retreiver shopping anyway? I just think it infringes on the rights of others who might not be such dog lovers. Just my 2 cents..

I feel the same way about children. :lol: I'm kidding...

I wouldn't care personally..I love dogs. But it should be on a leash.

ITA!!

It is equally disturbing to me when parents let their children run up to me, with sticky/dirty/etc hands outstretched...

Or strollers that take up the whole aisle while shopping...etc etc

I feel that if you bring a child or pet anywhere, it is your responsibility to make sure that that child/pet does not impede or bother anyone else.