Food Ideas for what to bring to a potluck Christmas party

coronita

Sipping ginger ale
O.G.
Jun 21, 2008
Hi everyone. I need help! I have been invited to a Christmas party this coming Saturday. It's a potluck deal so everyone has to bring a dish. There are about 15 confirmed guests. I'm looking for something easy and hopefully cheap to make. No desserts please since the hostess has her own dessert business so she will be providing that! Thanks so much in advance.

I always make spinach dip and bring bread w/ me to things like that. It is beyond simple and really good- just use the Knorr vegetable soup dip pack, mayo, spinach and sour cream like the box says and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then, get a loaf or two of nice bread, cut into cubes.

Stuffed mushrooms are easy, pretty inexpensive and look nice too. You could do a mix of crab and shrimp w/ the breadcrumbs, cream cheese, etc.

If it was me going to a potluck kind of thing, I'd bring both of these!

If you want to bring a more traditional side, there is a recipe for mashed potatoes on Pioneer Woman Cooks. You can prep them and then just keep them in a crockpot, that you could take w/ you. The recipe is really good and not the typical butter and milk potato recipe.

I always make spinach dip and bring bread w/ me to things like that. It is beyond simple and really good- just use the Knorr vegetable soup dip pack, mayo, spinach and sour cream like the box says and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then, get a loaf or two of nice bread, cut into cubes.

Stuffed mushrooms are easy, pretty inexpensive and look nice too. You could do a mix of crab and shrimp w/ the breadcrumbs, cream cheese, etc.

If it was me going to a potluck kind of thing, I'd bring both of these!

Thanks.. I think the spinach dip may work! I knew I could count on tpf!

These are both from Penzeys.

Chicken & Bacon Poppers
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1lb sliced bacon
2 TB BBQ 300 (or other dry BBQ rub)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Spray roasting rack with non-stick cooking spray, place on foil covered roasting pan and set aside.
Cut checken into 1 inch cubes.
Cut each bacone slice into thirds. Do this before you separate the bacon into slices.
Wrap a piece of bacon around each chicken cube and secure with wooden toothpick.
Combine BBQ rub with brown sugar. Drop each meat skewer into mixture and toss gently. Arrange poppers on the rack and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and topping is browned.

Pepperoni Pizza Dip
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/2 pepperoni sausage, chopped small (not sliced), about 1/2 cup
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350. Beat together cream cheese, sour cream, oregno, garlic, and pepper. Spread in a 9 inch pie pan. Spread pizza sauce over the top. Sprinkle with pepperoni, onions and peppers. Bake for 10 minutes. REmove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Make sure cheese is not in one lump in the middle, but evenly sprinkled. Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes until golden brown.
Serve with crackers.

While both are best piping hot, they still taste good at room temperature.

Last edited:
The pizza dip actually tastes pizza-y. The cream cheese just gives it a smoothness and makes it easy to spread.

Sometimes I just use the disposable aluminum pie plates and it makes for easy clean-up. I have made this dip and served it to DH for dinner on occasion (hangs head), but all 4 food groups are covered!

It's not super exciting, but for potlucks, I like to make and bring a cheese and cracker tray, a veggie tray with ranch or dill dip OR a fresh fruit platter with cream cheese dip. With all the other heavy, rich foods I think it's usually nice to have something a little lighter!

It's not super exciting, but for potlucks, I like to make and bring a cheese and cracker tray, a veggie tray with ranch or dill dip OR a fresh fruit platter with cream cheese dip. With all the other heavy, rich foods I think it's usually nice to have something a little lighter!

Yes, I was thinking of a cheese tray too. I got a quick e-mail with a listing of what is already being brought and it seems to be a lot of meat! (wings, meatballs...etc)

If you want something that has no meat, this is very quick and seriously tasty.

1 block cream cheese, softened and gently spread out on a plate. Take some pepper jelly (I like the red Tabasco one) and smooth over the top. Serve with crackers. It is so good!

always a hit for any potlucks i go to or family gatherings:

Taco Dip:
Mix two packages of cream cheese (softened) with one tub of sour cream (small or regular - just depends on how soft you want the base) with one package of taco dip (or more if you really want a taco taste)

---for a larger amount just add more cream cheese and taco seasoning, the sour cream just keeps the mixture from becoming too stiff---

spread onto a large plate/platter - anything with no edge is best
Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and shredded cheese (or anything else you can think of, maybe green onions)

Serve with tortilla chips.

this stuff is so yummy that some people even eat it without the chips.

My go to potluck dish is Mormon Funeral Potatoes, I just call it Potato Caserole if anyone asks though. Not at all gourmet, but everyone loves them.

You'll find a million recipes if you google, but here's my version. Bear with me because I rarely measure when I cook.

Sautee some onions till they just begin to carmelize in butter or olive oil and a little salt. Mix together the onions, frozen hash browns (shredded or cubed, I usually leave them out to defrost first to speed up cooking), cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese (I like lots!). You want the potatoes to be throughly coated, but not soupy. Bake at 350, time depends on size of the casserole dish. When it's cooked through top w French's Fried Onions, and return to oven to brown.

You can also make this in the crock pot, just leave out the French's Onions.