How NOT to handle a dispute...

primeraclase

Dec 29, 2006
Pay heed.. here's an example of what not to do from one who knows better. Background: I listed a Prada bag on Ebay (photos here), and the buyer claimed that the handles were split. I was astonished; I'm extremely picky about what we list and work to depict any issues. Nevertheless, she was right, I saw splitting in two photos (3 and 4) although I hadn't noticed it before. Still, it didn't look that severe AND IMO was plainly visible in more than one shot. Here's what went down.

buyer said:
Hello,
I received the item, and although I love the purse there is damage to the straps that was not disclosed in the item description or pictures. The shoulder straps have come apart at the seams in more than one place. I have contacted Ebay and was told that I have two options: I can either contact you for a return and refund, or I can file a significantly not as described claim. Please let me know the mailing address so I may ship and return the item to you, as I believe that to be the more congenial option. Also, please let me know how long it will take for me to receive a refund. I thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Me said:
I'm deeply apologetic that you are not happy with the purse. Indeed, neither my wife nor I noticed the splitting when we were preparing the auction.

I must, however, take issue with your assertion that the splitting is not pictured. Upon a cursory review of the photos, a split is quite plainly visible in two photos although not in perfect focus.

If you view the auction and click on a photo to 'supersize' it, you will see a seam split in photos 3 and 4 on the strap edge in the right hand side of the photo.

Thus, although I did not explicitly describe the spliting, it is pictured clearly enough to be plainly visible even at the reduced resolution shown in the auction without supersizing.

The bag certainly was not sold as new, and is genuine as can be proven through several authentication methods. I thus do not consider this a gross misrepresentation of the condition of the bag and believe that Ebay and PayPal would concur. As my feedback will attest, I do not knowingly misrepresent items we sell and endeavor to provide as much detail as possible on the condition of the item. Indeed, of all the items I've sold since last September, you are the first person to take issue and request a return.

I want you to be happy with your purchase, or at least satisfied with the end result of the transaction. I'm thus hopeful we can reach an agreement that is fair to both of us.

Please understand; should I accept the bag in return I must relist it with the associated fees, repackage it, ship it, et cetera. The time requirement comes at a far greater cost than the monetary outlay, as I'm sure you can appreciate.
In light of all this, what would you consider fair to both of us?

Buyer said:
I understand your position and I did go back to look at the photos. However, the description details claim the wear is only on the bottom corners of the bag- a lot less noticable than splitting straps that are bound to split more with use (since the purse is picked up, carried, and worn by the straps.) I would really like to return the bag for a full refund less shipping and insurance, and I am willing to pay the shipping charges to mail the item back to you as well. In short, I am only asking for a refund of my final bidding price. I hope you understand my position, as I will not resell the purse because I purchased it for personal use (and I will not be able to get the expected life out of this designer purse that I had intended). Please respond with your shipping address and an expected date of refund. I thank you in advance for being so understanding.

Oh really???

Auction Text said:
This gorgeous Prada bag isn't new but no one else needs to know that it wasn't you that used it! Gently used, it does show some wear on the corners as pictured. It's still in beautiful condition and measures 11.5" in length, 4.5" in width and 9.5" high with a handle drop of 9". It is 100% authentic and comes with all cards although the storage bag has been lost. Good luck and good bidding!

me said:
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Pardon my bluntness, I've just returned from the hospital. A family member passed away; I apologize in advance. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]I do understand your position, likely more completely than you do. You have purchased an item that is not in the condition you assumed. Therein lies the problem. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]To clarify; my description absolutely does NOT claim that wear is limited to the described areas in any fashion. As stated before, the splitting was not described as we did not notice it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]By Ebay rules, I would be in compliance even were said omission deliberate. The onus is upon you as a bidder to fully determine the condition of a given item. It is the buyer's responsibility to ask the seller any questions regarding an item and ascertain what return policy, if any, is in place PRIOR TO BIDDING. A seller may not deliberately mislead, that is all. You didn't ask anything prior to bidding and thereby purchased the item as is. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]In addition, note that I did not state a return policy on this auction. I don't have one. I evalue any issue on a case by case basis. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]When a buyer has had an issue with a given item I've made sure the issue was resolved to the best of my abilites no matter how minor. Case in point; I just spent $15 and 20 minutes filling out export documents to ship a plastic holster to Singapore that went with an MP3 player I sold. It wasn't described in the auction and wasn't required, but my buyer asked. I happily did so. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Thus far such resolution efforts have universally happily dovetailed with the desires of my customers. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]I attempted the same here despite your opening with accusations of deception via omission and veiled threads of complaints to Ebay. You persist in doing so. Furthermore, you expect me to absorb Ebay listing fees and PayPal fees in order to extend you a full refund which I'm in no way obligated to provide. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Now that, hopefully, you have a better understanding of my position I trust you'll grasp how thoroughly you've burnt my good will.[/FONT]

Buyer said:
Ebay has informed me that all fees (final value, listing, and Paypal) are fully refunded when a return is processed and an item is relisted. I apologize if my email sounded like accusations (so much is lost and implied over email). I am also sorry to hear about your loss. Please let me know if "burning your good will" means that you will not accept the return. Thank you.

Me said:
Very true about the PayPal fees if they permit a refund through their system when a full refund is made. This is not always the case, necessitating a separate payment. Listing fees are NOT refunded, only final value fees. I've been doing this since 1999 with items of all values. I'm quite conversant with Ebay and PayPal fee structures and processes.

Mind you, this is all semantics. My initial request outlined my stance regarding a full refund, what costs are involved on my end, and outlined a framework for moving forward. As yet, I've not seen an offer from you that addressed those issues. My apologies if I was unclear. To put none too fine a point on it; I'm under no obligation to accept a return of the item yet after all this am still willing to consider such. I've asked what you consider fair given what I outlined in my first contact to you. I could assume that you consider fair to be a full refund less shipping. If so, then no, I will not accept a return. If not, please advise.

I absolutely will apologize for my tone wholeheartedly and unreservedly; understand that how you've approached this matter is offensive in the extreme for someone striving to provide quality and integrity in service with proven history of doing so. Through no fault of your own this comes at precisely the wrong time; for that I apologize and thank you sincerely for your wishes.

For what it's worth; in contacting Ebay prior to addressing this issue with me you've expressed an unwillingness to work with me. Ebay isn't the seller, I am. They have no responsibility for the transaction, I do. Furthermore, by stating (and this was explicit) that the item I sold you is significantly not as described and that the description was worded to exclude said damage you've in effect accused me of fraud-in-fact. I doubt you'd take such an accusation lightly, I can assure you I do not. Regardless of Email euphony or lack thereof, your actions spake with thunder indeed. So at this time my apologies if I am disinclined to offer my normally thorough excellence in customer service with regards to this transaction. Were I in your position, I'd keep the bag, consider this a lesson learned, and perhaps investigate repair and ask the buyer to consider sharing the cost. But, I'm not in your position. My patience is gone with regards to this issue. Make a last best offer, I will respond as appropriate and invite you to take whatever action you deem necessary.

So, boys and girls: lesson from this? Don't get angry. Stay calm.

The truth? I would have returned the purchase price, minus shipping.

The bag looks very good in the photos and I personally don't see the splitting in the photos. Beyond that, I believe it is incumbent upon the seller to disclose flaws in the written listing.

I do agree that it's the seller's responsibility to disclose all flaws. I think that's why I took such offence. I go overboard trying to disclose all flaws. That combined with a ton of personal issues; well, I handled it absolutely wrong. I've decided to refund whether warranted or not. IMO she didn't deserve the treatment no matter how baseless the initial claim. I think it's buyer's remorse but by way of apology for being a total sh*t I'm going to take the return anyway.

EDIT: Looks like I have to wait until PP is done reviewing the case! Went in to close the dispute and no option exists now that they're "reviewing". I could contact customer service but the LAST thing I want to do is prolong my account being locked out.

primera -- I've refunded in the past for goofy reasons (which i suspect were actually buyer's remorse). Sometimes it's just easier to refund than to deal with the buyer, especially when you figure they're going to file a claim and make life miserable for you. I know some people disagree, but I find myself taking the path of least resistance.

It's always so disappointing when you think you've made a sale and then it turns sour. In my case, I find that I've spent the money and the refund puts me in a financial hole.

I don't understand the issue. The bidder was completely a gem in this wacky world of ebay. She didn't come after you with a vengence like some may have. She was reasonable and polite. I think being so hard core can be trouble sometime. Besides that...

That last line you wrote kinda made me feel like a admonished child in a classroom...LOL
"So, boys and girls: lesson from this? Don't get angry. Stay calm."

Hi, I don't want to seem critical, but whatever the 'truth' of the dispute (and I think that it is very possible to see 'truth' in both your complaints about each other), the buyer is exemplary in her communication and I would have refunded on the basis of what I perceive to be unhappiness on the part of a reasonable person, but maybe I'm a sucker!

You yourself admit you did not initially see the splitting on the shoulder straps when you sold the bag and, frankly, I don't even see splitting in your numerous photos which show the bag to be in very good condition. Sorry, but I think you have been quite harsh with a very reasonable and nice buyer. She should not get stuck with an item that was not properly described. You complain about how much time and money this is costing you. Well, the buyer would have to spend much more time and money repairing the bag. Now, I do not mean to be harsh here myself, but as a buyer I would have lost patience with you many emails back and just turned it over to my credit card company for a complete refund. Have you looked at this from the buyer's perspective and thought how you would have felt if you had received a bag with splitting straps that you did not know about when you bid?

well im sorry to say that but the only thing u are right about is that this is how NOT to handle it :shrugs: ...your attitude towards the poor seller, your eloquent long sentences with official language used probably to try and discourage her from returning the bag are absolutely out of place ...kudos for the buyer for staying nice and reasonable for such a long time i would have lost my patience long before ..what bugs me i dont see a sincere apology to the buyer from you anywhere in those emails u posted ...:sad: but fair play to u for seeing your mistake ...:P

I actually don't see the splitting in the pics either and IMO the buyer is totally right to ask for a refund because the bag isn't as described. She was very reasonable and polite in all her emails and the errors were made on your side in the description and your correspondence is rude. Actually I admire the buyer's patience as I would have given this issue to my cc company for a full refund and I would have opened a dispute with Paypal.
Only good thing is that you admitted your mistake by the end of the day and accepted a return.
I really hope that you apoligized to the poor buyer and I highly doubt that she'll buy from you again neither would I in her position.
You're lucky if she doesn't leave you negative feedback as I would do.
But thank god the matter is solved and everybody can move on.:smile:

I think you should take tha bag back and stop with the hassle. The buyer is being MORE than nice and reasonable and the pictures were not in focus. You did not state the damage to the straps. I think it is YOU who is long-winded and annoying.

Do the right thng for God's sake. Take the purse back. YOU KNOW WHAT'S RIGHT. The buyer is 200% correct. You are deceptive and you making buyng on eBay a chore. It is supposed to be fun on both sides.

I HOPE IT IS YOU WHO HAS LEARNED SOMETHING.

Fauve