Banned from making too many returns? - Share your experiences!

I think many stores are trying to avoid people who regularly buy lots of stuff on sale, post it on ebay for a month, then return everything they can't sell. Several times I've been in TJMaxx and have seen people standing in line at the Returns counter with shopping carts heaped full of merchandise they are returning. One time I saw a couple with two carts of merchandise they wanted to return (mostly toys and shoes). That has to be an incredible drain on a store's resources.

btw.. the USA is one of the only countries in the world where returns are even allowed.

as I've mentioned, I've worked in retail.. some people really know how to milk the system and really abuse the policies... but I agree that MOST people do not overdo it.

I think many stores are changing the time limit on their returns. Most of them used to be 180 days, unless it was a final sale item. Now many are going to 30 days on returns for your money back-after that it's store credit only, or you get the lowest price it's selling at.
I think a lot of the retailers have stopped sending out as many of those letters because the economy is so poor that they can't afford to alienate any customers that spend money in their stores. JMO :smile:

I've never gotten a nasty ban letter, but reading this thread makes me wonder if this bag I plan on returning this week will trigger this policy from Anthropologie? It has one of those unlimited return policies (no time limit). I wonder why bother having this kind of policy if you're going to end up banning people? Just state the 30 or 180 day policy. It's a bag I've carried once and forgot about (purchased 6 months ago) and has been sitting in my closet in its dustcover. I don't want to be embarassed when I show up there relying on that unlimited return policy and then get the "you're banned!" comment in front of everyone. I haven't returned excessively there, but have about 50% of the merchandise I've bought online at this particular store because all their clothes are made by different designers and an S could be an L in some instances.

I purchased a dress at Zara in spain and when I got to the hotel it didn't look right so I returned the next day without a problem. I think US has a more liberal return policy but I know other countries will let you do returns just not like the US

I've never gotten a nasty ban letter, but reading this thread makes me wonder if this bag I plan on returning this week will trigger this policy from Anthropologie? It has one of those unlimited return policies (no time limit). I wonder why bother having this kind of policy if you're going to end up banning people? Just state the 30 or 180 day policy. It's a bag I've carried once and forgot about (purchased 6 months ago) and has been sitting in my closet in its dustcover. I don't want to be embarassed when I show up there relying on that unlimited return policy and then get the "you're banned!" comment in front of everyone. I haven't returned excessively there, but have about 50% of the merchandise I've bought online at this particular store because all their clothes are made by different designers and an S could be an L in some instances.

While Anthropologie has no time limit on their returns, the items must be unworn with tags attached.

At least that was what I was told. The exception being a defective item.

I highly doubt that one return to Anthropologie would trigger a ban! ;)

I started this thread because I had ordered a lot of stuff via online recently and ended up returning 90% of the stuff due a combination of factors but mostly cos' of

- late delivery for Christmas
- Items looked shoddy IRL

If I am returning everything on my online order and am returning at least 4 separate orders for one particular store alone, I consider it a very rate return ratio myself.

I am not in the habit of making returns but the combination of sales and gift giving led to several purchases that I regretted immediately upon receiving them. :s

Since you've the carried the bag, I don't think it is ethical to return it. I used to work for Anthro and yes, they have a very liberal return policy. But as another customer, I hope they would ban you if you are returning merchandise that's 6 months old and technically used. I'm sure the bag is on sale by now so hopefully no one gets suckered paying full-price for a bag that's already been carried outside of the store, but it is practices like this that affect everyone else when stores with liberal return policies no longer can afford to maintain them.

Reactions: GlitterEyebags
Different stores will have different signage available. Oh, and I should clarify that it's only for CERTAIN stores.

I know that Express/Limited stores will do this. I believe it's 5 (or was it 6) returns within a 90 day period. They will ask you for your ID (regardless if you have a receipt or not), and they'll enter your info into this special device (separate from the cash register's computer). If you've surpassed the acceptable number of returns within that 90 day period, you will be automatically DECLINED the return. Not banned from the store, but you won't be able to return your product REGARDLESS IF IT'S A DEFECT, GIFT, ETC. If you have NO receipt, and your total return amount within that 90 day frame is above the store's acceptable limit (I think it's like $250 or $300), then again, you will NOT be able to return your merchandise.

If this is their policy, I would think that they would at least have to warn the customer that the next time they try to return they will not be able to. If their systems flags "no return" at a certain number of purchases,then it should be able to flag at the number right before that so the customer can be made aware and purchase (or not) accordingly. JMO.

I think many stores are changing the time limit on their returns. Most of them used to be 180 days, unless it was a final sale item. Now many are going to 30 days on returns for your money back-after that it's store credit only, or you get the lowest price it's selling at.
This is what happened where I work. We use to have unlimited time frame for returns but now it is 90 days, after which a store credit is issued for the lowest selling price.

I don't see a problem with banning customers who return a lot especially if there is reason to suspect something fishy. I'll never forget this lady who was returning several handbags and she pulled out a huge stack of receipts. Anyway during the transaction LP intervenes and states that they've been investigating her purchase history and found that she had a 90% return rate:nuts: Anyway she was eventually caught for tag switching.

It's people who abuse the return policy that ruin it for all the honest people who return for legitimate reasons. Some people treat department stores like clothing and bag rental services. The clothes and bags are dirty, worn, and used and they have the nerve to expect the stores to just give them their money back. No wonder stores have started tightening the return policies.

Interesting topic..I usually shop at B&M stores and usually buy a lot of items that I know some will be return the next time I go shopping (usually within7 days (I spend most Saturday at the mall, it's my therapy and where I can get some exercise).The reason is I have a young daughter and she usually gets a little restless when I spend too much time in the changing room. I do not wear my clothes and then try to return. I go home try them on and return the ones that do not fit. I don't think a store should ban anyone for returns, if it is done within return guidelines. But than again, there is no law that says a store has to accept a return; however, they would need to make it known that they don't accept returns or that you'll get ban fro too many returns. I would be very mad if I go return something and get told that I am ban from shopping at the store.

It's people who abuse the return policy that ruin it for all the honest people who return for legitimate reasons. Some people treat department stores like clothing and bag rental services. The clothes and bags are dirty, worn, and used and they have the nerve to expect the stores to just give them their money back. No wonder stores have started tightening the return policies.

Totally Agree. An aunt used to work as a manager at a fancy dept. store. She said people would routinely come in with armloads of clothing from their dead aunt's closet, stuff that had been purchased 30 years before, and was often worn, and insist on returning it because it had store labels sewn into it. Because of the store's liberal return policy they had to accept the return, negotiating some sort of price if only to keep the person from going ballistic on the store floor. Then of course they had to call the Goodwill.

Not true. You can return things that are worn. In fact, I've seen reviews on their website that say they returned it after they have washed it and it shrunk or did something funky.

That's a little different because shrinking is considered a garment defect. Most sensible retailers will accept a return on clothing that shrinks.

If this is their policy, I would think that they would at least have to warn the customer that the next time they try to return they will not be able to. If their systems flags "no return" at a certain number of purchases,then it should be able to flag at the number right before that so the customer can be made aware and purchase (or not) accordingly. JMO.
Although, I think you (not you personally, but a general "you") would realize if you've been returning a lot of items at a high rate. In that case, I don't think there should be a pre-warning about the next return being a bannable offense. I tend not to return a lot only because I find it a hassle. As much as a love fashion, I don't like shopping nearly as much. So, when I hit up a store, it's usually because I'm need of a particular item--jeans, shoes, sweater, skirt, dress, etc. (With clothes) Sometimes I'll try on, other times, I won't. If I bring the item home, and try it on and don't like it, I may return it. But, that doesn't happen too often.

As for online purchases, again, my patience does me in. I've ordered things online (usually one of, though), and when it comes, if I happen to not like the size, it may end up taking space in my closet only because I don't want to go through the hassle of going to the Post Office and having to wait an extra 7-10 business days (plus the time it takes to mail the returned item) to receive the correct item. If it doesn't fit and I don't want it in my closet, I'll usually ask a friend if they're in the mood for a dress (because it's usually a dress purchased online that does me in (since I have a large bust and a smaller waist, the fit needs to be just right).

Also, the difference for me may be that these are not outrageously expensive items. My wallet can't handle that at the moment.

(As an example, the dress in my avatar is one that I purchased from Urban Outfitters online. It's a bit shorter than what I would normally wear, but I didn't want to return it, so I decided I needed to make it work.)