Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

TheRealReal - Opinions?

POST A REPLY

Nov 1, 2012, 9:22pm   #31
NWpurselover
Originally Posted by DanielleKristin
Good to know! I've debated selling with them since theyll come pick up in NYC, but wondered about the success of the process vs. just using a local consignor or listing on ebay myself...

Do they give you a receipt indicating how much they sold your item for (i.e. so you know that you got your fair proportion of the sale? I've heard about local consignors ripping people off and selling things for much higher than they tell the owner of the item they sold)..
They do give you a receipt when they send you the check but you can also check your realreal account to see what percentage you are getting of the sale.
Nov 9, 2012, 6:14pm   #32
authenticplease
Does anyone have a current code? Please?!
Nov 26, 2012, 10:26pm   #33
E
ESQ.
Account Deactivated
i have found many fakes on their website so i would be careful
Dec 11, 2012, 2:21pm   #34
m
mommyof5
I have purchased a Gryphon silk dress with tags for less than half new price, Louboutin cork high heel platforms for under $300 (no box) used but very good condition, a Chanel beige pouchette for half the new price (came with box and all original tags, like new), brand new with tag/box Philip Lim sunglasses $50, Tracy Reese shoes for $50, Missoni poncho like new and pucci scarf all for under $100 ea. Prices are great, everything as described. Customer service very helpful and patient. They did "lose"/cancel a dress I ordered (and loved :( )as they were switching to a new inventory system and it had not carried over as already 'sold'. But they gave me a nice credit for my disappointment.
Dec 11, 2012, 2:24pm   #35
m
mommyof5
You can join using this link

http://www.TheRealReal.com

And you can get $25 off until Dec 14 or 15th (I don't recall) using code REFER26
Last edited Dec 12, 2012 at 12:04am.
Dec 11, 2012, 11:24pm   #36
ShoeFanatic
I bought an awesome Versece dress on that site a few months ago!
Love the site, prices are low..sellers dont make much.
Dec 14, 2012, 8:50pm   #37
forgetmenot301
I recently purchased a fake Balenciaga handbag from therealreal.com. I had it authenticated here and it came back as fake...So far they have handled it quickly and emailed me a free return shipping label. They are also reimbursing me for shipping as well as the bag. I sent the bag back on the 12th so we will see how quickly they give me my money back. I will keep you guys updated if it ends up being a difficult process...Sadly, I will not be purchasing from the real real again.
Dec 14, 2012, 9:03pm   #38
D
DanielleKristin
Originally Posted by forgetmenot301
I recently purchased a fake Balenciaga handbag from therealreal.com. I had it authenticated here and it came back as fake...So far they have handled it quickly and emailed me a free return shipping label. They are also reimbursing me for shipping as well as the bag. I sent the bag back on the 12th so we will see how quickly they give me my money back. I will keep you guys updated if it ends up being a difficult process...Sadly, I will not be purchasing from the real real again.
Please do keep us updated as to the difficulty of the return! I recently bought another bal on there (usually buy from bal boutiques or after authenticating on TPF from online auctions), but realreal doesn't post the photos necessary to authenticate. Now I'm living in London so will have to have someone ship the bag abroad, and THEN I'll get it authenticated on here-so if it's fake it will already be quite a process. Would love to hear its at least quick if domestic!

I've heard of a lot of fakes on realreal-many people seem to fail to understand the "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't"...the bag I got wasn't that discounted, so fingers crossed (but anticipating the worst).

Hope your refund goes smoothly!
Dec 14, 2012, 9:04pm   #39
mranda
Originally Posted by forgetmenot301
How disappointing!!! Good thing you had it authenticated and didn't take their word for it.
Dec 15, 2012, 1:23am   #40
Pao9
Originally Posted by DanielleKristin
Please do keep us updated as to the difficulty of the return! I recently bought another bal on there (usually buy from bal boutiques or after authenticating on TPF from online auctions), but realreal doesn't post the photos necessary to authenticate. Now I'm living in London so will have to have someone ship the bag abroad, and THEN I'll get it authenticated on here-so if it's fake it will already be quite a process. Would love to hear its at least quick if domestic!

I've heard of a lot of fakes on realreal-many people seem to fail to understand the "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't"...the bag I got wasn't that discounted, so fingers crossed (but anticipating the worst).

Hope your refund goes smoothly!
I dont think they meant to sell a fake Balenciaga. They are a consignment store and selling a fake afffects their business. They do however have an issue with their authentication services. Do you have someone domestic that can maybe post pics on the authenticate thread before they send it to you?? Just a thought!
Dec 16, 2012, 7:20pm   #41
D
DanielleKristin
Originally Posted by Pao9
I dont think they meant to sell a fake Balenciaga. They are a consignment store and selling a fake afffects their business. They do however have an issue with their authentication services. Do you have someone domestic that can maybe post pics on the authenticate thread before they send it to you?? Just a thought!
Oh I don't think they intend to sell fakes-but if you read their terms, they don't actually attempt to authenticate anything (despite the authenticity guarantee), so I think it's a very buyer beware site...most brick and mortar consignment shops seem to have an expert able to at least attempt to authenticate items..

Sigh I wish-had shipped to my parents, so sadly I suspect their authentication photography skills will be limited!
Dec 23, 2012, 9:25pm   #42
forgetmenot301
Hi Ladies! I wanted to give you guys an update on my previous post about buying a fake balenciaga. I just received my money and overall it was a pretty easy process. They took the bag back with no questions asked. I will most likely not be making any future purchases from TheRealReal again. However, they handled the return process wonderfully and efficiently. I hope they get a better authentication process because selling fake items is simply NOT acceptable.
Jan 27, 2013, 9:50am   #43
MizzEve
I've purchased several items (1 dress, 1 coat, 1 jacket, 2 handbags) from them over the last week. Hopefully I'll receive the items early next week.

I did have an odd experience regarding shipping cost. The first time that I ordered, I could not get my log in to work. I was really upset because the coat that I was purchasing had been in someone else's cart and I had to stalk it for 14 minutes in order to get it into my cart. So when I couldn't complete the purchase, I was pretty frustrated. I called the customer service and they placed the order over the phone. I purchased a coat and a handbag. But because the two items were in different warehouses, I was charged separate shipping! If I would have purchased the items through their checkout, I would have paid only one shipping charge. Normally I would have brought this to their attention, but the reason that I couldn't log on was due to me not typing in the correct password. The customer service person was very nice and patient with me.
Feb 3, 2013, 3:03pm   #44
W
Wifeofchop
I've only consigned with them and so far I'm 50/50 about the experience.

Pros:
- My items were inventoried quickly and put up for sale either immediately or within a week of them receiving it
- A RealReal employee comes to my house to pick up the goods I want to consign. (No hassle on my part!)
- I love my rep, she's awesome!!
- about half of my items sold very quickly
- the consignment period is a generous 6 months

Cons:
- They only pay the 15th of each month for your previous month's sale, so if you sell something on Jan 1st, you won't get paid for it until 2/15.
- they asked me to register an account so I could view my sale items. Well I registered with my junk email address cause I didn't want to get their advertisements every other day in my normal email. Well somehow they got my normal email address (through my rep?) and so half my items are registered under one email address and the other half under my non spam address. It's a pain to check two accounts! Plus I'm getting their ad emails to my normal email just like I DIDN'T want. When my rep asked them to merge the two accounts, they said they didn't have that capability.
- I'm was supposed to receive $200 in site credits for consigning. I have received nothing so far even though I have asked repeatedly for the credits.
- if someone returns one of your items, they don't let you keep the commission from the original sale. Yoogis Closet does not put the burden of an indecisive buyer on their consigners. I wish RealReal had the same insight.
- Even if you can view items for sale in your account page, you have to hunt to see them on the website.
- they don't tell you what they are selling your item for before they list it. You have no input on pricing. ( I think the exceptions are Hermes and really expensive jewelry).

Would I recommend? If you're a laid back type of person and ave patience, then yes. They do all of the hard work. If you are a type A, avoid them!
Feb 3, 2013, 4:00pm   #45
b
bostonchic
I've had mixed experiences with them. My first purchase was a small Gucci bag they said was in "Good" condition. I, however, thought "good" was a little generous. I'd say it was "fair." The bag had a few more scuffs than I could see in the pics and the leather was quite faded on the outside, something they failed to mention. I also purchased a Chanel blouse they said was in "excellent" condition, but when it arrived it had a noticeable snag on it and the fabric was stained. They were very good about taking the blouse back, but I did have to follow up with them when they received the merchandise but didn't issue a refund. Other purchases have been great. I bought a pair of Jimmy Choo sandals and an Hermes tie for my husband, and both were flawless.

So overall, I think they have some great merchandise at great prices, but I feel they need to be a better judge of the condition of their items. I also wish they would estimate the age of their items, especially for designers like Chanel where it's printed on the tag. From now on when I shop there I only buy items that are listed as in excellent condition. That's my 2 cents. :-)
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >