Best Make-up for people of Color?

trustlove

May 17, 2010
I am currently using Fashion Fair make up but I feel like it's clogging my pores somewhat. I want to see what else is out there but it's hard to find my shades. Anyone have suggestions. I'm black by the way and I'd say my skin color is like a light mocha color.

I use bare escentuals for foundation and just about everything else (eyeshadow, blush, etc.) and I really like it. They have different formulas for the foundation (original and matte) and lots of color choices for the foundation (I wear golden deep). Nars and MAC also have a large selection of foundation choices (as well as blush, eyeshadow, etc) for people of color, too.

Here's a link to their foundation finder:

http://bareescentuals.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BareEscentuals-Site/default/Experience-Show?cgid=BE_FOUNDATION_FINDER

They also sell it on QVC, Sephora, Nordstrom and some other places, too. QVC is having a special kit (TSV) on Saturday (6/12) that includes foundation.

Last edited:
my two favs are:
Bobbi Brown
Becca
Iman

for mineral makeup, I use:
Priia - the only mineral makeup I've found that doesn't make people of color have that white or grey hue that other mineral lines do.

^ might try this line DC. I'm a PJ!

I've been using bare minerals for 3 years now and Love it. They've added so many shades now you simply can't get the ashy look now. I particularly like the matte line they have now. I've go acne prone skin, so I ocassioanly break out when I don't wash my face at night, but I think it's because I don't wash my face at night, not because of the makeup. When I used to wear mac studio fix, I was a pizza face. Since I switched to bare minerals I simply have a bump here or there when I'm a lazy ass. PS...I'm chocolate brown complexion :smile:

Bobbi Brown - if you have uneven skin tone/hyper-pigmentation like me (I get dark brown blotches from every little pimple or scratch :sad:), then the BB foundations are great. They are yellow-based so they work a lot better on WOC, and the range of colors is really nice. These are the only foundations that I have ever liked.

Thanks ladies.

Loquita-I too get dark brown blotches from every pimple I hate it. I been using the Clinique "NEW Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector" for about 2.5 weeks now and I am seeing some difference. Do you recommend anything to get rid of the spots?

Thanks ladies.

Loquita-I too get dark brown blotches from every pimple I hate it. I been using the Clinique "NEW Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector" for about 2.5 weeks now and I am seeing some difference. Do you recommend anything to get rid of the spots?

Wow - you are lucky that the Clinique works for you! I have heard a lot of people saying that it wasn't happening for them with that product. To be honest, I am always, always on the lookout for something that fades the darker spots on my skin without costing an eye out of my head. The best thing so far for me is to exfoliate my skin several times a week, apply Retinol to my skin every night (I use some Philosophy stuff, but when it's gone I will probably switch to something stronger), and use a Clarisonic to clean my skin. And I wear SPF every single day, all year around.

Those brown blotches drive me crazy.

^ might try this line DC. I'm a PJ!

I've been using bare minerals for 3 years now and Love it. They've added so many shades now you simply can't get the ashy look now. I particularly like the matte line they have now. I've go acne prone skin, so I ocassioanly break out when I don't wash my face at night, but I think it's because I don't wash my face at night, not because of the makeup. When I used to wear mac studio fix, I was a pizza face. Since I switched to bare minerals I simply have a bump here or there when I'm a lazy ass. PS...I'm chocolate brown complexion :smile:

bare minerals also irritated my skin, made it itchy..:pout:
trustlove - if you're looking for a concealer, try:
Bobbi Brown
Eve Pearl (salmon concealer) - this stuff is GREAT.

So glad we have a thread like this:smile:

Do you recommend anything to get rid of the spots?

I believe to get rid of them your only option would be laser. I wanted to try Clinique but I just didn't want to shell out $$$ for a possible pipe dream based off of the reviews on here and make up alley. I discovered I got the same results with Ponds clarant B3 skin moisturizer face cream for anti-dark spots(comes in 2 skin types normal to dry and normal to oily). As it claims, I noticed in 2 wks even skin tone and within 4 wks reduced appearance of dark spots. Trust me when I say it is no miracle worker but it did give me the results I was looking for without taking the laser route. I am learning that with hyperpigmentation, spf(as much as I hate it) is your best defense.

I currently use NARS Sheer Glow...LOVE IT! I am;however, interested in trying Chanel Pro Lumiere or Teint Innocence. I have heard great things about them.

Great thread! I'm big on GloMinerals right now, and find the shade selection and coverage better than Bare Essentials. It doesn't give that whitish cast either on me. I have oily skin as well. I love Iman stick foundations too, they are oil free and give good but light-feeling coverage. I hear good things about Black Opal too. For my dark spots, presciption Tazorac is working well for me but it's taken several months. HTH