$4k Chanel bag sold - BUYER CLAIMS EMPTY BOX

Hi ladies,

I sold a $4k BNWT Chanel bag to an eBay buyer over the 4th of July weekend and shipped it out yesterday afternoon, Monday 7/6 (3:08 pm per my receipt). Buyer and I are both in NY. The package was successfully delivered by USPS and & signed for today, Tuesday 7/7 (USPS online signature confirmation shows the recipient signature, at 12:49 pm) -- i.e. less than 24 hours after package was accepted at the post office.

I still have the USPS mailing receipt in front of me showing the package weighed 3 lb. 14.20 oz.

This evening at 6:34 pm I get the following email from the buyer which just shocks me to my bones:

Hey,

I just came home from work to find your package
waiting for me. I opened it up and the only thing
inside is some tissue paper and the purse box. I
really do not know what to think here. There is no
purse, no dustbag, nothing besides the tissue
paper and box. After taking the purse box out of
the box you shipped in I saw that the tape along
the bottom is slashed. One side of the bottom is
completely open while the other is still taped
shut. There is also a gash on the front of the
box.

I tried to call my local PO but of course they are
closed. I have never been in this situation and
honestly I am trying to remain calm but am really
freaking out. This is a lot of money here. Should
we open up an insurance claim? I have no idea what
to do. Please let me know your thoughts on this
situation and what you think we can do to take the
next step.

My mind is just spinning right now and I wonder if this is a $4k scam unfolding before eyes.....in this economy, a $4k scam is beyond what I can take. I've been selling on eBay for 5+ years (Gold PowerSeller, perfect feedback) and most of my sales are very high-value items and NEVER have I encountered this type of a scenario. This is literally a seller's worst nightmare coming true.

Especially suspicious is the fact that the package hasn't even left my possession for over 24 hours......what are the chances of a USPS internal/postal worker theft taking place during this brief period of time? The package was nearly 4 lbs. per my post office receipt, yet the buyer is claiming an empty box with tissue paper? If the box arrived with the tape all slashed open and "one side of the bottom is completely open" why the hell would they sign for it?

I am just beyond incensed right now......thankfully the buyer did not pay by PayPal so I guess they can't pull an immediate INR/SNAD/those types of disputes to freeze my funds.

Any one dealt with this type of scenario before? If it's indeed a situation of USPS internal tampering/postal worker theft, isn't it a federal crime? How does one approach the post office about this? I've used my local post office for years (shipping thousand-dollar packages) and they know me and my family and everyone there has been extremely nice and helpful.....I just can't fathom someone there tampering with a package I'm sending out. Really don't know what to think of right now.

why didn't you do a signature confirmation?

best of luck OP, i do hope it gets resolved as un-messy, as possible.

i hate in situations like this where neither side seems at fault,

well that thread was started on the 30th

OP is saying the purchase happened over the 4th. it might just be a coincidence.

I wasn't saying that this situation has anything to do with the other. What I am saying is that it's coincidental that two Chanel bags went missing from their packages - just the bag, not the box or papers. I think it's really odd.

It sounds like she is saying that her SO said he signed for it using HIS name, but that she looked it up and it was her name and not his handwriting?

I wasn't saying that this situation has anything to do with the other. What I am saying is that it's coincidental that two Chanel bags went missing from their packages - just the bag, not the box or papers. I think it's really odd.
And in both the situation there buyer lived in the same state.
The other thread the OP lives in FL and so is the buyer and this OP lives in NY as the buyer.

It sounds like she is saying that her SO said he signed for it using HIS name, but that she looked it up and it was her name and not his handwriting?

That has me scratching my head, as well. If the buyer is being honest and open about the situation and is not trying to pull a fast one on the seller, why would she lie? There would be no reason. No accusations here, it just doesn't add up...

And in both the situation there buyer lived in the same state.
The other thread the OP lives in FL and so is the buyer and this OP lives in NY as the buyer.

Very curious - I hadn't noticed!

"I did not sign for the package. I work M-F from 9-
5 sometimes 9-6 and when the package was delivered
I was at work. I do not know why the computer says
XXXXX [edited out recipient's name for privacy reasons] but I can assure I did not sign for the
package. My SO signed as he works in the evening.
I called him to ask if he had signed my name once
I read your message and as I suspected he did not
sign my name, he signed his own. I had the
signature emailed to me and while it is not easy
to make out the signature, it is not mine."

Well, it ought to be easy enough to contact the PO where the buyer lives and have the supervisor ask the carrier if they remembered who signed for it. If you mention possible postal fraud especially for that amount of $$$$ I am sure they will be more than happy to get right on it!

How did she pay?

Google checkout.

"I did not sign for the package. I work M-F from 9-
5 sometimes 9-6 and when the package was delivered
I was at work. I do not know why the computer says
XXXXX [edited out recipient's name for privacy reasons] but I can assure I did not sign for the
package. My SO signed as he works in the evening.
I called him to ask if he had signed my name once
I read your message and as I suspected he did not
sign my name, he signed his own. I had the
signature emailed to me and while it is not easy
to make out the signature, it is not mine."

Well, it ought to be easy enough to contact the PO where the buyer lives and have the supervisor ask the carrier if they remembered who signed for it. If you mention possible postal fraud especially for that amount of $$$$ I am sure they will be more than happy to get right on it!

Agree here!!!

Was the bag insured?

You need to ask the buyer to take the packaging and all and go to her PO ASAP. She needs to file a complaint with the USPS if her package has been pilfered. $4k is a lot of money so there will be an investigation and things. I am assuming her story checks out. Then you will need to file for insurance on your end.

The signature thing is possible if her mailman just got lazy and signed her name for her then abandoned her package. It is up to the USPS to investigate it all, however.

p-WA