what if you never treat your bags before use?

manke

basket case
Feb 16, 2009
hello ladies,

i tried doing a search on what happens if you don't treat your leather before using it, but i didn't get any good results.

from the threads i've read, it seems like everyone automatically appleguards their bags before using them. i know it must seem like blasphemy, but i've never done that. i only have dark colored bags, and i never carry them when there is any chance of rain/snow. i also put them in their dustbag every night, empty and stuffed.

please enlighten me as to what will/could happen to my poor bags without treatment. i guess my reasoning was that if the treating was so necessary, then why don't designers sell their bags already treated for us so that we don't have to do it ourselves.

(sorry if my question is super n00bish)

I almost never treat my bags up front, unless they are suede. I always treat suede with a protective spray. I have never really had a problem, as I am super gentle on my bags. I do clean and condition most of them at some point if they seem dry or if there is a problem, but that's the only reason I do it.

I never treat my bags either. I know I should, but I've never had any issues with a bag other than one with vachetta handles (which seem to be notoriously hard to keep clean). I don't really have any white or very delicate bags, though.

As for designers that sell pretreated bags, I know that Coach's signature bags used to be pretreated. However, I don't know if they do that any longer.

I pretreat my bags as a precaution as I live in Canada and we have winter here like 6 out of the 12 months. It takes only a gew minutes and to me it is worth the effort for the prices that I pay for my bags.