Buyer wants me to declare lower value - plz advise

vagabag

O.G.
Dec 31, 2006
There's a potential buyer who has good feedback (80 positives, no negs) and has bought a number of bags on ebay (mostly Coach). She is interested in one of my auctions and wants me to declare the bag at a low value if she wins. She lives in Malaysia and says that she needs to pay a high tax rate if I declare a higher value. I am inclined to say that I've got to declare the value that it sells for but would love to hear a second opinion. She told me that her previous sellers were willing to declare lower but I don't feel right about it. Experts - advice, please. Thanks!

i'd do it if we are under the mutual understanding that if it gets lost...she'd be the one to get that lower value insuance/coverage..whatever you call it, since she's the one who ask for it. and i would only do it if is a little off b/c that what i would ask...like if it's 1200..i might say 1000 or 900...there should be a bracket price. i know US does.

it's against the law to lie on a Customs form. Not only that, but you can only insure the bag for what you declare. So regardless of what she says, if she files a claim that it never arrives, you will possibly lose the bag, and if you are able to make an insurance claim, you won't get all your money back, yet paypal will make you give the buyer's money back in full.

honestly, i don't ship international because i don't want any hassles. and i have a real problem with people asking someone to lie on a government form so they can evade duty tax. if they don't like the duty rates, they should complain to their government. you get nothing out of lying for her. you have a lot to lose if it goes south.

She told me that her previous sellers were willing to declare lower but I don't feel right about it. Experts - advice, please. Thanks!

It is done... a lot. The chances of legal repercussions are slim to nil. However, some consider it morally wrong. And there are the insurance issues - even if the buyer agrees to absorb the loss if the shipment goes missing, the seller has no recourse with either Paypal on an INR claim or a credit card company on a chargeback.

If you don't feel right about it, don't do it.

Last edited:
I just had the exact same request and refused. With my luck I'd be in that small percentage of people who would get caught, or the bag would get lost, or both. If that chance is worth it to you, by all means, but I wouldn't risk it.

I have never given a thought as to the illegality of it- but I DO care about my financial stake in a transaction. As was previously stated you can only insure for the amount you declare. So if anything bad happens YOU are the one who is left flapping in the breeze.

It is up to the individual seller how comfortable they are taking that chance.

Me, I only gamble on the ponies.

I'd be wary of this and I will tell you for why.

I had an Indonesian bidder ask the same thing in June (after purchase). I refused and said they could have an immediate refund or I would ship with the full declared value. They wanted the items shipped, obviously hoping they wouldn't be stung for customs. In fact, they got quite a large customs bill. They refused to take delivery of the package; in fact, to-date the parcel is still in Indonesia customs. They did a 'transaction not authorised' chargeback with their card provider and now have a full refund of around 1800 USD. I still have no items back. Indonesian customs may or may not send them back to me and, if they do, I am responsible for return shipping costs so I will be out of pocket on two way shipping costs. Assuming I get the parcel back otherwise I am out the 1800 too.

I will now, never, ship to Asia again. UK, USA, Canada, Europe and Australia only for me.

So I think the question is the same both ways: if you under-declare and the parcel gets lost, are you happy to just write the money off? If you fully declare and the buyer refuses to accept delivery, are you happy to write the money off?

Or just apologise and block the bidder to be on the safe side. I know it's harsh but everything has shifted way too much in the buyer's favour these days and you've got to look out for yourself as a seller.

well, vernis lover, I am Indonesian and am silent reader of this forum for long time but this case makes me wanna write.. yes exactly our customs is sooo nuts thats why we usually asked seller to lower the value, (we have to pay if the parcel worth $50 or higher, legally or illegally, and usually there is no exact calculation, huge amount compare to the parcel value itself), even its only a gift from relatives..