Dumb question but...about the hardware...

Bagluvluv

ALMA HUNTER
O.G.
Aug 16, 2006
The SA today told me that the hardware is gold plated on to brass and thats why it chips off....b/c I was complaining.....is this true??? I thought that it was just solid brass......:shrugs:

I read somewhere that it is gold plated so maybe it's true. Not sure where I saw that. It was when I first started liking LV.

I couldnt stand it so I called LV...they said that yes, it is gold plated and that to have the zipper pulls replaced it will be $22.00!!! I think that I will do that for some of my pieces....since they dont re-plate them.....

Geez, I just answered my own question....:shame: :P

Wait..isnt it more expensive to have solid brass coated with gold???? Why is just solid brass better??

I thought solid brass was better because when it tarnished, it could be cleaned and restored with brass cleaner, but the plated hardware eventually flakes or something? :confused1: Somebody let me know for sure...I just remember a thread or two about flaking hardware.

I thought solid brass was better because when it tarnished, it could be cleaned and restored with brass cleaner, but the plated hardware eventually flakes or something? :confused1: Somebody let me know for sure...I just remember a thread or two about flaking hardware.

The problem was, when the brass tarnishes it ruins the vachetta around it...also, almost impossible to clean the brass, without getting cleaner on the vachetta....so in the long run...much easier and less expensive to replaced chipped hardware than vachetta.

The problem was, when the brass tarnishes it ruins the vachetta around it...also, almost impossible to clean the brass, without getting cleaner on the vachetta....so in the long run...much easier and less expensive to replaced chipped hardware than vachetta.

Okay, that make sense....never thought of it that way.:supacool: