How to clean Ugg boots

xikry5talix

kry5tal...get it?!:]
O.G.
Jan 3, 2006
I found this while I was finding a way to get the smell of smoke (my BFs dryer exploded!) out of clothes and I thought I'd pass it along. Enjoy! :P

Ugg boots are so cozy and warm, you may never want to take them off. However, the constant wearing will lead to dirt, grime and odors. You can use specialized Ugg products to clean Ugg boots, or simply utilize household products as explained below.
Instructions

• STEP 1: Use cold water to lightly moisten the outside of the boots only. Do not submerge them in water.
  • STEP 2: Dilute a cleaner appropriate for leather to form a solution of one part cleaner and one part water.
  • STEP 3: Apply solution to a wet sponge and gently clean boots' outer surface. Rinse with clean sponge dipped in cold water.
  • STEP 4: Stuff boots with paper towels or newspaper to hold shape and dry out of direct sunlight or direct heat. Direct sunlight or heat will cause shrinkage.
  • STEP 5: Brush boots with a suede brush or lint-free towel to restore the nap.
  • STEP 6: Use a mixture of 2 tsp. baking soda and 2 tsp. corn flour to deodorize and soften the inside of the boots. If you wish, you can add a few drops of an essential oil to create a sweet scent. Shake the mixture into the boots and let it stand overnight. Shake the excess out the next day.
Overall Tips & Warnings

Cleaning and protection products available from Ugg include Ugg Sheepskin Cleaner and Conditioner.
Apply a water and stain-resistant coating to the boots to minimize stains and dirt, such as Ugg Sheepskin Water and Stain Repellent.
You can buy replacement insoles for Uggs - some of them washable - so if your boots have an odor problem consider replacing or washing the insoles.
Sometimes the boots will shrink slightly after washing. This is normal and you can expect them to stretch back out when you wear them.
Never put Ugg boots in the washing machine or dryer.
Most Ugg boots are intended for indoor wear. Keep away from extreme elements, such as rain and snow, to keep your boots in tip-top shape.

Most Ugg boots are intended for indoor wear. Keep away from extreme elements, such as rain and snow, to keep your boots in tip-top shape.

Really? I thought they were designed for surfers, coming back from the beach? :shrugs:

I agree that it's best to not wear them in heavy rain, or snow, though. :yes:

Great cleaning tips, thanks for posting! :biggrin:

I just got a splash of bacon grease while cooking this morning. I tried to rub off the stain immediately with dawn dish soap and even used some Shout. I can see that the water is drying up but underneath it the grease stain seems to be there. I have not sprayed a protectant spray. Does anyone else know what I can do to remove this stain. Please Help :crybaby:

I just got a splash of bacon grease while cooking this morning. I tried to rub off the stain immediately with dawn dish soap and even used some Shout. I can see that the water is drying up but underneath it the grease stain seems to be there. I have not sprayed a protectant spray. Does anyone else know what I can do to remove this stain. Please Help :crybaby:

I know this is old, but I was doing a search because I had the same question about a grease stain on Uggs .... anyone have any cleaning suggestions???

Hi, first post, but I think I can answer that.

Try corn starch, apply a little bit to cover the stain, pat it down or brush in with an old tooth brush lightly, then apply a dab more and let it sit for a few hours. Brush off and check the stain, repeat corn starch process until the stain is gone or less noticeable.

Baby Powder also works, but I have better results with plain corn starch.

It may take a day or two to pull all the grease out, but it generally works. I've dropped a buttered piece of bread on my boot, an onion off a pizza and candle wax. The candle wax never 100% came off, but it's about 80% gone. I actually keep a little baggie of corn starch at my desk at work and have one in the bathroom at home, for just such emergencies. It's saved my boots.

I know this is an old thread, but I just got my light grey Uggs out of my closet, and I find dirt stains on one of them. Does anyone know if taking it to a dry cleaner who works on suede will help? I tried the cleaning the spots with a toothbrush and woolite as per internet instructions, but the stains are still there. I guess I can still wear them around the house, but it bugs me no end that one boot looks pristine, and the other has spots. All help is greatly appreciated.

I know this is an old thread, but I just got my light grey Uggs out of my closet, and I find dirt stains on one of them. Does anyone know if taking it to a dry cleaner who works on suede will help? I tried the cleaning the spots with a toothbrush and woolite as per internet instructions, but the stains are still there. I guess I can still wear them around the house, but it bugs me no end that one boot looks pristine, and the other has spots. All help is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried cleaning with a mixture of water and vinegar (of course, the light coloured version)? I found it cleans suede well.
Start off brushing the shoes.
Use a tablespoon of vinegar in about a cup of warm water, then use a soft cloth and wipe it all over the shoes.
For tough stains, try using a little more vinegar.

I have a pair of Uggs that's a real workhorse, bought them 3-4 years ago, and every winter they deal with the snow and slush fine... Never had to waterproof them either, but they're the kind with a thicker sole and a side zipper,not even sure if they're being made anymore. They're chocolate brown..