Travel St Thomas, Virgin Islands

After much research my boyfriend and I have decided to go to St Thomas instead of Puerto Rico for my b-day this year!! :yahoo:

I have NEVER traveled out of the continental US, so I am so very nervous! I hear we don't have to have a passport, is that in fact true?

We are staying at the Frenchman's Reef & Morningstar Marriott Beach Resort. Can anyone give me any tips on things to see, places to shop, restaurants to eat at, things to do and/or things not to do?

Thanks a bunch!!

I can confirm that you don't need a passport as it is a US territory...

also take a ferry over to St John (another of the US virgin islands) -- I hear it's really nice

if you ferry over to Tortola or BVI though, you will need a passport..

Nope, no passport needed for US citizens, BUT you will still have been considered to have left the USA when you get back home (for customs and duty purposes of course)

Nope, no passport needed for US citizens, BUT you will still have been considered to have left the USA when you get back home (for customs and duty purposes of course)

What does that mean? I will have to go through costoms to board the flight back home? Like should we arrive 2 hours at the airport the morning we leave to come home?

What does that mean? I will have to go through costoms to board the flight back home? Like should we arrive 2 hours at the airport the morning we leave to come home?

This info should be given to you by your airline - check your e-tickets for all that info.

The customs/duty thing is if you buy over your exemption limit, you will be charged duty (a percentage of the amount over your personal exemption limit). Not to worry though, your limit doubles when in the US Virgin Islands, so not too much to worry there.

St. Thomas is a beautiful island, one of the popular port (RCI cruise) we visit almost every year. Check out "Paradise point" for a spectacular view of the island.
Go downtown for extensive jewellery,cosmetics,sovenir purchases. For designer boutiques, go to Yacht haven grande (LV, Bvlgari,Gucci). Also check out www.tripadvisor.com for more info.[... it's dutyfree shopping. No taxes! Have fun!!

My mom and I went on a cruise when I was 13 and one of the stops was St Thomas. I just remember there were streets and streets full of jewellery stores, and emerald pieces seemed to be a specialty there.