Pony Hair Balenciagas... are they really?

Oh, those poor ponies!

Just kidding...I was never sure either until Design Within Reach opened on my block and I went in to look around. A mother was looking at a pony chaise and her young daughter FREAKED OUT until the salesperson explained. I was sorry the child was traumatized, but we all got to learn that pony isn't really pony at all!

Oh, those poor ponies!

Just kidding...I was never sure either until Design Within Reach opened on my block and I went in to look around. A mother was looking at a pony chaise and her young daughter FREAKED OUT until the salesperson explained. I was sorry the child was traumatized, but we all got to learn that pony isn't really pony at all!

Not sure why using cow hide is any different from using pony hide? Someone should explain THAT to the child. Is using pony somehow worse because a pony is cuter than a cow? Either one embraces killing of all animals or not at all. I, for one, love leather and my steak, and rabbit stew, even...

the pony hair does NOT prickle at all! it is sooooo smooth...sometimes I find myself stroking it because it feels sooo nice, like silk. I wasn't fond of pony hair until I got a city, and now...mmmmm obsessed. It also looks a little dressier and special which I like.

Not sure why using cow hide is any different from using pony hide? Someone should explain THAT to the child. Is using pony somehow worse because a pony is cuter than a cow? Either one embraces killing of all animals or not at all. I, for one, love leather and my steak, and rabbit stew, even...

I always thought the difference was because here in the US we don't eat horses, so they can be romanticized as companions. And therefore skinning them for furniture seems rather barbaric. Since we eat cows, we have to think of them as a disposable resource, and using the leather simply makes uses of the entire animal.

Everyone draws his or her own line. My rule of thumb is "if I eat it, I can wear it." And conversely, if I don't eat it, I can't wear it. Happily, I have injested my fair share of goat, so I can carry my b bags without compromising my ethics!

highglossfinish "I always thought the difference was because here in the US we don't eat horses, so they can be romanticized as companions. And therefore skinning them for furniture seems rather barbaric. Since we eat cows, we have to think of them as a disposable resource, and using the leather simply makes uses of the entire animal."

You hit the nail on the head IMO...