Another article on the fake trade in the new Harper's Bazaar!

ktown

Jun 6, 2006
Bazaar, has a really great article on fake luxury goods,well worth reading. This is just so sad as to how these poor children/people are used to produce fake goods . This just makes me so angry.

January 2007 Bazaar.

January 2007 issue of Bazaar has a wondeful article on fakes goods. Makes reference as to how children are used to fuel this industry. Article speaks of shelves filled with fake 2.55 handbags and J12 ceramic watches. This just makes be feel ill. Those poor children, this is so sad.

H&M too? I didn't know that?!

well I can't prove that they use CHILDREN but the working conditions are quite bad and if they used children I don't think people in those countries would care, read the labels where the stuff is made, but read especially a book that tells you a lot about companies like that (H&M is also featured because of the horrible work conditions, I dunno how much has improved by now), the original version is in german, I try to find the english titel in the meanwhile...

Bazaar, has a really great article on fake luxury goods,well worth reading. This is just so sad as to how these poor children/people are used to produce fake goods . This just makes me so angry.

January 2007 Bazaar.

Sometimes I wish all factories were super fake factories because they don't use children. (I saw them making super fakes on my trip to Asia).

Thing is we cant stop countries from using children to manufacture goods. Even legit goods are manufactured by children because the countries they manufacture the stuff in dont have child labor laws. Abercrombie, Nike, all have child labor.

^^Saw this article and it was a very informative read, really solidifies my opposition to fakes :throwup:
Btw, this issue has Kate Winslet and a brunette Cameron Diaz on the cover in blue gowns...

H&M too? I didn't know that?!
Anytime I see a T shirt for $9 (regular price) I assume a sweat shop is involved somewhere. How does the Gap, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. sell at such low prices, otherwise?

January 2007 issue of Bazaar has a wondeful article on fakes goods. Makes reference as to how children are used to fuel this industry.
Is it on-line somewhere? I read the preview for The Fake Trade: Wanted For Stealing Childhoods but would like to read the whole thing and I haven't bought Bazaar since they put Lindsay Lohan on the cover. (In other words, the magazine isn't what it used to be.)

Sometimes I wish all factories were super fake factories because they don't use children. (I saw them making super fakes on my trip to Asia).

Thing is we cant stop countries from using children to manufacture goods. Even legit goods are manufactured by children because the countries they manufacture the stuff in dont have child labor laws. Abercrombie, Nike, all have child labor.

Brings in the whole trade debate. If you don't go to these countries to manufacture goods the prices will go up (that's the business argument). Will it cost more to manufacture in these countries and use adults? Would it be so hard for a country/business to require that children are not exploited in the manufacturing of their goods produced in that country? If found guilty the business should be fined.

There's also a very in-depth book called Knockoff: The Deadly Trade in Counterfeit Goods: The True Story of the World's Fastest-Growing Crime Wave by Tim Phillips that you might be interested in. Amazon.com's description of it is:

"Knockoff exposes the truth behind the fakes and uncovers the shocking consequences of dealing in counterfeit goods. Traveling across the globe, Tim Phillips shows that counterfeiting isn't a victimless crime; it is an illegal global industry undermining the world's economies. Based on interviews with victims, investigators, and the people who sell counterfeits, Knockoff reveals the link between what we see as "innocent" fakes and organized crime. Phillips describes in detail how the counterfeiters' criminal network costs jobs, cripples developing countries, breeds corruption and violence, and kills thousands of people every year. He shows that by turning a blind eye to the problem, we become accomplices to theft, extortion, and murder. "