Does your dog know any tricks? Lots of tricks? None at all?

Does your dog know any tricks?

• Yes, he's got all the basics down.

• Yes, he knows the basics and more.

• No, he's too busy for that.

Results are only viewable after voting.
What tricks does your dog(s) or other pets know? All the basic commands? Any fun tricks? Or training tips?

My yorkie is a bit stubborn and doesn't know too many commands yet. He's great at sitting and shaking hands, but that's it so far. He almost knows how to lie down and stand. I think it'll be cute to teach him to high five and cover his eyes. There are a bunch more I hope to teach him.

My dogs know the basics (although they don't always listen!). They can both sit, shake (with both paws), down, roll over, and stay -- stay is by far the most useful! My older dog was trained before I rescued her though. My younger dog will typically respond to all commands and gets very excited when I ask her to sit, shake, etc., but my older dog ignores me unless I'm holding a treat -- then she will do any trick I ask! They also respond to "Hey" (especially my older dog), which means basically, stop doing whatever you're doing: barking at the neighbor dog, trying to steal cat food, etc. I'd love to teach them some agility tricks, but I don't know where to begin.

Our younger dog knows all the basics because he's taken the CGC test - sit, stay, down, come, leave it, watch me and paw. Tricks, not so much, though. Although, he'd probably do algebra for food.

Our older dog knows sit and stay, but she doesn't need commands. She's one of those dog that automatically does what she's supposed to. She's 10 and I think she's just learned how to behave by sensing our feelings and emotion, rather than commands. She doesn't need a leash or anything, either. She just stays right by us. That said, the one trick she does do, if you put a leash on her, she walks around with it in her mouth. She basically walks herself!

Let's see, so far she knows the basics (she's 10 months old)....sit, stay, lie down, give paw, sit up. I work with her a lot, so she knows some others:

Wait...at open doors until I release her, or if I put her dinner down
Heel...walks with me and immediately sits down if I stop
High five!
Leave it...I can drop a treat and she won't pick it up until I tell her it's okay
Turn around....turns in circles on command
Drop it (not very consistent if it's something she REALLY wants!)
Touch (I can hold my hand up in the air in any position, and she'll jump up and lightly bump her nose on my hand...saw it on "Dog Town"....)

She's not very good about coming when called, so I'm working on that, since it's so important. When I call her, sometimes she looks like she's thinking, or weighing her options... :smile:

My dog is a blast to train because he's so responsive. Too bad he's a terrier and only does them when HE wants to though. Although for food, he will do any and all of the following:

basic commands - sit, down, stay, come, roll over etc
jump - over any obstacle we set up
crawl - on his belly army style
paw, other paw - alternating hand shakes
squat - sitting on his haunches with his front feet up
beg - standing on his hind feet
touch - touch any object we point at with his nose
wait - for food, to go out doors
leave it
go find ___ - he will actively search out a person or a toy on command (we gave all his toys specific names as a puppy so he learned to associate them)
who's there? - barks on command, and runs to the window/front door to see who is there

plus more, but i won't bore you with the details. he's just such a fun little guy and i'm so proud that he's such a quick learner!

I have a Jack Russel puppy, and he was a very quick learner so we managed to teach him some tricks:

sit
lay down
jump
roll over
paw & other paw
turn around (turn 360)
come here
where is the ball/rope (he really searches for them and really picks what you asked for and brings it to play)
search (for coockies we hide in the house)
af = let go of whatever you have in your mouth!
stand (stand on two feet)
go to your crib/bed (offcourse in my own language this is just one word command)

that's about it I think? If we really wanted we could train him so much more, but I feel this is enough and I wouldn't want to push him too much

I want to add that I noticed he can do the basics (sit etc) with no sound but only a hand gesture we always use for that particular command, do your dogs also pay a lot of attention to the gestures you make with the command? I think it's cool that he knows 'sign language' too :P

Last edited:
All my little rescue pup knows is how to sit, but she also knows what to do when I tell her to go in her "house" (crate).

I'm still working on her socialization, she still wants to kill every other dog she sees on walks.

My dog has the basics down:
sit, lay down, stop, stay, shake hands, paws up, wait, let go and leave it.
He can also bark on command, jump over all kinds of things and jumps through a loop
I form with my arms.
He gets his ball on command or brings my shoes or a magazine, too. And he does high fives.
But I can´t get him to roll over :thinking:

Basics and more:

Sit
Stay
Lay down
Shake (both paws, one after the other)
High five
Jump
Speak
Catch (catches little treats in his mouth)
Roll over (he hates this one, he has such a barrel chest I guess it's hard for him.)
Sits without waiting for a command every time he's on a leash and we come to a curb.

I think there's more, but I can't remember! It's so easy to train him, he's very eager to please. :heart::love:

We have an 11 wk old.. and she starts her 1st puppy class this Sunday. So far my my dh & I have been working with her.. and she now knows:

Sit, Down, Turn, Touch, High Five, shake hands & fetch (does that count? lol) . She's having a tough time with "Off" as in give the toy.. she wants to play tug & war half the time and will bite everything in site since she's teething... uGh.. when will this phase pass!! .. lol.

We have an 11 wk old.. and she starts her 1st puppy class this Sunday. So far my my dh & I have been working with her.. and she now knows:

Sit, Down, Turn, Touch, High Five, shake hands & fetch (does that count? lol) . She's having a tough time with "Off" as in give the toy.. she wants to play tug & war half the time and will bite everything in site since she's teething... uGh.. when will this phase pass!! .. lol.

My dog doesn't understand the concept of fetch, and I'm not sure how to teach him. He'll chase something I throw when he feels like it, but then sit somewhere I can't reach him and play with it. I tried bringing him to a park so he could watch other dogs fetch and learn the general concept, but it hasn't stuck yet.

Wow, a lot of dogs here are very impressive. Dogs are so cute when they follow commands and do tricks.