Feeling sad...remembering my dad

Aug 26, 2006
Ten years ago today, my dad died of a heart attack while visiting the Philippines. He was supposed to come back to the States two weeks later.

It was the most dreadful call I'd gotten from my sister. I didn't know what to do. I felt like somebody ripped my heart out and kicked it around. When I finally got to the Philippines and saw his body in the casket, I could tell that he was sad, sad that we didn't get to say goodbye.

I've always had this fear that when you die, people around you will forget about you. But I realized that their love for you will always keep you connected to them; that whether it's 10 days or 10 years later, they will live in your heart forever.

So I just want thank my dad-thank you for giving me courage when I was scared, for teaching me right from wrong, for showing me that it's ok to make mistakes and learn from it, and most of all, for loving me unconditionally. I will always love you and will never forget you.

ah love2shop, I am so sorry for you. My nan died just last week, and getting through Christmas, and trying to get through New Year tonight is just terrible, so I know a little of what you are going through.

Imagine how proud he is, of what a beautiful, loving daughter he created, so raise a toast to him at Midnight and remember that you have him in your memories and heart.

I really feel for you honey :yes:

I'm sorry. I'm coming up on the one-year anniversary of my dad's death, and I, too, have been feeling sad. I think the best thing we can do is enjoy the good memories we have of our fathers and think about how lucky we were to have such wonderful fathers in our lives, even if that time was too short.

I'm so sorry about your dad. I lost my dad this past Feb. and I am dreading the upcoming anniversary. Christmas just wasn't the same. The nice thing we did this year was each family member told a funny story involving my dad. It was touching and at the same time it made us all laugh a little....

anne

God bless you lovetoshop. Aren't dads just so wonderful and special? My heart goes out to you - I can relate. My daddy just passed away Oct. 30 and I know its going to feel fresh for years to come. He was my best friend too and taught me about loving unconditionally. Good dads rock and are such a blessing. Lots of love and hugs to you.

Your post is so incredibly touching!!! I can totally relate-it will be 8 years on Jan. 4 since my dad died. I still feel so connected to him though, and am so thankful for everything he and my mom taught me. They will never be forgotten!

My thoughts are with you! It is incredibly hard to deal with the loss of a loved one especially a parent. One of my friends is currently dealing with her father's losing battle with cancer and knows that she only has a short time left with him.

Ten years ago today, my dad died of a heart attack while visiting the Philippines. He was supposed to come back to the States two weeks later.

It was the most dreadful call I'd gotten from my sister. I didn't know what to do. I felt like somebody ripped my heart out and kicked it around. When I finally got to the Philippines and saw his body in the casket, I could tell that he was sad, sad that we didn't get to say goodbye.

I've always had this fear that when you die, people around you will forget about you. But I realized that their love for you will always keep you connected to them; that whether it's 10 days or 10 years later, they will live in your heart forever.

So I just want thank my dad-thank you for giving me courage when I was scared, for teaching me right from wrong, for showing me that it's ok to make mistakes and learn from it, and most of all, for loving me unconditionally. I will always love you and will never forget you.

So sorry to hear of your loss. You will be in my thoughts.

Have you ever heard of the website: Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records

It is a great two fold website. It originally was started as a tool to assist in geneology but now it is much more. It is an a online memorial site too. I have several family members listed on it, and it is very touching when total strangers take the time to leave virtual flowers on the virtual graves.

Grab a tissue when you stroll thru the site though, it really is touching.

So sorry to hear of your loss. You will be in my thoughts.

Have you ever heard of the website: Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records

It is a great two fold website. It originally was started as a tool to assist in geneology but now it is much more. It is an a online memorial site too. I have several family members listed on it, and it is very touching when total strangers take the time to leave virtual flowers on the virtual graves.

Grab a tissue when you stroll thru the site though, it really is touching.

That website is quite powerful and sad. I first found it when one of my friends from James Madison University emailed me that there was a virtual grave for our dear friend from JMU who died in the WTC on 9/11

Oh my, im so sorry about what happened to your father!
I wish there was something sentimental that I could say right now to ease the pain a little.. But im definantely not the person to talk to about this! But I do wish the best to you and your family, you will be in my prayers tonight!..

What a sweet post! Those of us who had good fathers were so lucky. We picked good DH's cause of it. Wanted someone to to treat us like our daddys

Thanks for everyone's kind words and support. I feel better just being able to let my feelings out. And I also wish the best to all who have lost a loved one.

I will check out that website. Thanks for your suggestion.